Spyder Garage

Default Bad Slingmods! Correction - Good Slingmods, Bad Nash Powersports!

So I finally had a chance to take Fred to Nash Powersports in Mesa to get the headlights and fog lights replaced. I've been waiting on this for about 6 weeks now. I kept having to change the appointment because life kept happening.

So originally, I tried replacing the fog lights by myself. I got to it no problem, but I couldn't disconnect the cable no matter how hard I tried. So off I go to Nash. I told them I wanted the headlights and fog lights replaced and was so happy to finally be getting this done. When I went to pick it up, I started it up to see the beautiful white lights.....except the fog lights were still ugly yellow. I asked the service dude about it. The invoice only had "replace headlights" on it. I told him I wanted both replaced as I had a new set of each in the trunk. He told me Slingmods sent me the wrong fog lights. I started banging my head on the wall (metaphorically, of course).

Sometimes I wonder if this is all worth it...then I hop on Fred and take off.
    ----------------------------------------------

So I have to edit this post.

I just spoke with Slingmods. They guy I spoke with pulled 5 boxes of fog lights off the shelf. All 5 are the same as mine. He verified the H9 is the right light for the fog light. This tells me that the dude at Nash had trouble disconnecting the cable like I did and said "screw it" and made up some BS story to get out of trying to separate the cable.

So now I have another question. What does that fog light cable connect to and how easy is IT to replace? Just wondering in the event that I can't get the cable disconnected.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never use my fog lights

Spyder Garage

It sounds like the people from Nash are questionable for further confidence.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I no longer have a choice. No fog lights and the auxilary light is on all the time. I'm ok with that.

iridenow---My next call would be to the Nash Powersports service manager. Present him/her with everything you've learned including documentation from Slingmods. If he/she doesn't do anything, I'd contact the company owner. Now that you know what happened and you've let the rest of us know, if this isn't corrected, they'll lose business/money. The techs may not care (they get paid by the hour) but I can damn well guarantee the management cares. You know how it goes. If you have great service, you'll tell 5 people. If you have bad service, you'll tell 50 people. (I work in an executive customer service role so I know these things. )

Spyder Garage

On the 2010, the foglights are EASILY accessible.
    On the left side, turn the handlebars all the way to the right. You can reach up through the wheel well to remove a cover over the bulbs, remove the connection, twist out the light and then reverse the process.
    On the right side, turn the handlebars to the left, and again reach in and make the change.
    On the 2014 (maybe 2013), the right side is way easy like the 2010. The left side gets very interesting because of a snorkel placed in the way to support the 1330 engine. Doable, but you need to lubricate the work space with beer and invectives. I'm assuming, of course, that if you're going to this much trouble, you're installing LEDs ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

So here's the thing. I just got off the phone with Nash, who I still consider to be wrong at this point.

The fog lights I got from Slingmods are H9. The guy I talked to at Nash said I needed the H8, which according to Slingmods are for a BMW 3 series. I honestly don't know what to believe at this point.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    On the 2010, the foglights are EASILY accessible.
    On the left side, turn the handlebars all the way to the right. You can reach up through the wheel well to remove a cover over the bulbs, remove the connection, twist out the light and then reverse the process.
    On the right side, turn the handlebars to the left, and again reach in and make the change.
    On the 2014 (maybe 2013), the right side is way easy like the 2010. The left side gets very interesting because of a snorkel placed in the way to support the 1330 engine. Doable, but you need to lubricate the work space with beer and invectives. I'm assuming, of course, that if you're going to this much trouble, you're installing LEDs ?
    Yes LEDs. However, when I tried on the RH side, I wasn't able to disconnect the bulb. I could twist it to get it out, but that factory bulb connector was impossible.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post
    Yes LEDs. However, when I tried on the RH side, I wasn't able to disconnect the bulb. I could twist it to get it out, but that factory bulb connector was impossible.
    I think you need to squeeze the connector to disengage a locking tab.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I squeezed. I used pliers. I jumped up and down on it. I couldn't get it loose.

Spyder Garage

Have read few preferable thing mentioned about Sierra Cycles might wanna try second opinion without mentioning Nash feel them out. Hopefully Joe or Ann Squared Away will chime in.
    *additional*looking in notes : the BRP fog light kit for the ST supposedly use H8
    Last edited by Bfromla; 10-21-2020 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Additional

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Have read few preferable thing mentioned about Sierra Cycles might wanna try second opinion without mentioning Nash feel them out. Hopefully Joe or Ann Squared Away will chime in.
    *additional*looking in notes : the BRP fog light kit for the ST supposedly use H8
    Fred is an RT. Does that change the fog light?

Spyder Garage

Fog lights on the RT and ST models are an H8
    PE #2735
    RUBBER SIDE DOWN SHINY SIDE UP!!!!!!!!!!
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly...

Spyder Garage

Can you show me where you found that because everything I have seen shows H9 for RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

36 219800149 Halogen Bulb H8 12V 35W

Per the online parts for a 2010 RT SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FWIW, the service manual for Peggy's 2013 STS shows the fog light for the RT as being Part Number-219800149 Halogen Bulb H8 12V 35W.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

H8 and H9 are the same base. We sell the TricLed 360 deg version and the LED Fog Light bulbs are an H9.

We have sold hundreds of these over the years with no issues. We also have them on our own RT.
    Last edited by rick_w; 10-22-2020 at 05:16 AM.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

So between my research and what I'm reading here, this is what I'm concluding.

H8 and H9 both fit. The difference is that H8 is halogen. H9 is LED.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I squeezed. I used pliers. I jumped up and down on it. I couldn't get it loose.
    Sorry. Late to the party. You need to push IN slightly before you squeeze the 2 little levers/prongs. Once the 2 levers/prongs are released (they'll pop out sideways...you'll know when they're released), they'll just swing out of the way.

Spyder Garage

I do in Fla. to keep from being run over. Lol
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So between my research and what I'm reading here, this is what I'm concluding.

H8 and H9 both fit. The difference is that H8 is halogen. H9 is LED.
    The 'H' designation has to do with the bulb configuration, i.e., base style, distance to filament from base, etc. It does not mean LED vs halogen.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)