Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Ryker 6,000 mile review

6,000 mile report, May 7 to Oct 22, 2020 (5 1/2 months)

Positive
    1. The Ryker is a lot of fun, whether instant acceleration from any speed or aggressive cornering.
    2. Many design aspects are very practical, from exhaust layout to a bit of storage in the glovebox.
    3. The driveshaft/swingarm design is streamlined and very smooth, as a Moto Guzzi V7II
    4. Solo seat is actually comfortable, especially compared to stock seat on 2012 Triump Bonneville or 2003 Sportster XLH 883.
    5. Engine oil and transmission is easy to drain, if on ramps. Refilling easy, with proper funnel.
    6. Cooling system very efficient, even in ambient over 110F.
    7. Amazing price point ($9,999 for base 900)
    8. Excellent turning radius and at a higher speed than a M/C at same radius

Concerns
    A. Changing CVT belt every year for a 1,000 mile per month rider makes maintenance costs a bit high. $220 for belt is OK, but if not DIY, then expensive labor. No provision to monitor belt life / width without removing cover.
    B. The Rotax 3 cylinder 900 motor delivers HP well, but cruising at 6,000 to 7,000 RPMs will likely affect life expectancy.
    C. Can-Am recommended service interval of 6,000 miles is extremely optimistic and most likely marketing driven. First service at 1,000 miles and every 5,000 miles, thereafter, with pure synthetic oil would likely prolong engine life.
    D. No parking / emergency brake. Transmission only equipped with cable operated parking pawl.
    E. Large axle nuts may impede roadside assistance for tire repair/replacement.

Negative
    a. 33 MPG (likely due to high RPMs) for a 611 pound machine does not provide a long range for a 5.28 gallon fuel tank.
    b. Probably due to higher RPMs, ear plugs are essential for rides above ~35 MPH.
    c. Stock front shocks do not control the front tires as should be expected. Replacing with 400 mm shocks, with full length springs, is a huge improvement and an extra 2" of ground clearance (base 900). Thank you Chris56 and Tslepebull.
    d. The mounting angle of the rear shock provides very harsh reaction on a rough road. The Rally model has a better mono shock, but same angle.
    e. Draining the final drive is a bit messy, but refilling through the disc brake slot is not an issue with tube from 75W90 bottle.
    f. Changing the oil filter is messy, especially cleaning out old oil. Any oil that spills is difficult to wash away and may drip from the bottom pan for a few days, even after attempting to clean in a coin-op car wash.
    g. Starting sequence is annoying: Key popped on, stop run on, press start button, roll throttle forward, press start button AGAIN, while foot on brake.
    h. Parking lever rattle annoying.
    i. Fuel pump whine slightly annoying, but probably not life expectancy issue.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Great detail thanks for review. I had the Ryker in mind when purchasing and the higher rpms and resulting noise level was a concern. Can Am could really advance the platform by lower the rpms.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Nice report Doc, thanks for sharing.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Jake checkin’ in

Hey Doc! You’re riding yours a lot more than I’m riding mine. I bought a 2020 Rally in March of this year and 0nly gave about 2500 miles on the odometer. I say about 2500 cause I’m not looking at it, at the moment. I shouldn’t say you ride more than me because I ride near;y every day. I just don’t go very far=:-)

That said, your mileage is better than mine IM averaging 25 MPG, but then I do a lot 0f riding on my farm and that means a lot of idling. Typically my longer rides are into the city (Ocala) and back. Maybe 30 miles round trip. Then too, I ride mine like I stole it Heavy on the throttle. Usually 80 MPH cruise speed on the interstate (I live 7 tenths of a mile off I-75) And if there’s traffic on 75, I’m going faster, so I don’t get run over

I’ve done zero maintenance with my Ryker. No oil; change yet. I did do one upgrade though. I replaced the OEM paper air filter for the CVT and used a K&N, which I bought from Baja Ron,along w/an oil filter kit from him. I’ll likely replace the motor oil when I hit 12 months ownership, and that isn’t far off

I did check the air pressure in my tires the other day. First time doing that in at least 3-4 months, and all three tires were down 4 PSI each, and probably contributed to my dismal MPG, but the low MPG doesn’t bother me, especially considering my two pick up trucks (F-150, F-250) are about half that?

I’m still riding mine bone stock. IOW, no wind protection, and the way I feel about it, I’m not going to install a windscreen any time soon. I don’t feel it’s needed

Other people’s comments about my Ryker? I had a biker guy try to talk me into letting his shop do some paint work on this trike, and some other mods. I told him it’s bone stock and I like it just the way it is

I’ll do some spirited riding with it regularly. I have a route I like to ride that has a mix of roads. Some where I can corner and get it to drift, that sort of stuff. I really like the way the stock suspension is set up on mine. I feel the front end hugs the road very well, in corners, on straights. I just don’t have any com-paints with this three wheeler

The last time I posted her was in July and one of the guys that have a ton of posts, have ridden a bunch of Spyderco, told me my front tires are trash and I’m going to want to replace them with automotive tires. Well, I’m happy with all three tires. I’m not against running dark side but at this point, I don’t see any reason to replace the OEM rubber

IMO, BRP hit it out of the park with the 2020 Ryker Rally. I can’t find anything to complain about with it. Others may have better and different ideas
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Jake, I took a break from posting early Aug after chastisement and advice in post 2 of this thread and uneducated comments from a non-Ryker rider in post 8.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-CVT-belt-wear

Regardless of the advice to "Ryde More, Worry Less" I typically ride about 1,000 miles per month as I did on the last 7 of my 17 motorcycles:

2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883

1,115 of the Ryker's 6,005 miles were done in 6 days in Sep:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Arizona-photos

I enjoyed riding the Ryker, appreciated the friends made on this forum, but cruising at 6,000 to 7,000 RPMs did not seem sustainable.

I sold it 22 Oct.

All that is left is a 2 1/2" socket, 3/4" drive. It is now a souvenir paper weight!

So, I have returned to the Sportster forum, where hopefully I can still make a few contributions.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread...986193&page=12

Best to all the Ryker riders on this forum...and the Spyder riders who understand the differences.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

Great report.. I have had my 2019 for about 9 months. I bought it used with 1400 miles on it and have about double that mileage. Two things I dont like are:
    1) the high cruising rpm’s (I really would prefer a 6-speed manual transmission with better rpm management) - as doc said this effects fuel economy and there is no reason the heavier bigger engined f3 should be getting far better fuel economy.
    2) up to 60mph its sooooooo much fun.. but highway speeds of 65-70+ i start to feel like I am bouncing and am being blown all over the road. Also if you adjust your throttle hand at all your speed dives down. So while i LOVE riding this thing on country roads at 55mph and even like it for around town. I really dont like it on the highway at all.

All in all, if i could afford it, I would probably trade it in on a manual transmission f3 as it fixes my concerns but I havent seen any that I can afford so I will just enjoy my ryker.

Spyder Garage

1) The high cruising RPMs are a result of the CVT setup. Great for instant acceleration, but not so great for fuel economy and probably not good for engine longevity...although 10W50 Castrol Power 1 (full synthetic) for the southwest climate may help longevity.

2) Stock front shocks do not control the front tires as should be expected. Replacing with 400 mm shocks, with full length springs, is a huge improvement (world of difference) and an extra 2" of ground clearance (base 900). Thank you Chris56 and Tslepebull. Wish I had not delayed changing them and could have enjoyed them on my 1,100 mile trip. Total cost with shipping was about $120. Tslepebull has the link, as I used the same as he.

Spyder Garage

@delkhouri- I read where you said your Ryker gets blown all over the road at hiway or interstate speeds, but you didn’t say which model of Ryker you have, other than it is 900cc’s so I noticed you have an entry on your ‘garage’ and I checked it out. It says you have a 2019 Ryker Rally. I’m riding a 2020 Ryker Rally and I have never experienced the problems you say you are having at higher speeds. In fact, my 2020 Ryker Rally feels well planted at high speeds. I’m at a loss to suggest what you should do to correct the problems you’re having at speed. I noticed Doc suggested for you to install, or at least think about going with longer shocks in the front end. After reading that I wondered if there is a difference in the shocks that are installed on the 2019 vs. 2020 Rally models, as again, I’m just not experiencing anything less than stellar handling at speed

That said, there is one thing I would suggest you try, and it won’t cost you a penny, unless you pay someone to try/do what I’m about to suggest. If your 2019 has the same shocks on it both front and rear, what you might want to try is to tighten the rear shock tension via the adjusters on the shock. You have a locking collar on the rear shock. Loosen it and then turn the other shock collar so the spring starts to compress. What this time might do and I want to emphasize might, it may increase rear ride height. Again, I say it may increase rear ride height. For sure, it will bolster the compression of that shock, but if it affects rear ride height by increasing it, that should put more weight on the front end making the steering more responsive. I could be full of it but here’s why I suggest you try it-

MY 2020 Ryker Rally was set up by the dealer I bought it from, with the stock rear shock compressed more than the standard setting. Why? I told them before I picked it up that my wife would be riding pillion so they told me they compressed the rear spring to compensate for her weight. Well, she never ridden pillion more than a half dozen miles. Although she enjoyed riding pillion around our farm on the back off my Ryker, she only rode on paved local roads one time at speeds of around 45 MPH and she became sicker than a dog those short 6 miles

It seems the narrow pillion saddle on the Ryker tended to make her sway from side to side thereby giving her a sea sick sort of feeling. I told her maybe she should try taking Dramamine before riding pillion again on public roads riding with me and let’s put it this way, that was the last time we discussed that. She’ll have no part of riding pillion on the Ryker. Now what I have heard her say to me and that was she would be open to try riding pillion on a Can Am Spyder. I’d love to hear feedback from any members reading this, if their spouse had a similar reaction, riding pillion on the Ryker and on public paved roads, then rode pillion on a Spyder and had a better experience. I’m going to guess this sampling is going to be small if not non existent altogether...

But getting back to delkhouri and his Ryker Rally’s poor handling at speed, if both of our Rally’s are identically set up (with the same suspension), and the only difference being is the rear shock setting, I think it would be worth a try compressing the rear spring to see if doing that one adjustment doesn’t clear up the issue you are having riding at speed

I’ll repeat myself one more time in the above regard...I’m thinking it’s possible that by having the rear shock compressed, it’s raising the rear ride height enough that it’s putting more weight on the front which in turn may allow the front end to become more planted at speed, as I’m not thinking there are any other differences between our two Ryker Rally’s

I would think in the least that by compressing the rear spring, the rear end would squat less when you sit on it, thereby putting more weight on the front end. To my way of thinking, it might be worth a try. Someone more famous 0nce said- “what have you got to lose?”

@ Doc. Sorry to hear you are leaving us. You have contributed greatly to the discussions here on this forum. It’s true, the RPM’s are really up there when cruising at interstate speeds, and in turn the fuel economy suffers. I can see where that would turn a few of us off, especially if you lived at those speeds constantly. It’s obvious the Ryker was never designed to be a cross country tourer, although it can be ridden that way if one would want to ride that way. I am going to respectfully disagree that the high RPM’s will ensure a shorter engine lifespan. For sure, you will have to stop more often to refuel, unless you install some sort of auxiliary fuel vessel. Heck, I had to do that to my 2002 Honda Silverwing scooter before I took that scooter on a cross country trip back in 2004 when i rode it to the mile high mayhem scooter rally in Denver Colorado, in 2004. That scooter, also CVT powered couldn’t go very far before you had to stop to refuel so what I did was to buy a 4 gallon fuel tank a vendor was making here in Fla. for dirt track cars, and so I tied that 4 gallon fuel tank onto the Silverwing’s pillion using a bungee cargo net and then I ran fuel line under the Tupperware, into a new gas cap a friend made for me which was nothing more than a Stant radiator cap with a machined piece of aluminum stock he turned in his home lathe then threaded a 90 degree elbow into that cap which routed the aux fuel into OEM Silverwing’s fuel tank. That system worked well as the stock fuel tank was just a tad more than 4 gallons so when the low fuel signal on the scooters dashboard signaled, you were low on fuel, I turned the petcock I installed inline for the aux fuel and it transferred the fuel so there was never any concern of pouring too much fuel back into the OEM fuel tank

I guess what I’m saying is,i would do something similar (hooking up an aux fuel cell) on my Ryker Rally if I was so inclined to want to ride it long distance. To me and my way of thinking, that’s the only real short coming of any of the Ryker’s, to ride LD. That said, others here have found different short comings with their Ryker, but to me, that’s the essence of modding any two or three wheeler, to make it a little more accomadating to your wishes of how to ride it
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

@shakin_jake

Thanks for the tips. Yes I do have a 2019 Ryker rally, I have the oem windshield on it and the bajaron swaybar, I have also tried compressing and loosening the shock on it. It handles great, tight and planted. I feel very confident on it on normal backroads and around town. Really anything up to speed of around 60 MPH.. but there is something about hitting 65-70mph+ that it just feels twitchy and floaty. I feel like I am being tossed all over the road. I had my buddy ride it and he agreed, he has 25 years of riding experience (mostly honda and harley cruisers) but he had never ridden a can am before. I have only had it since february and I have only put on about 1400 miles so Maybe it am still getting used to its riding attributes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    It seems the narrow pillion saddle on the Ryker tended to make her sway from side to side thereby giving her a sea sick sort of feeling. I told her maybe she should try taking Dramamine before riding pillion again on public roads riding with me and let’s put it this way, that was the last time we discussed that. She’ll have no part of riding pillion on the Ryker. Now what I have heard her say to me and that was she would be open to try riding pillion on a Can Am Spyder. I’d love to hear feedback from any members reading this, if their spouse had a similar reaction, riding pillion on the Ryker and on public paved roads, then rode pillion on a Spyder and had a better experience. I’m going to guess this sampling is going to be small if not non existent altogether...
    I fully understand your wife (greetings !) - try the following : give away the complete passenger seat and make a test with your wife on a cushion direkt on the maxmount ... I use a special foam ( 1 inch high) and a topcase (GIVI) with a soft backrest for her - 16.000 miles now sometimes eight hours a day and she loves it ..
    (the price was around halve of the socalled "Comfort passenger seat")
    I also had to make the driver seat 2 inch higher, she diddn`t like to have her helmet "over" mine, specially when we drive over 80 mph on longer tours ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-kbtm6JEV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5xzeyHToM
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I fully understand your wife (greetings !) - try the following : give away the complete passenger seat and make a test with your wife on a cushion direkt on the maxmount ... I use a special foam ( 1 inch high) and a topcase (GIVI) with a soft backrest for her - 16.000 miles now sometimes eight hours a day and she loves it ..
    (the price was around halve of the socalled "Comfort passenger seat")
    I also had to make the driver seat 2 inch higher, she diddn`t like to have her helmet "over" mine, specially when we drive over 80 mph on longer tours ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-kbtm6JEV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5xzeyHToM

~~~hi Chris! Thanks for the suggestions. Trying to get my wife to ride pillion on the Ryker is a lost cause, she just isn’t interested. I know from watching your videos that you and yours thoroughly enjoy sharing time on the Ryker, and from the 3ay you explained you have yours set up, it makes perfect sense for the two of you. I would try the suggestions you offer if I could borrow a Givi top case (W/mount) along with the obligatory back rest. That said, too bad I didn’t keep the Givi Cade I used to use on both an St1100 (Honda pan euro) then I fitted that same case to a Honda Silverwing scooter, a 2002 model I bought used in 2003. Funny enough, the fellow that bought my ST didn’t wantbthe Givi top case so when I bought the Swing (AKA Honda Silverwing scooter) I mounted that case on the Swing, then the Swing was sold off after a few years (2006 IIRC) and that buyer didn’t wantbthe Givi so I kept it but uncharacteristically for me, I sold it when it sat unused. I had purchased a GTS Vespa and try as I am, I can’t seem to remember the vintage. I want to say it is a 2013 I bought new in 2014 but I’m having a hard time trying to remember what I bought/rode for a maxi scooter replacement between selling off the Swing in 2006 then acquiring the GTS Vespa in 2014? Irregardless, the Givi sat around unused so I sold it

Getting back to your suggestions, if I could borrow the Givi trunk then mount it along with the requisite adaptor plate for the Ryker Max mount, I’d set it up and see about getting my better half back onto the pillion, but again, she’s just not that fond of riding anymore. A day ago (yesterday) we were in one of our trucks in Ocala Fla. city traffic when some older gentleman rode past us on a black newish Can Am Spyder RT. My wife says to me rather matter of fact-ly “I thought you were going to come back home with one of those when instead you showed up with the Ryker”. Me, thinking to myself-“what a load of bullocks”, believe it or not, that wasn’t the first time this same scenario happened, her seeing someone on a fully loaded RT Spyder suggesting to me that she though I was going to buy a Spyder when all along she knew full well I was going to br9ng home the Ryker Rally If have...

Anyways, yeah, the old girl just isn’t interested in riding two up like we used to do. This has to do with the farm animals we take care of more than anything else. We just don’t have the down time necessary to invest in two up motorcycle riding like we once use to do and enjoy. Back when we both lived in the lower Fla. Keys, we both looked forward to riding together on the same bike, but those days are past us, at the moment. Perhaps once we reach major burn out and begin to divest in the majority of the animals we now take care of, perhaps we will start riding two up again, but right now...she’s just not interested in getting back 0nto a pillion, and forget about her riding her own two wheeler, that’s not going to happen either

I’ll say this. She has 9ndicated to me several times that if I/we had an RT Spyder, she would try riding pillion on it, but there’s no way she’ll ever get onto the back of my Ryker, the motion sickness thing really got to her, and once she gets an idea in her head, you’re not going to change her mind, unfortunate as that is. I’m pretty sure I’ve said this here before but the reason I bought a Ryker (one of, mainly?) was because I has an idea it was just going to be me riding it. Also, I knew I wanted to buy a new Can Am and the Ryker price point was something I could afford. Let’s face it, dropping $11K is a lot easier than twice that amount and buying a new RT is every bit twice that of a Ryker. Fortunately for me, the Ryker really fits my lifestyle, I like it but, if I could afford to, I’d also own an RT Spyder so I would have both options at my disposal. I use to do a lot of cross country riding on my Honda ST and I enjoyed being on the road for a few weeks at a time. This is just my opinion but I’d rather have an RT Spyder to munch miles here in the states Chris, rather than the Ryker. I can understand you preferring the Ryker to the Spyder and I have an idea that’s because of the roads you have to ride where you live. The Ryker is the sportier of the two, no doubt but the way I ride cross country, I think the Spyder RT would be a better fit for me but I’m just not doing that kind of riding at the moment so the Ryker is the best single fit for me now
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Thats a great post and a very good review, I agree with just about everything you stated.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

I've always been a bit bothered by the fuel mileage on the Ryker. It pretty much ticks every box for me except that tiny detail always looming there in the background. Of course, I do realize that the Ryker is a vastly different machine than a motorcycle but I would've absolutely have loved if it was closer in that regard.
    Seeing the "smiles per gallon" argument has always felt like dismissing the issue to me, that's sorta why I felt like writing this, to begin with. It's refreshing to see someone even mention it for once. If there's nobody with problems, there's no need for someone fixing them either.
    Gas price here is twice that of most users here, more compared to some places. Thankfully the tank is sorta small so at least the numbers won't be that high each time you visit the gas station. Regardless, I've always felt like there's potential for improvement in that department. Sadly I can't really test stuff out without owning a Ryker myself so it's a bit of a catch 22 for me in that regard. Hopefully, the rumored driveline improvements will bring with it some increase in efficiency though I'm not too hopeful at this point. Anyways, there are my thoughts, Frost out.

Spyder Garage

What driveline improvements are rumored?

Of the negative points, really only cruising RPMs, to which the fuel economy is related, is a major or significant item.

Upgrading the front shocks is easy and relatively expensive.

Without those potential improvements in the future it is still an excellent configuration and a fun machine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frostmork View Post
    . Sadly I can't really test stuff out without owning a Ryker myself so it's a bit of a catch 22 for me in that regard.

~~~so why not buy one (used), run it for a bit & if you don’t care for it, sell it as easily as you purchased it. Lots of blokes do that all the time. Let the initial buyer take the hit and buy it from him or the 3rd owner , or the 4th...been doing that with luxury wristwatches myself. That said, when I bought my 2020 Ryker Rally, I knew I wanted it, good, bad and or fugly, but admittedly, I’m now considering running a want to trade ad here on our forum to see if someone with a Spyder might want to do an outright trade, with or with out cash on either end, just because I think I’d like to swap, yet it is a big under taking and why I haven’t moved forward with it. I rather enjoy my Ryker and am trying to find some way to take time off from my responsibilities here on our farm, and skate down to Key West for a little refresco. It was me birthday the 14th and I don’t need any other excuses, f#%k off for a bit, don’t cha know=:-)

Look, I’ve been curious about other bikes in the past and did just that. Buy them 2nd and or 3rd, 4th hand, rather than new. Most of us always have some sort of lingering doubt, just like you have here Frostmork, so take a leap of faith and buy one used. See if it’s a keeper, for a while anyways, then get back with us
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Oh I absolutely would, was very close to getting a Spyder a few years ago. Then they released the Ryker and I got to briefly try one and my desires shifted entirely to the Ryker instead. Especially as I could get a brand new one for less money than a very old Spyder. Sadly the market here is very tiny still. There's no second hand Rykers for sale. You can sometimes get used ones from a dealer but they're barely broken in so the price is right up there with the new ones. They face a lot of prejudice around here since there's so few and nobody has really gotten to try them. I thought there would be a couple of used 19 models by now but nope, not a single one.

Spyder Garage

You may want to contact Greven a forum member since October 2019 who is also in Sweden.

Spyder Garage

Nice to see someone noticed my presence! Just kidding, thanks for the mention SportsterDoc

SportsterDoc's review is really spot on, and I agree about most of it.

My personal take/opinion on the points mentioned already in the thread, and adding some of my own thoughts after 1,5 years with the Ryker;
    1. Fuel milage - yes it is quite high for a bike, mainly due to the rather high cruising RPM. And while I can see why it would be a concern if using a Ryker as a daily driver, the fuel related difference in cost of ownership compared to a 2 wheel 600cc is in my opinion negligible when using a Ryker as a recreational/hobby vechicle. Same goes for the tank size, I would not mind having a gallon more fuel capacity, but it is not a big deal since after ~200km it is about time for a leg stretcher anyways.
    2. Maintainance costs - compared to a traditional 2 wheeler, the costs are higher both due to the very few dealers to choose from, and due to the CVT belt service. Comparatively the costs are high, but I choose to divide the expected costs into $ per season, and I dont find it very expensive. Also, once the warranty runs out I plan to do maintainance myself, and then the cost is very affordable.
    3. Accesories - There's quite a decent supply of after market stuff, considering the niché market. But the Ryker specific stuff is really expensive, no matter if it is bags, mufflers etc. If cost is important, once has to be a bit ingenious and try to adapt generic motorbike stuff to fit for example.
    4. social acceptance - This is a mixed bag! Everyone either loves the Ryker, or hates it and will make snide and rude comments. I try to not care, and when I ride it I truely just enjoy the experience. But deep down it does bother me a little, and it does feel annoying when people see the Ryker as a vechicle for people who cant drive a 2 wheeler due to disability, or due to lack of skills to take a 2 wheel licence. When driving with my friends who have traditional 2 wheel bikes, they cant help but ask when I will get a "real bike". I guess that is just the price one has to pay to think outside the box, and be brave enough to try something different though
    5. quality - mechanically I think the Rykers are quite allright. The Rotax engines are well known to hold up well in other applications, but of course only time can tell how the complete powertrain will hold up in the Ryker over time. Considering the premium price, I did expect a little bit higher cosmetic quality. More specifically fit and finish of body panels, the clear coat on the rally wheels etc.

I realize my points above may sound like I lean to the negative side. I am however really happy about my Ryker Rally, and I do not regret my purchase.
    It has given me a lot of great riding, and I cant wait for the winter to pass so I can bring it out again!

Shoutout to Frostmork, and any other Spyder or Ryker rider in Sweden. If you are around Västmanland area, shoot me a PM and I'll fill up a thermus of coffee and will be more than happy to share my best Ryker roads I've found in the area

Spyder Garage

My concern about RPMs is related to long distance/sustained high cruising speeds in Arizona, Utah and Nevada.
    Speed limit sign is MPH, not KPH.
    Yes, it is capable of at least 107 MPH, but that is at red line, over 8,200 RPM.
    So, my concern is sustainability.
    Rotax is well built motor, but that is a lot of RPMs.

All comments/questions about the Ryker have been positive, such as "that looks like fun!"...and it loved traffic circles/round abouts!!

Never had anyone disparage anything I have ridden, at least not to my face.

Utah 80 MPH speed limit.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post

All comments/questions about the Ryker have been positive, such as "that looks like fun!"...and it loved traffic circles/round abouts!!

Never had anyone disparage anything I have ridden, at least not to my face.

Utah 80 MPH speed limit.jpg

I have to agree with Doc about this. I have had a lot of parking lot questions about my Ryker Rally and positive comments. I have also had my annual safety inspection done at the local Harley Davison dealer twice (2019 and 2020). Both times the grizzly hard core Harley technicians have all come out and stood in line like little kids in front of the swing set to get a chance to ride it around the parking lot.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow