Spyder Garage

Default 2020-21 RTL comfort seat and being tall?

I'm in the process of getting a 2021 RTL. I was wondering if the comfort seat is worth the extra? I'm a bigger guy and would like to take off on some long trips. I rode a new one for 15 minutes. Not much of an evaluatiom for road tripping. I also wondered if there are any owners of the new model that are at least 6'2". I have ridden an f3-s for 5 years and love the rider position but also like the new RTL for the creature comforts. Would appreciate any info on the upgraded seat and how comfortable it is for tall guy.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Morturf View Post
    I'm in the process of getting a 2021 RTL. I was wondering if the comfort seat is worth the extra? I'm a bigger guy and would like to take off on some long trips. I rode a new one for 15 minutes. Not much of an evaluatiom for road tripping. I also wondered if there are any owners of the new model that are at least 6'2". I have ridden an f3-s for 5 years and love the rider position but also like the new RTL for the creature comforts. Would appreciate any info on the upgraded seat and how comfortable it is for tall guy.
    I am 6'3" and have no problems with the stock seat. I spent 14 hours of riding over 2 days and was comfortable. The floor boards on the new models make a world of difference. I would suggest you put on some miles before you decide.

Current 2021 RTL Chrome Chalk / Previous Spyder - 2010 RTS-Premier Edition #115 Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmur View Post
    I am 6'3" and have no problems with the stock seat. I spent 14 hours of riding over 2 days and was comfortable. The floor boards on the new models make a world of difference. I would suggest you put on some miles before you decide.
    Agreed. I’ve done a couple 6hr+ saddle days and the stock seat was fine. Ride it for a while before you add $ you might not need.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would tend to agree however, depending on your on hand cash, if you think you might need/want the Comfort seat, you might consider buying it as part of the package deal. It's not cheap ($700?) and you may get a discount by buying it along with the new bike and you can probably roll that cost into your monthly payments. I did that with a new helmet ($1000 for the lid and comm system). It raised my monthly payment by about $4 and the interest on the loan is less than the interest on my credit card. (I don't have an extra grand I could have paid in cash.)

Spyder Garage

I’m 6’2” and find the stock seat very comfy. I would use that money for other mods, personally.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Blue

Spyder Garage

Go to an experienced motorcycle seat customizer and get it tailored to your butt and posture. We just did.

DSCN2840.jpg

20201020_204727(0).jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only possible issue with that is that most end up raising you up (especially if you're a big guy like me). I want to sit LOWER, not higher. I want to be comfortable but not if I'm going to be 2" higher (which is what Seth Laam told me a couple weeks ago). Not sure if this makes a difference to the OP or not.

Spyder Garage

I am 6'6", and just did 1208 miles on a road trip through northern AZ, southern UT, and southeastern NV, and the stock seat was just fine. I had to spend considerable dough on an Ultimate brand seat for my motorcycle to be able to stand long days in the saddle, so I figured that would be the case on the Spyder. But, I am pleasantly surprised that I won't be having to budget for that now. I will say this though; I am very glad I installed a backrest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    The only possible issue with that is that most end up raising you up (especially if you're a big guy like me). I want to sit LOWER, not higher. I want to be comfortable but not if I'm going to be 2" higher (which is what Seth Laam told me a couple weeks ago). Not sure if this makes a difference to the OP or not.
    This is EXACTLY why I go in person with my bike to the seat customizer. We discuss what I want and need and he does it. I did not want to be higher, but a bit lower would be nice and he did it.
    MONK....That saddle is an Ultimate that wasn't quite right for me. Now it is!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the insight. Appreciate your help
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

I’m 6’3” and weigh 240#, and find the stock seat very comfortable. On hot days (90+), I put my Airhawk “Large R” pad over the seat for added cooling. My only problem is that the handlebars are a little low for my liking, and would love taller bars that would NOT move the bars closer to me.

Big John 2020 Can-Am Spyder RT "Blue Belle"

’59 Vespa 150 Motorscooter
    ’63 Honda 50 Super Sport Motorcycle
    ’63 Honda 250 Scrambler
    ’64 Honda 305 Super Hawk
    ’68 Bennelli 360 single
    ’72 Honda CB500 4 cyl
    ’72 Moto Guzzi Ambassador 750 w/Sidecar
    ’75 Harley Superglide
    ’78 Honda Goldwing
    ’72 Norton Combat Commando
    '89 Suzuki 600 Katana
    '90 Suzuki 600 Katana
    '89 Kawasaki 1000R ZX10 Ninja (Black)
    '79 Honda CBX 1000 6 cyl (Red)
    '87 Honda Hurricane 1000
    '86 Kawasaki ZX750 Turbo
    '96 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic
    '97 Harley FLHTCUI w/Magna Supercharger
    '99 Cagiva Gran Canyon
    '99 BMW K1200LT
    ’05 BMW K1200LT
    ’07 Piaggio MP3 (Red)
    ’03 Aprilia Atlantic 500
    ’08 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
    2020 RT , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Want the bars higher? Loosen the clamp, but leave some friction, raise the bars to where you want them (your left wrist should be straight with your forearm) and tighten. Torque is 28 +/- 3 lb-ft.