Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster 2020+ RT Mirror Locks

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...-mirror-locks/

Installed these tonight and WOW! What a difference. My right mirror was loose (left was fine) and I knew I needed something. I was a bit torn between Lamonts version or Squared Aways version. I chose Lamonts only because there was more information about them. (Most here know my level of mechanical expertise.....or lack thereof. I need all the visual help I can get.)

The whole process took me about 20 minutes. If I'd had the right tools, I probably could have done it in 15 minutes. If I had any skillz and had the right tools, I probably could have done it in 12 minutes.

You'll need the following tools: 8mm, 10mm and 12mm DEEP sockets (or the same size DEEP nut drivers) and a T20 driver/bit. (I don't have deep anything which is why I said I didn't have the right tools. I had to do part of the install with an 8mm open end wrench.)

The process itself is super simple but I'd make a suggestion. You'll need to remove the triangular trim piece (the part with the X in the pic) Lamont mentions in his video. Install the mirror base (the part that mounts to the bike with (4) T20 screws) and the main mirror section (the part that bolts to the base that the mirror and cover screw/snap on to) THEN reinstall the triangular trim piece. It's easier to reinstall it if you can get under it with your fingers to maneuver it around and you can't do that once the mirror itself is screwed back on to the main mirror section. Once the triangular trim piece is reinstalled, reinstall the mirror and cover and VOILA! You're done.

Two thumbs up to Lamont!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been there done that - works!
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Another vote for Lamonster mirror locks,
    Sure, BRP has a fix that your dealer will install at no charge, but what the hell good is it if it's not available ?
    I've got roughly 1,000 miles on Lamonsters kit.
    I'm VERY happy with it.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I agree. The mirror shake was so bad, I made some wedges to take the vibration out. However they were noticeable and it wasn't a perfect fix. I ordered the Lamonster mirror locks the day they came out. Monk is right. This was an easy installation and solved the problem. Incredible difference. BTW, great price.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Alright, I'm sold, I'm getting the mirror lock from Lamonster. I have one on back order from my dealer who is an hour and half from my house, then the wait time, and if they don't do it right, this is a no brainer. Guess what, my dealer service guy ordered a mirror fix from BRP and he ordered the wrong one when there was only two choices, grrrr, oh well, now of course they are not available. Oh, it all worked out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the BuRP mirror fix is only stronger U shaped springs. As Lamont said in his video, the only thing that flexes now is the plastic base. No way around that without remanufacturing it out of metal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the BuRP mirror fix is only stronger U shaped springs. As Lamont said in his video, the only thing that flexes now is the plastic base. No way around that without remanufacturing it out of metal.
    No. The BRP fix replaces the springs with brass hard mounts.
    Lamont's fix is similar with one important and crucial difference: IT'S AVAILABLE NOW !!!!!
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Installed these tonight and WOW! What a difference. My right mirror was loose (left was fine) and I knew I needed something. I was a bit torn between Lamonts version or Squared Aways version. I chose Lamonts only because there was more information about them. (Most here know my level of mechanical expertise.....or lack thereof. I need all the visual help I can get.)

The whole process took me about 20 minutes. If I'd had the right tools, I probably could have done it in 15 minutes. If I had any skillz and had the right tools, I probably could have done it in 12 minutes.

You'll need the following tools: 8mm, 10mm and 12mm DEEP sockets (or the same size DEEP nut drivers) and a T20 driver/bit. (I don't have deep anything which is why I said I didn't have the right tools. I had to do part of the install with an 8mm open end wrench.)

The process itself is super simple but I'd make a suggestion. You'll need to remove the triangular trim piece (the part with the X in the pic) Lamont mentions in his video. Install the mirror base (the part that mounts to the bike with (4) T20 screws) and the main mirror section (the part that bolts to the base that the mirror and cover screw/snap on to) THEN reinstall the triangular trim piece. It's easier to reinstall it if you can get under it with your fingers to maneuver it around and you can't do that once the mirror itself is screwed back on to the main mirror section. Once the triangular trim piece is reinstalled, reinstall the mirror and cover and VOILA! You're done.

Two thumbs up to Lamont!
    Mine should be here this week. I went ahead and took my mirrors off because my right mirror was vibrating so bad it was useless and although the left mirror was not shaking, the two large dash trim pieces (above the top of the piece that you marked) were completely separated which left a huge gap just above and to the side of the mirror. So I took both mirrors off to fix the mirror shake and the gap on the left side plastic pieces. I was able to snap the 2 plastice pieces back together very easily but I am shaking my head that BRP QC could allow these things to happen - kind of makes me wonder what else they missed that I cannot see.

Spyder Garage

Just an FYI to those getting ready to do this:

If you have a 20-21, the front cover part of the mirror comes off easily by using a plastic pry tool working the gap between the mirror housing and the cover. They are 3 spring clamps just like the ones used on the body side panels: One is at the extreme outside edge and the other two are on the inside part, one on top and one on the bottom. Just work your pry tool in these 3 areas and it will come off easily.

Once you have the front housing piece off, the videos show that you need to just pull down hard on the mirror to release the knobs from the spring retainers but I chose to remove the 2 lower knobs by unscrewing them instead (no force needed) and then just use slight pressure to pull the mirror from the remaining upper knob and spring. If you chose to unscrew them, you will need a thin 12mm wrench (like an ignition wrench) to get at the back of the knob.

Then its just a phillips head screwdriver to remove the screws holding the piece that has the springs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    ...you need to just pull down hard on the mirror to release the knobs from the spring retainers...
    FYI---You need to pull UP on the mirror, NOT down.

Spyder Garage

FYI---You need to pull UP on the mirror, NOT down.
    I stand corrected. (Actually I am sitting.)

I was going by memory of the video since I didn't actually remove mine that way - I unscrewed the knobs.

Spyder Garage

Two thumbs up to Lamont!
    My left side was loose from 1000 miles when it was new. I just got the mirror locks. Just installing them, you know it is a much better system. Right side is fine, but if it loosens up I have the other set to do that.

Spyder Garage

As Lamont says in his installation video, "if you're handy, you can make them yourself". So I did. Some aluminum bar stock I had laying around and some metric machine screws and nuts from the hardware store and part of an afternoon when I had nothing else to do. Works like a champ. Vibration free mirrors. And it kept me out of the bar and pool hall.

Spyder Garage

650 miles on my 2021 and hit a good size hole in the road yesterday. Now my left mirror has that shake in it. Ordered a set of these last night. Yet something else I have to buy to make the Spyder work like it should. I love the ride but this stuff is really adding up.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP had to know about this mirror issue on the 2020 and yet they pump out the 2021 with the same issue. I dunno, maybe they had a boat load of the mirrors on inventory so they used them. I'd like to know about those that got BRP mirror fix are happy and have no shake issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    BRP had to know about this mirror issue on the 2020 and yet they pump out the 2021 with the same issue. I dunno, maybe they had a boat load of the mirrors on inventory so they used them. I'd like to know about those that got BRP mirror fix are happy and have no shake issue.
    Bill,

The BuRP mirror fix is basically what Lamont sells but in a fancier version (like you're ever going to see the guts of the mirror). I've heard a few Spyder owners who have said BuRP has installed their own "fix" for free but I think that is just a good relationship with their dealer. I don't think it has anything to do with the Mother Ship. Something like $70 for the fancy brass parts and I'm sure another $100 in labor to install. Crazy when even a mechanically challenged guy like me did the job in 20 minutes. Just sad, really.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Then its just a phillips head screwdriver to remove the screws holding the piece that has the springs.
    It's actually a T20.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bill,

The BuRP mirror fix is basically what Lamont sells but in a fancier version (like you're ever going to see the guts of the mirror). I've heard a few Spyder owners who have said BuRP has installed their own "fix" for free but I think that is just a good relationship with their dealer. I don't think it has anything to do with the Mother Ship. Something like $70 for the fancy brass parts and I'm sure another $100 in labor to install. Crazy when even a mechanically challenged guy like me did the job in 20 minutes. Just sad, really.

HAGO!
    Had a chat with my dealer's shop guy, he said BRP was out of stock on the mirror fix and had no assurance when he would get his back order fix, he did offer a free fix when he got the BRP packet. He further said that he had fixed a few mirrors with the BRP pack and had reports that the mirrors still had 'some' shake, so it did not completely resolve the problem. I told him about the Lamonster Garage fix and sent him a link to the video, he said he was gonna order a few packets so he'd have them for those customers that wanted a fix 'now' and not have to wait.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Had a chat with my dealer's shop guy...I told him about the Lamonster Garage fix and sent him a link to the video, he said he was gonna order a few packets so he'd have them for those customers that wanted a fix 'now' and not have to wait.
    Heh. Lamont should offer to sell these to BuRP. Buy 1000, get 5 free!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, I find it interesting that entrepreneurs can build all ya want of a widget fix or improvement, for 'BuRP' it's one of those almost impossible tasks that takes forever, go figure.

Spyder Garage

Bill,

HAGO!
    Just for information purposes. BRP will install the fix for free as part of a Technical Service Bulletin.
    I'm still thinking Lamont's solution is better.

Mirror.jpg
    IBA #47122

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree, why not go with the proven method. The price is certainly right considering it fixes both mirrors for 11 bucks and change, a trip to the dealer and wait time. A no brainer in my book. Just my opinion, no arm twisting here.