Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control speeds up or slows down after setting? Anyone else?

Have issues with cruise control. After setting my cruise at 70 the trike starts to speed up or drop off. the speedometer stays where it is set. My wife follows me and asks why I speed up or down. I checked this with another rider, when I followed them I would fall back or catch up to them. Has this happened to others and what is wrong?

Spyder Garage

You might be over riding the system. Two things come to mind, touching the brake pedal, or shifting gears. Doing either requires you to push the re-set button.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This does this by itself. I don't touch the brake or anything. Cruise is set and speed stays at that speed. The bike speeds up or slows down with cruise on, and speed number never change.

Spyder Garage

If you are on a level road, once you set the CC how does the digital tach read? Does it fluctuate up and down and, if so, how much? If, as you say, the speedo remains at the speed at which you set it but the bike speeds up and slows down there appears to be a sensor problem somewhere.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Is it just 1 or 2 mph or so, then it settles at that speed?? Or is it a gradual & ongoing 'speed up or slow down' event??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What Peter said. If it's a couple of miles per hour, that's normal. Cars do that, too. If it's 5mph or more, there's an issue, possibly a sensor issue as Jay said. My cruise control is good up to 80mph which I think is the preset limit.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    You might be over riding the system. Two things come to mind, touching the brake pedal, or shifting gears. Doing either requires you to push the re-set button.
    .... My 14 RT works exactly as designed ..... however if you slightly increase the throttle, the Spyder will accelerate - if you release it will return to what you set it at ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... My 14 RT works exactly as designed ..... however if you slightly increase the throttle, the Spyder will accelerate - if you release it will return to what you set it at ...... Mike
    Exactly the way mine works. My brake pedal is also sensitive enough that if I want to cancel the CC I don't have to step on the brake, I can just tap it to the left with my toe and cancel it.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I think it's normal. If you both set the cruise control, you will never stay the same speed no matter what bike you have. I will follow my friends RT on the interstate or he follows me. The one it back will always be adjusting the cruise up and down.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

There is a mite if a lag on CC systems, even on cages; e.g., if you have the CC set and you hit a long, steep uphill the speedo will drop until the CC catches it and applies more throttle to get you back to the speed at which you set the CC, while if you reach the top of the uphill and head down the other side the speedo will overshoot the speed at which you set it and it will reduce the throttle until you arrive back at the speed at which you originally set it.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S