Spyder Garage

Default How much play should your RT Steering have??

Just curious to know how much play should there be in the handle bar on my 2014 RT Ltd. I probably have a good 1 inch , is that normal?thanks and all stay safe and wear your mask.

Spyder Garage

My 2015 RTL has 0 play in either direction. Hope this helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No that is not normal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with what both of them said. Neither my previous 2018 RTL nor my current 2021 RT have more than a fraction of an inch deflection.

Spyder Garage

Default Handelbars

I have a 2014 RTL has 0 play in my handelbars you have a problem.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Earlier Spyders had some 'play' in their steering (particularly when the engine wasn't runnin), but it generally wasn't much at all (certainly less than an inch!) & AFAIK by the 2014's even that small amount of play had been 'removed'?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-20-2020 at 01:15 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

0 play on my 14. Best to start looking for where the play is coming from before it gets worse and causes bigger issues. Safety first.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check the union on the steering shaft and see if the screws loosened up

Spyder Garage

I think an inch is a bit much but everything has some clearance, admittedly not much but it all adds up: Top steering shaft universal joint, top steering shaft bearing, lower U/J, steering drive mechanism, tie rod ends - 4 of them, top and bottom ball joints and then the rubber suspension bushes.

However, first stop is to check the tie-rod ends because I've had faulty brand new ones with excessive slack.

It takes two. Put your hand around the joint and grip it kinda carefully but completely, get someone to turn the bars or rock a front wheel. (Hold the tyre half way up on both sides and push with one hand and pull with the other so as to give it a steering input.) If there is play you'll feel a slight knocking/looseness.

You can reach in to the inner joint. If you reach in to the right-hand joint be careful not to dislodge the electrical connector above the joint, it's easy to get a sleeve caught on it accidentally separate the two halves just enough to break the connection. If the bike wont start afterwards, you need to get back in and squeeze the connector together.

The top ball joint can be checked similarly but the top of the wheel needs to be pushed and pulled with some force.

Checking the U/J's is a bit more involved and access is tricky, you need to be sure the lower steering arm is held or, at least doesn't move, while turning the handle bars.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clary View Post
    Just curious to know how much play should there be in the handle bar on my 2014 RT Ltd. I probably have a good 1 inch , is that normal?thanks and all stay safe and wear your mask.
    My 2014 RTS had a similar amount of play. I was able to get BRP to replace the steering column under warranty just days before my BEST warranty expired. In fact, the work was done after the expiration date. So no, you should not have that much play. The best I could determine it was occurring in one or both of the two universal joints that are part of the steering column. All the tie rod connections at the bottom end of the DPS were snug. That'll be a good winter project for you! The steering column isn't very costly, $125, but it will be a bear to get to it to change it. You might be able to get the play out by tightening the clamping screws of the U-joints and not have to replace the column.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just noticed that our 2014 RT-S has about 1 inch of play. We are at 46K miles on it. We are parking it for the winter. Come spring, its first ride will be to the shop for an oil change service and fix. This one is way above my pay grade.

Linda gets to ride the F3 now (and she likes it), and I can put more miles on my Vulcan.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Smoak has good video about too much steering play. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

If there’s more than none get it checked

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

I have an RTL that has 0 play in my handlebars you have a problem with your handlebar.