Spyder Garage

Default Kill Switch Accidently Killing

Three times now, since moving to a new 2020 F3, I've bumped the Kill Switch into action (non-action?). Once when adjusting the cruse control and twice at stand still while fiddling about. The first time came as quite a surprise and thankfully I was only exiting our home garage. Switching the Kill Switch on and off is part of the recommended routine and for me it appears to make no difference if it is always on and only available for rare emergencies.

My questing is; "What difference will it make to normal activities if the Kill Switch is never switched off"? What technical advantage is there to switching it off every time the F3 is shut down?
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

What's a Kill Switch!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Lot's of riders NEVER use the Kill Switch at all, except when one of their (so called) 'buddies' flicks it off at a stop so the rider'll get all embarrassed when they try to start it again and can't work out why it won't go!!

The ONLY real reason we even have kill switches on motorcycles etc is because waaay back in the dim dark, it was juust a little dangerous having a gravity fed gas tank teetering on top of a spark ignition carburettored engine, and the Kill switch was a quick and safe way for the rider to rapidly cut the spark when gas started leaking from either the tank or the carby/s all over everything!! There's really not a great deal of benefit in having these switches on modern machines with EFI engines & gas tanks that often aren't even literally on top of everything anymore, but it was mandated waaay back then and it's been carried forward simply because 'that's how it's always been done'!! Altho I guess it does make some of the 'wannabe racers' feel all manly & tough cos they've got a 'Cut-Off switch' like the 'real racers'.... except they don't really!

So feel free to go right ahead & join the rest of the enlightened, and leave your Kill Switch in the 'Run' position all the time.... . Besides, it's really only us crusty old dinosaurs of motorcyclists who have the muscle memory so deeply ingrained that we just don't feel 'right' if we don't flick the Kill Switch to 'Stop' before we turn the key off!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    Three times now, since moving to a new 2020 F3, I've bumped the Kill Switch into action (non-action?). Once when adjusting the cruse control and twice at stand still while fiddling about. The first time came as quite a surprise and thankfully I was only exiting our home garage. Switching the Kill Switch on and off is part of the recommended routine and for me it appears to make no difference if it is always on and only available for rare emergencies.

My questing is; "What difference will it make to normal activities if the Kill Switch is never switched off"? What technical advantage is there to switching it off every time the F3 is shut down?
    I never use it ..... never have .... 60 yrs riding .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Lot's of riders NEVER use the Kill Switch at all, except when one of their (so called) 'buddies' flicks it off at a stop so the rider'll get all embarrassed when they try to start it again and can't work out why it won't go!!

The ONLY real reason we even have kill switches on motorcycles etc is because waaay back in the dim dark, it was juust a little dangerous having a gravity fed gas tank teetering on top of a spark ignition carburettored engine, and the Kill switch was a quick and safe way for the rider to rapidly cut the spark when gas started leaking from either the tank or the carby/s all over everything!! There's really not a great deal of benefit in having these switches on modern machines with EFI engines & gas tanks that often aren't even literally on top of everything anymore, but it was mandated waaay back then and it's been carried forward simply because 'that's how it's always been done'!! Altho I guess it does make some of the 'wannabe racers' feel all manly & tough cos they've got a 'Cut-Off switch' like the 'real racers'.... except they don't really!

So feel free to go right ahead & join the rest of the enlightened, and leave your Kill Switch in the 'Run' position all the time.... . Besides, it's really only us crusty old dinosaurs of motorcyclists who have the muscle memory so deeply ingrained that we just don't feel 'right' if we don't flick the Kill Switch to 'Stop' before we turn the key off!!
    Thanks. My thoughts too and thanks for the background. I'll make no comment on the logic of locating it where they have. So, now I'll put a match in it or sylastic to stop it ever being accidently switched, ever again, lol.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

I use the kill switch....... mostly from habit. Riding the old carb model dirt bikes with only one throttle wire, the kill switch might keep the bike from trampling on you so much when the throttle suck wide open. It was a good habit back then and I don't see any reason to change now.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I use it all the time; standard routine is shift into N, set parking brake, hit kill switch. For me it is most useful at refueling stops as I automatically reset the A trip meter after every fill up and reset GPS fuel setting.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rarely use it, very, very rarely. The old kill switches just killed power to the ignition, you could kick the thing for a month of Sundays before you
    found some smart aleck had flipped the kill switch. Just never got in the habit of using them. Heck, some of them were just momentary kill buttons.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have seen some riders preach of the advantage of using it all the time when you (intentionally) stop the engine.

It helps to develop muscle memory for the ONE time that you will NEED to use it in a hurry.

Personally, I almost never use it.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Went for a fast ryde with a mixed and not known 2 me group. Sport bikes, v-twins, 2 other . When I came back from paying for the fuel, MY SPYDER WOULDN'T START!!!!

After 2 touches of the starter button , I pushed the kill switch back to RUN........... An accidental??? Maybe. But just the kind of crap a bunch of old bikers would do to a stranger on a strange machine. But no drama, problem solved.
    The ride was fast!!! No patrol in the middle of nowhere Nevada. 8o to 90 most of the time. Spyders stayed in the pack just fine but fuel mileage SUFFERED.......
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I find it most useful while refueling. Kill the engine but keep the dash live so I can reset the trip meters and read the odo for my gas record. Also saves having to wait for the boot up process while antsy drivers are waiting for me to get out of the way so they can gas up.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BRP start and turning off Spyder owner's manual instructions includes using the Kill Switch. First time I shut down Spyder with kill switch , I almost jumped off my seat. Been years since I heard that sound. Hopefully years before I hear it again. It is hard for me to imagine that this sound is a good thing.

Yes - I've even said a few choice words on why my Spyder wouldn't start when it was the kill switch.

I haven't "purposely" used the kill switch since 2008 when I actually read the owner's manual and followed its directions. seriously - one should read the owner's manual.

Anyone know why this is the BRP routine? I've only read allot of speculation.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Only time I ever used a kill switch was back in the days of reading spark plugs for the proper fuel/air mix. Yeah, I've been around a while.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Good reasons for both sides are being posted.

ME: I never use the kill switch when powering off. I did hit the kill switch accidentally while going down the road on my 1300 Nomad one time...since then, I try to avoid that situation if I can.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like others above, I use the kill switch when filling with gas... while filling, I can watch the gas gauge climb and be extra alert for the splashback event when full. Plus the other functions of odo reset and mileage recording on the pump receipt.

Another way I use it: I listen to music while ryding, and sometimes when I'm done and parked, I'll kill the engine to let the current song finish, and then turn the key off. My own "muscle memory" habit is to always reset the switch back on immediately, instead of waiting til the next time I start up. Because most times I don't use it... but I appreciate having it.

For long-term music listening while parked, I use the key-off accessory option, to save battery juice. I try to limit that to 20 minutes max, and have no dead battery problems.

As the retired letter-carrier said, "To each his zone."
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl