Spyder Garage

Default Anyone here tow a tent camper, a time out, or leesure lite behind their Spyder?

Anyone here tow a tent camper behind their Spyder, like a time out or leesure lite?
    How do u like it? Anyone have one for sale?
    Sold - 2021 RT Limited, Petrol Blue, trailer hitch.

Traded in - 2019 F3 Limited, Blue/Chrome: with
    Baja Ron swaybar, 19” tinted Freedom Windshield, Lamonster LED headlights, IPS Fog Light Kit, trailer hitch, Lamonster Mirror Locks, Ultimate TallBoy Seat.

Sold - 2014 Time-Out Camper

traded in - 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Sold - 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DTC
    Sold - 2017 Indian Roadmaster
    Traded in - 2016 F3T

And a couple hundred other bikes over the years!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stangman35 View Post
    Anyone here tow a tent camper behind their Spyder, like a time out or leesure lite?
    How do u like it? Anyone have one for sale?
    I’ve never had one behind my Spyder, but used to have a Leesure Lite that I used with my GoldWing. It was a great unit to pull....never knew it was back there. When you get to your camping spot, less than a minute set up time. I don’t do camping anymore, but if I did, I’d be contacting Ric Lees for another Lees-urlite. Great little towbehind!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, http://www.leesurelite.com/default.asp , is a slick and easy to set up, easy to tow, camp trailer. Expensive, but if you keep it and use it and don't abuse it, it is well worth the price. Couldn't get a new one so I found a well-kept used one. Used ones in good condition are very hard to find. The Canadian border is closed but Lees will bring one across for you at no cost. (Meet him at the border.) They're only about 7 miles into Canada from the US. Check their web site and see if you're within reach of one of their US dealers, otherwise, shipping is very costly. I did such an extensive search to find mine and I can't recall now just which site I found mine on. But there are used ones out there if you search for one. I wish you good luck finding one, they're nice unit.

Spyder Garage

Yeah we actually have a dealer in Bloomington, Indiana that sells them $5,195 starting price and the company that makes the time out trailers are out of Elkhart Indiana. May have to visit both of them, nice looking units.

Baja Ron swaybar, 19” tinted Freedom Windshield, Lamonster LED headlights, IPS Fog Light Kit, trailer hitch, Lamonster Mirror Locks, Ultimate TallBoy Seat.

Traded in - 2016 F3T

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

5k is the base price. It's the extras that make it expensive. Still, 5k is not bad.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just remember your setup, teardown times when you compare.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Just remember your setup, teardown times when you compare.
    That is where this trailer shines!

Spyder Garage
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

I pull a minimate with my f3. Done lots of miles and enjoyed every one of them.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I tow a Timeout behind my '08 GS SM5. It tows it very well. I was talking to a friend of mine that has a 2017 RT SM6 who pulls an Aspen Classic. His experience pulling the camper is the same a mine. We both agree the Spyder pulls it well but first gear is pretty tall and requires a good bit of feathering on take off. Gentle starts are the rule to ease the strain on the clutch.
    Bruce
    Yorktown, VA
    '08 Spyder GS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    What is the weight of this thing? Looks really nice.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Purchased a time-out camper today,used but never used. Has an added room and a crap ton of extras
    Attached Images Attached Images

Traded in - 2016 F3T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stangman35 View Post
    Purchased a time-out camper today,used but never used. Has an added room and a crap ton of extras
    enjoy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I pull a Lee sure lite with my 2014 RT. It is the reason I bought the Spyder as I did not want to pull with two wheels anymore. The Spyder pulls it fine and I love the true reverse to back it up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MCCMPR View Post
    I pull a Lee sure lite with my 2014 RT. It is the reason I bought the Spyder as I did not want to pull with two wheels anymore. The Spyder pulls it fine and I love the true reverse to back it up.
    I have the same setup. Lees sure lite is not as lite as they advertise. When adding accessories you're pushing the manufacturer's recommended limits for towing. I'm looking into instaling trailer brakes if that can be done. Etrailer has a 7" electric trailer brake package for a fair price. installation though may be a problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I'm looking into instaling trailer brakes if that can be done. Etrailer has a 7" electric trailer brake package for a fair price. installation though may be a problem.
    Two things to consider. One is rather important, the other would be a deal-breaker.

What kind of suspension do you have? Do you have independent torsion axles or leaf springs with a tubular axle ?

If you have independent suspension, check the 'drop angle' of the trailing arms. More angle will give you more suspension travel, but may make the brakes act funny. The arm that activates the brakes is curved around the front half of the backing plate. When mounted at an angle, a bump might cause the magnet to drop down a bit, activating the brake in the process.

If you have leaf springs with a tubular axle, the brakes would be mounted level, but the deal breaker would be whether there are mounting plates on the ends of the axle. (you need those mounting plates on the independent suspension, too) There should be a square plate that is maybe 4 or 5 inches across that the brake backing plate would mount to. They can be added if you don't have them, but it's not that cheap.

One last thing to consider: when you have electric brakes on a trailer, you need to have a controller on the tow vehicle. Not all that hard to mount and wire, just another expense that you might not have thought about up front.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, first is the issue of a backing plate and if not, which I suspect, could be a game-changer. I believe the axles are the short torsion type independent suspension. I'm going to have to crawl around under the trailer and survey things first. If I don't post here anymore you'll know I'm still under the trailer. LOL

Spyder Garage

I've pulled my '07 Time Out with my '14 RT numerous times including getting caught in a tropical storm deluge in the mountains. The RT handles it well. You notice it back there but not near as much pulling with 2 wheels. The Time Out has been terrific.

Spyder Garage

I pull a Aspen with my 2014 RTL and before that with my 2013 RTL without any problems. I have over 50K miles of towing experience with the RTs. Last summer my wife and I did a 66 day, 11,000 mile coast to coast and back ride with our spyders with no issues . We have some friends the have a Leesure lite and have been traveling for two years with their trailer. Check out, Two Years on Two Spyders.Ipad and Coast to Coast 289.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

How fast do yall usually run with your campers?
    2019 F3s , Titanium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Two things to consider. One is rather important, the other would be a deal-breaker.

What kind of suspension do you have? Do you have independent torsion axles or leaf springs with a tubular axle ?

If you have independent suspension, check the 'drop angle' of the trailing arms. More angle will give you more suspension travel, but may make the brakes act funny. The arm that activates the brakes is curved around the front half of the backing plate. When mounted at an angle, a bump might cause the magnet to drop down a bit, activating the brake in the process.

If you have leaf springs with a tubular axle, the brakes would be mounted level, but the deal breaker would be whether there are mounting plates on the ends of the axle. (you need those mounting plates on the independent suspension, too) There should be a square plate that is maybe 4 or 5 inches across that the brake backing plate would mount to. They can be added if you don't have them, but it's not that cheap.

One last thing to consider: when you have electric brakes on a trailer, you need to have a controller on the tow vehicle. Not all that hard to mount and wire, just another expense that you might not have thought about up front.

Yep, just as we suspected Steve. No backing plate and little or no room to add one. It appears that a complete new torsion system, axel, backing plate, brake kit, and drum, would need to be purchased and installed. And no telling if the new torsion axel would mount to the same plate as the OEM unit. If not, then the trailer would have to be removed from the frame and a new mounting plate installed. A 7" brake kit and drum are not that expensive. It's the torsion axel with the backing plate and the possibility that the new torsion axel will not match the OEM bolt holes that make things bookoo expensive.

Spyder Garage

Mine has the torsion axel and has the 4 bolt ring that the backing plate bolts to, u won’t have a backing plate if it didn’t come with brakes.

Traded in - 2016 F3T