Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RSS Canisterectomy

I have a 2012 RSS and I'm wondering if I should complete the canisterectomy on it. I do have a faint smell of gas every now and then but, the last time I rode it there was an overwhelming smell of gas and it was only about 68 degrees that day.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I know you have seen my fire damage thread and you still ask? Yes of course! Stop riding now and get it done correctly IMO.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...8-2016-SM5-SE5

Spyder Garage

Yes thats a no brainer. I did it on my 2012 Spyder RT Limited after i saw his fire damage. Piece of mind for me.

Spyder Garage

On the post mentioned above in the link it states to route the hose to the back of the bike. On another thread it's states to route it to the front on the bike. Since the canister already has a drain valve can I not just put the filter on the appropriate hose and connect it to the drain pipe instead of rerouting any drain hoses?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mightyms54 View Post
    On the post mentioned above in the link it states to route the hose to the back of the bike. On another thread it's states to route it to the front on the bike. Since the canister already has a drain valve can I not just put the filter on the appropriate hose and connect it to the drain pipe instead of rerouting any drain hoses?
    You really want to get rid of the canister altogether. The entire problem with this system is that the vent hose comes out of the top of the fuel tank and goes straight down to the canister. This means that any raw fuel entering the vent hose will automatically go to the canister. The whole idea here is to prevent this. You want the vent hose to go up from the fuel tank so that any raw fuel entering it will be returned to the fuel tank. Some route the vent hose to the front. I don't like this arrangement because #1, you're putting that rubber hose over the top of the hottest part of the machine and venting fuel vapors in front of you. However, as far as I know, there have been no real problems doing it this way.

I ran my vent hose to the right frame rail back to about mid rear fender, putting a clear, lawnmower fuel filter at the end. I don't think the fuel filter is necessary. But it gave me a way to make sure nothing entered or clogged the vent hose. And a way to check for raw fuel entering the system (which it never has). Doing it this way vents any fuel vapors behind me so that I never have any fuel smell and it isn't venting fuel vapors into the engine compartment.

But whatever you do, get rid of that hazardous fuel vapor recovery system.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-21-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Please correct me if I am wrong. Even if you ran the hose to the rear does the hose still not run over the top of the gas tank?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RSS and I'm wondering if I should complete the canisterectomy on it. I do have a faint smell of gas every now and then but, the last time I rode it there was an overwhelming smell of gas and it was only about 68 degrees that day.

Please advise.

Thanks.
    I didn't remove my cannister ( it does have a purpose ) ..... but I changed my Hose connections to prevent ANY GAS from going into the cannister .... I have pics in one of my Albums to see how to do it ...... ( and NO SMELL ) ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Please correct me if I am wrong. Even if you ran the hose to the rear does the hose still not run over the top of the gas tank?
    That's the whole point of what you want to achieve, isn't it?!? .

The OE cannister version effectively has an overflow that directs & collects any excess/expanding fuel that might escape from the top of the tank DOWN & into the (dry) activated charcoal filled cannister, where fumes are meant to be trapped, but any actual liquid (like raw fuel or condensate from heavy fumes due to an over-filled or hot tank ) will contaminate the charcoal & fill the cannister - meaning that it's now effectively a loosely lidded bucket of raw gas sitting their wauiting to get hot/catch a spark & even if it doesn't, it'll always smell of gas & never work properly again anyway! And if you over-fill your gas tank more than once, or if it gets hot enough to create sufficient fumes in the tank, then that 'bucket' can possibly even over-flow raw fuel out onto things that you really might prefer it not to - ie. hot &/or sparky things!!

The whole point of a 'cannisterectomy' is to remove this potential source of raw fuel & fumes from the vicinity of anything hot &/or sparky, and to remove the 'no longer working' drowned & possibly full cannister that'll always stink of gas & be an ignition risk anyway.... Sooo, by running the replacement hose FORWARDS from the top of the tank, it still puts any potential overflow &/or fumes out in front of all the hot &/or sparky things where it could flood/run/drip back & create a rather embarrasing (& hot) issue for you; while running that 'cannisterectomy' hose from the top of the tank to the REAR of the Spyder, you are putting all that stuff that can cause problems & gas fumes behind you!

Make sense??

Over to you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Okay so, I completed the job. After completion I started the bike to make sure that there were no codes being thrown. When doing this I had a very strong smell of gas coming from my exhaust pipe. Also, it is a dual exhaust two brothers system and the smell is only coming form the top of the two exhaust pipes. Please advise as to why I am getting that smell there now?

Spyder Garage

Okay so, I completed the job. After completion I started the bike to make sure that there were no codes being thrown. When doing this I had a very strong smell of gas coming from my exhaust pipe. Also, it is a dual exhaust two brothers system and the smell is only coming form the top of the two exhaust pipes. Please advise as to why I am getting that smell there now?
    Sounds like gas got into that pipe from somewhere while you were taking it apart and it is/was burning off. Is there a place where gas could have dripped down and accumulated? Air compressor and spray nozzle might help find. Fuel injected so I doubt it came through your engine unless you poured fuel into the intake by mistake or something. Take some pictures for us if you can.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oh400ex View Post
    Sounds like gas got into that pipe from somewhere while you were taking it apart and it is/was burning off. Is there a place where gas could have dripped down and accumulated? Air compressor and spray nozzle might help find. Fuel injected so I doubt it came through your engine unless you poured fuel into the intake by mistake or something. Take some pictures for us if you can.
    I don't believe there would have been anyway for gas to pool or accumulate anywhere since I held all the hoses upright after I took them off. I did each hose separately and it had been 4 days since it was last started since I pretty much have it ready for storage and just trying to do what I can so I don't have any down time once riding season comes back around.

Spyder Garage

Take it for a ride so the ecu can adjust the fuel curve. Plus make sure the gas cap is on right and tight. If you did not take the canister out it maybe coming from it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi1099 View Post
    Take it for a ride so the ecu can adjust the fuel curve. Plus make sure the gas cap is on right and tight. If you did not take the canister out it maybe coming from it.
    The canister is out completely. I will take it out and give an update tomorrow.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Agree. Make sure it is good and dry then test ride.
    Seen this happen with other twin engines if someone leaves a spark plug wire off. This likely isn't that or it wouldn't run lol

Spyder Garage

Update. I took it out for a ride today with no gas fumes. However, I did see a lot of vapors escaping the hose so, I repositioned the hose out of the nose in front of the frunk because it seemed as if the fumes were still too close to the engine and exhaust for my liking. Now hopefully I'm good to go.

Spyder Garage

Update. I took it out for a ride today with no gas fumes. However, I did see a lot of vapors escaping the hose so, I repositioned the hose out of the nose in front of the frunk because it seemed as if the fumes were still too close to the engine and exhaust for my liking. Now hopefully I'm good to go.
    I suspect you didn't read my post #7 ....... my cannister is still connected so it catches the Fumes..... but the " T " connectioon Prevents Any gas from going into the cannister ..... and I have no smell of gas ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I suspect you didn't read my post #7 ....... my cannister is still connected so it catches the Fumes..... but the " T " connectioon Prevents Any gas from going into the cannister ..... and I have no smell of gas ..... Mike
    I did see your post. I figured I'd go with the route of taking the canister out completely. I do appreciate your feedback tremendously and I will hopefully post a picture of my risers that you suggested on another thread. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Another update:
    Got a nice day to ride and rode for about 2 hours. I came home and parked it and now I have fuel dripping out of the hose I ran to the front of the spyder. It dripped for about 10 minutes and finally stopped and then turned to just straight fuel vapors. Please advise as to why this is happening. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Gas drips /fumes

Another update:
    Got a nice day to ride and rode for about 2 hours. I came home and parked it and now I have fuel dripping out of the hose I ran to the front of the spyder. It dripped for about 10 minutes and finally stopped and then turned to just straight fuel vapors. Please advise as to why this is happening. Thanks.
    54, .... WHO is this addressed to ???? ..... I always use the " reply with Quote ", option ..... Thanks ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    54, .... WHO is this addressed to ???? ..... I always use the " reply with Quote ", option ..... Thanks ..... Mike
    To anyone that was already in the thread.

Spyder Garage

Ima put a check valve at the high point in my vent hose.....We will see if this cures this small issue.