Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Base Model Rear Shock Air Valve - PITA

My rear shock leaks about 1 PSI a day. Not sure if this is a warranty item but since I will likely replace the rear shock with an aftermarket one in a few months, I opted to figure out a way to at least make the valve more accessible. The location of the valve is extremely hard to get to - behind the drivers seat hinge and hard to get a air gauge in there let alone an air fill tool. Not a mission critical issue but it does pose an issue if it becomes too soft.

Pics show what I did. Cost about $20 of stuff from Amazon. There is room for the longer hose along the center frame so the seat doesn't bottom out against the hose. Note the teflon tape is NOT to prevent leaks - I put it there as insurance to keep the nuts from loosening. Removed the valve cores from the bike's valve and the 2 elbow valves so only one core is used and that one is in the flexible longer hose. I have a couple of zip ties and zip tie mounting blocks holding the hose in place. The elbows don't need any support but you could add a couple of zip ties and mounts if you feel the need .....

So far it isn't leaking any worse than before. I check it while I am checking my tire pressures before every ride. Maybe this will help someone.

IMG_20201020_1527486.jpg IMG_20201020_1527326.jpg IMG_20201020_1517289.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    My rear shock leaks about 1 PSI a day. Not sure if this is a warranty item but since I will likely replace the rear shock with an aftermarket one in a few months, I opted to figure out a way to at least make the valve more accessible. The location of the valve is extremely hard to get to - behind the drivers seat hinge and hard to get a air gauge in there let alone an air fill tool. Not a mission critical issue but it does pose an issue if it becomes too soft.

Pics show what I did. Cost about $20 of stuff from Amazon. There is room for the longer hose along the center frame so the seat doesn't bottom out against the hose. Note the teflon tape is NOT to prevent leaks - I put it there as insurance to keep the nuts from loosening. Removed the valve cores from the bike's valve and the 2 elbow valves so only one core is used and that one is in the flexible longer hose. I have a couple of zip ties and zip tie mounting blocks holding the hose in place. The elbows don't need any support but you could add a couple of zip ties and mounts if you feel the need .....

So far it isn't leaking any worse than before. I check it while I am checking my tire pressures before every ride. Maybe this will help someone.

IMG_20201020_1527486.jpg IMG_20201020_1527326.jpg IMG_20201020_1517289.jpg
    I know you have already checked this ....... is the actual valve piece " tight " ????? .................Mike

Spyder Garage

Curious as to why you removed the valve cores? I added the flex extension and left the OEM core intact. Seems to work fine.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did the same thing (and looks like with the same rubber extension from Amazon) except I left the valve cores in place (in case the extension leaked) and I didn't use the 90* bendy things. The front of my extension slips into a cut out on the right side of the plate under the seat. Not sure if something was supposed to be there or if it's an access hole for a screw/bolt but it works and allows me to secure the seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Appreciate knowing length of straight extension!
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since the air reservoir is so small (its the air bag itself)...Everytime you check the air pressure with a push on type gauge you loose some air...That is the amount needed to activate the gauge...Also remember the ambient temperature causes fluctuations in the reservoir pressure...

I have a air pressure gauge teed into my air bag and its not uncommon to see as much as a 10 lb. variation just due to temperature changes...

larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Appreciate knowing length of straight extension!
    ELBOWS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EXTENSION: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Since the air reservoir is so small (its the air bag itself)...Everytime you check the air pressure with a push on type gauge you loose some air...That is the amount needed to activate the gauge...Also remember the ambient temperature causes fluctuations in the reservoir pressure...

I have a air pressure gauge teed into my air bag and its not uncommon to see as much as a 10 lb. variation just due to temperature changes...

larryd
    A bicycle/motorcycle type screw on gauge/hand pump resolves that. This is what I bought. It works very well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1