Spyder Garage

Default Looking to buy a 2013 St limited

I'm new to spyders. I've been on 2 wheels for 55 years. Getting older every day now and it's time to add another wheel. As the title says, I'm looking at a 2013 ST limited se5. Is there anything special I should look at or for?

Spyder Garage

2013's had a heat issue because the panels just above and to the right and left of the frunk were completely closed in. For the 2014 models, they added vents and for some 2013 owners, BRP would make a good-will gesture of providing them the 2014 panels at no charge. If you find a 2013, see if it has the 2014 vents.

Not everyone with a 2013 had heat issues but some did.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Good choice. Good idea getting the vin # & checking if the bulletins have been done. Were couple think a gas cap, fuse box gasket, brake pedal switch, maybe more been one of lucky ones with out the ‘14panels mentioned above. Also not as ez to check but worth while, see if the vacuum lines have been upgraded to silicon be sure the limiteds include:color matching removable saddle bags(tool), zumo 660 GPS(&additional hardware) , cruise control, am -fm-weather radio, SE transmission, driver & passenger floorboards. Otherwise it’s not the Limited
    Last edited by Bfromla; 10-22-2020 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Hardware

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 STS for sale.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...T%2Bfor%2Bsale
    Lots of add ons and upgrades including the 2014 panels.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

2012 RT was/is considered the best of the 998 Rotax versions. I would recommend that version over 2013.

2013 RT had heat issues and some fires. I won't recommend this.

2014 RT the year of the 1330 triple engine. Has a very good reputation and my two friends have 2014 RT and they are quite happy.

2015 no major changes except for colors.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Hopefully, the OP comes back and gives this one a look.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AlanSmith7 View Post
    2012 RT was/is considered the best of the 998 Rotax versions. I would recommend that version over 2013.

2013 RT had heat issues and some fires. I won't recommend this.

2014 RT the year of the 1330 triple engine. Has a very good reputation and my two friends have 2014 RT and they are quite happy.

2015 no major changes except for colors.

I dunno, there's many who consider the 2012's as being only 'the best of the 998 Rotax versions' up until the 2013's came out!!

Consider Please... the 2013 Spyder's got a bunch of suspension, brakes, & other changes in expectation of the 'new ACE Triple' engine, only then that engine wasn't available in time, so the 'old V-Twin' (but revvier, more exciting, peppier, more responsive ) engine got stuffed back in... making the pre-existing Spyder Heat issues a little worse. So yeah, some 2013's had heat issues, altho statistically & reportedly, far more didn't have any more heat problems than the 2012's & earlier Spyders, but then eventually these excessive heat issues were pretty much resolved for the 2013's by the Heat Alleviation Recall. That said, have a search thru the threads & posts of the vintage, there were more than just 'a couple' of 2012's & earlier AND 2014's & later Spyders that also ended up with those heat recall vents being fitted because ALL of the Spyders around that time scored some heat complaints; it was only the 2013's that saw those complaints come to a head & eventually get resolved. Heck, we've even had people chasing the 'heat fix' for their earlier &/or later Spyders this year!! So it's pretty clear, around that time, they ALL had Heat Issues.

So all up, if you want 'the BEST' of the 998 Rotax V-Twin Spyders, the 2013 has GOT to be the stand out choice! The 2012's had a number of identified 'shortfalls', which were largely addressed in the 2013's that got all the suspension, brake, & handling upgrades that went into the 2014's (gotta LOVE those Brembo brakes! ); it's got the latest & greatest engine control, dash, & 'fly by wire' controls & electronics that were available at the time; the heat recall resolved the heat issues & complaints that plagued ALL Spyders up until then; and it's a newer, younger machine than the 2012's but still has the vibrant & alive V-Twin engine instead of the later but lazy, 'run-away sewing machine' sounding, albeit admittedly very torquey ACE Triple motor that eventually made it into the 2014 Spyders....

Which all boils down to meaning that if you really want 'the Best V-Twin Spyder', and arguably still the 'Best' & most exciting to ride Spyder that's been made yet, you really shouldn't over-look the 2013 Spyders! .
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-22-2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Were...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yay!!! Go Peter!
    When I looked at 2013s I always checked to see if they had the heat alleviation panels and generally discounted them if not. I ended up with a 2014 which had the enhancements and yes as Peter mentions got all the upgrades including the Brembo's, battery in the frunk, stiffer frame, better clutch assembly etc. etc. And the V Twin sounds great with the Akrapovic on it.
    Only negative so far is having to check the oil more often than the 1330.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the good info. The 2013 st limited got sold. I wasn't quick enough. Now I found a 2016 sts to look at. Any info and or comments on this? Less than 50 miles due to health issues but stored inside.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter.
    Ron
    2013 RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Salemons View Post
    Thanks for all the good info. The 2013 st limited got sold. I wasn't quick enough. Now I found a 2016 sts to look at. Any info and or comments on this? Less than 50 miles due to health issues but stored inside.
    Will leave it for others to chime in as I don't think we got the 2016 V twins out here, at least I never saw any for sale when I was looking.
    You will know the heat mitigation stuff is on there from the factory. Also the ST-S has cruise whereas the standard ST (at least in my year model) did not have it. Of course you don't get the trunk? and side bags like the LTD would have unless they have been fitted as an option/afterwards. ST-S also has some LEDs for clearance lights and front indicators. Our Aus lighting setup is somewhat different to US though. Something maybe to keep in mind is I have found at least out here aftermarket add ons are somewhat harder to find than for say a RT. A sweet ride especially at the right price. Almost forgot the ST-S also has rider and passenger floor boards which as it turns out for me and my lower back are fantastic.
    Good luck.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peggy's 2013 ST-S has foot pegs for the rider, and footboards for the pillion. But it is also the manual transmission
    so that is probably the difference.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Loved our '13, never had an issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    If only I had been a member before I bought the one I did. It is only $1500 more than I paid and much better condition! Well, now yours is the goal to do with mods instead.
    I ride to feel free
    I vote to stay free
    I serve to be free

2013 Spyder ST-L 15k miles
    2013 ST-L , White