Spyder Garage

Default Camping with the Spyder and the Spyder

Went camping near Owensville, MO for the last 2 weeks. Put close to 200 miles a day on the RTL on some of the curviest ribbon roads (that's what my wife calls roads that are up and down hills) in some of the most scenic parts of the Ozarks. Lots of wineries, some breweries, Octoberfest in Hermann and Dutzow, MO and found a place near Owensville that makes the best artisan cheese, although it is down the gravel roads so we took the truck there.

So what kind of Winnebago toyhauler do we have to tote our Spyder? Well, of course:
    Spyder copy (2).jpg
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Camping? Where is the tent?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Camping? Where is the tent?
    LOL - Back in the mists of time, I did motorcycle camping by making a bivvy with a small tarp over the bike. I moved up to a jungle hammock to keep me dry and the bugs away, then to a 1 person pup tent. Camped with hiking gear, light and small to keep it manageable on a bike. Got married and got a bigger tent, a "3 person" dome tent. Barely big enough for the both of us and a minimal amount of gear. (3 adults in a "3 person" tent better be very good friends.) Found a great deal on an original Time Out - the trailer became a platform and you basically put an umbrella tent on it, not the fold up Time Outs of today. Stepped up to a Bunkhouse motorcycle camper, that folds out, for about 10 years. Went through a used motorhome but didn't have that long enough to take the bikes, got a 43' toy hauler we were going to go fulltime in, but when we decided to keep the sticks and bricks we downsized so we could fit into more campgrounds. Loving the Spyder toy hauler, yes it is "Glamping" in an RV more than camping, but when you're Medicare age the creature comforts count.
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Just yanking your chain........ I used to camp with an old military sleeping bag and a poncho. Now I usually camp at the Day's Inn. Age and broken bones has made sleeping on the dirt less enjoyable.

Spyder Garage
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I run a 38’ Fuzion Fifthwheel for 3+ week trips and a 2020 work and play 25’ bumper pull for primitive and short distances. We have been running Toyhauler and decked out snowmobile trailers for many years. It’s the only way to go. Having a refrig and especially a freezer is great. You can always stay warm and dry by other means In my honest opinion Fiberglass sides are the only way to go.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

First time out in a Time-Out Deluxe last weekend. We went to Warren Dunes State Park in Mich. They charge every out of state a 18$ one time entry fee in ADDITION to your camping fee. Even though my wife and I had one campsite, they still charged EACH of us the 18$ since my wife rides her own. Everything worked good but we have a few adjustments to make to the equipment. I got a set of mirrors that attach to the handlebars so I could see past the trailer. That was the only mod to the bike beside the hitch and wiring. Tow's great, just a little loss of MPG. The bummer was there were so many people there (think Wal-Mart on black Friday) with campfires there was smoke everywhere. In the evening I had my head lamp on and I could see the smoke in the beam and what I thought were bunches of gnats was actually ash from the campfires floating. The campsite was ok with enough room to set up the camper and store the small cargo trailer she pulls and park the bikes without interfering with the fire ring or the picnic table. We were planning to go to Chain O' Lakes State Park in Indiana this weekend but there is to much rain and cold in the forecast so we cancelled that weekend. We are planning a 3 or 4 or maybe 5 week trip out west next year. We had a Aspin Sentry trailer years ago and the Time Out is not much different. All in All, we like it. Since the Time Out does not have any place to store items "out of sight" I am thinking about fabricating a storage area out of sheet metal that will fit between the wheel wells this winter. Or I could just cheap out and store them in the cargo trailer.

Spyder Garage

This is our ultimate goal, to haul our Spyder, camp, then ride the area. We plane to build a 7x12 cargo trailer into a toy hauler.

Spyder Garage

Yep! Those were the days. Camped a lot in and around the Boundary Waters Canoe area of Northern MN/Canada. Everything had to be carried in, so ultra light was the theme.

Eureka tent, down sleeping bags, foam mats, and the ever trusty tarp. When I needed help getting up one morning after a cold chilly night, that was kind of the end of that for us. Now, I prefer to motel it and enjoy that mint on the pillow thingy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yep! Those were the days. Camped a lot in and around the Boundary Waters Canoe area of Northern MN/Canada. Everything had to be carried in, so ultra light was the theme.

Eureka tent, down sleeping bags, foam mats, and the ever trusty tarp. When I needed help getting up one morning after a cold chilly night, that was kind of the end of that for us. Now, I prefer to motel it and enjoy that mint on the pillow thingy.
    Hear Hear. Arthritis ended my tent trailer days. Now it’s strictly motel/hotel for me. I did enjoy the lees-urlite tent trailer that I did have. That was back in my Goldwing days.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Dad was a teacher just south of the Twin Cities, so he had at least some of the summers off. When I was 6, in 1962, Dad started to take me up to the area canoeing along the Sawbill and Gunflint trail for an annual trip. When I was 15 we were both offered jobs a fishing guides at Sawbill Lodge, but Mom put her foot down and insisted we weren't going to run off Up North for 3 months leaving her home with my 2 younger sisters. Those trips lasted until 1978 when they made the area the Boundary Waters and I moved back to the U. P. of Michigan.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    Dad was a teacher just south of the Twin Cities, so he had at least some of the summers off. When I was 6, in 1962, Dad started to take me up to the area canoeing along the Sawbill and Gunflint trail for an annual trip. When I was 15 we were both offered jobs a fishing guides at Sawbill Lodge, but Mom put her foot down and insisted we weren't going to run off Up North for 3 months leaving her home with my 2 younger sisters. Those trips lasted until 1978 when they made the area the Boundary Waters and I moved back to the U. P. of Michigan.
    sending a PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Just yanking your chain........ I used to camp with an old military sleeping bag and a poncho. Now I usually camp at the Day's Inn. Age and broken bones has made sleeping on the dirt less enjoyable.
    My idea of "roughing it" is a motel withOUT an ice machine.

Seriously, I've considered buying a well used 5th wheel toy hauler to live in. I've seen '90s models for well under $10k and it would be a place for my bike as well as a place to live. (I don't need much space.)

Spyder Garage

Just to give an update on our home built camper/Spyder hauler. It is finished and we took our first "long" trip with it. Went from Ohio to Door County Wisconsin. We were able to set up a "home base" with the camper and took the Spyder out on excursions. It worked out perfect.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zanico View Post
    Just to give an update on our home built camper/Spyder hauler. It is finished and we took our first "long" trip with it. Went from Ohio to Door County Wisconsin. We were able to set up a "home base" with the camper and took the Spyder out on excursions. It worked out perfect.
    Pics! I love the need pics! Love to see how other people make things work!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zanico View Post
    If you have some would, you post a few pictures of how you did it?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Camping is in by blood. My family did a lot of summer camping during the late 40s and through the 50s. Mostly had army surplus gear. So when I started riding Goldwings, motorcycle camping was just a natural. I did 10 day solo trips all over the western U.S. every year for more than 10 years before retiring. Among all the necessities, I packed a small tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag. In all my trips, the tent. pad, and bag were never used. The comfort of a warm, soft bed, hot shower, and a place to put my feet up and relax were just too much for me to ignore. After carrying that gear around for 10+ years, I gave the never-used camping gear away to a family that was staying at the same motel as me at South Lake Tahoe..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Camping is in by blood. My family did a lot of summer camping during the late 40s and through the 50s. Mostly had army surplus gear. So when I started riding Goldwings, motorcycle camping was just a natural. I did 10 day solo trips all over the western U.S. every year for more than 10 years before retiring. Among all the necessities, I packed a small tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag. In all my trips, the tent. pad, and bag were never used. The comfort of a warm, soft bed, hot shower, and a place to put my feet up and relax were just too much for me to ignore. After carrying that gear around for 10+ years, I gave the never-used camping gear away to a family that was staying at the same motel as me at South Lake Tahoe..... Jim
    Oh you rotten thing… you had me on the edge of my seat as I read along in your post… invisioning your whole motorcycle camping adventures…then…BAM!! 🙂
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Morturf View Post
    Pics! I love the need pics! Love to see how other people make things work!
    IMG_20210502_142429948_HDR.jpgIMG_20210502_141838623_HDR.jpg

Sorry it's been a while, but here are a couple photos that were requested of our home built Spyder hauler. Not the most detailed photos, but you get the idea. Started as just an enclosed 12x7 cargo trailer. We installed insulation, fantastic fan and two small windows. Has a mattress that folds down from the side. Also installed a shower with propane hot water and solar for electricity.

We took a trip to Door Co. Wisconsin a month ago and just returned from a trip to West Virginia, Virginia, and Maryland.