Thread: 2nd Class Owner

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd Class Owner

`With many bragging about their 2020 Spyders, I feel as if I've become a 2nd class citizen as I have (dare I day it?) an ancient but much loved and much customized 2015 RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just think of the money you save by not "Keeping Up With The Jones."
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have come to the conclusion that I will always be a 2nd class owner. Even when I do buy the latest and greatest, I wait until they are out about 6-12 months. That gives me time to read the real world reviews and see what type of problems that they have. It also allows them to be ready to introduce the next years model and then I can hopefully get a great deal. Worked in 2014. I picked up the same RT that my buddy has. He got his in February, and I got mine in September. He paid $5000 more than I did. He got to ride his first, but I am OK with that. In 2017, I picked up a left over 2016. Saved $5500 on that one. I am not going to be first on any of Can Am's little experiments.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Hey you '15 Snob... I still ride a 2010 RS. Just kidding. Mine is paid for, still runs great and is a great ride in its own right. I don't think any of us is second class ... we all love our spyders, be they brand new or vintage machines. Sadly, getting ready to put mine to sleep for deery November and a long winter nap here in Wisconsin. I'm not jealous of your Spyders, just of those with warm weather and longer riding seasons. Ride safely everyone.

Spyder Garage

We all serve Arachnia, Queen of the Spyder People, who was one of the key adversaries in Tom Paris' holodeck program, The Adventures of Captain Proton. She originated from the namesake location, Arachnia.

34CE7F60-D75A-4B75-B44B-709A478D59B4.jpeg

Her Majesty would not suffer any of her people to be considered ‘2nd class’!

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

I bought my new 2019 F3L when the 2020's were out and about. My other is a 2014 RT-S. Missed the latest and greatest by a few months...but I saved a couple $K.

Was able to pay cash, so no monthly payments either.

I gave up on "latest and greatest" in 2014 and don't fret the small stuff anymore. If there is another Spyder on the horizon, it wont be the current model either.

As an avid reader of the site, I feel pretty well informed on any purchases I make. By the time I get a new one, the "glitches" have mostly been worked out.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-14-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I LOVED my 2015 RT Limited and had no desire to upgrade to the 2020 RT Limited, however the deer that jumped in front of me had other ideas.

Now that I have the 2020, I love it and the improvements that they have made to it. I di not like the extra money I had to spend to get it, nor the money I am having to spend to get all the lights, swaybar, mo-door, trailer hitch, and way to many other things to list.
    but life is life and on we go, just thankful no damage was done to me or my wife!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    `With many bragging about their 2020 Spyders, I feel as if I've become a 2nd class citizen as I have (dare I day it?) an ancient but much loved and much customized 2015 RT
    Had plans of a new Ryker or RT then COVID reshaped my priorities. The economy is too iffy to have an expensive guilt trip in the garage. Bought a 2008 GS for $5700- Currently in for the 12k service, annual service items, heated grips, new tires and maybe a battery. Possibly adding $2500 but still at the price point of 600cc Ryker, $2500 less than a 900cc and 1/2 the cost of a base F3. Happy camper....

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

2012 rts still happy.

Spyder Garage

We have our 2015 RT set up just as we want it. XM radio for Ma, wiring and sockets in place for heated jackets, foot rest/pegs where we want them, and several other small, but expensive upgrades. We have 40,000 miles on the RT with zero issues, it's been a good one. I like the 2020's, but under that new shine is the same engine, trans, and drive line that I have now. Not interested in spending all that money to trade and then more $$ to make the upgrades we have now just to have the same bike under the new look. We have kept all of our touring bikes until the 75,000 to 100,000 mile mark and we will keep this one too. It will take a bit longer because we haven't ridden the miles in the past two years like we used to do.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Could be worse Ricford, you could own a 2013 RTL like I do and be a black sheep owner!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Look at it as "I'll let the beta testers weed out the issue before I dive in" I have a '17 RTL, am very very happy with it because everything works, nothing leaks, cuts out or cheeses me off generally. Not to say the red and black model RT makes me drool with envy each time I see one...
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papagolf View Post
    Could be worse Ricford, you could own a 2013 RTL like I do and be a black sheep owner!
    But I DO own a 2013 RTL and while there's some attraction in the 2020's, there's NO BLOODY WAY I'm gonna upgrade from my tried & proven 2013 that's already got all the mods (& mod cons) that I want/need AND that since its ECU Upgrade is almost as economical as well as being revvier, peppier, more exciting & sportier to ryde than anything I've tried so far that runs that lazy 1330 triple cyl engine for a Spyder that has a motor that'd need at least an ECU Upgrade to make it the machine it SHOULD have been from the get go, AND a machine that has that bleedin' 'Integrated Digital Dash' which isn't at all intuitive &/or easy to use and even if you can drive it, that still doesn't provide all the functionality that I've already got with my existing dash & GPS etc!!

Atm, as far as I can see, going to a 2020 or newer RT would be a BIG step back in many respects, even if there may be minor gains in ryde comfort & touring range! So I'm sticking with my 'enhanced & upgraded' 2013 RT Ltd until BRP addresses & fixes the issues with the lazy engine and that abbysmal failure of an 'Integrated Digital Dash'!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It is wonderful to have new nice shiny toys, but i did not want to have to make payments on toys so i purchases a 2013 RTL with extremely low miles last May. At the time the dealer had a new 2018 RTL for $20K, i got this 2013 instead and for sure i do not feel like a second class of anything. We, I and my lady, just enjoy the ride and not worry about payments.
    There are Pros and Cons for keeping up with the Joneses.
    Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I love my 2019 F3 Ltd, in the past I would go for the new toy each year or so, but I see no benefit on upgrading now. If they made some major changes other than body style, like a drive shaft, correcting the red dust of death. or fitting a larger screen with a BRP system that worked, then maybe.... but not for just new colors and some body panels.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-29-2022 at 05:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

I'm new to the Spyder seen. I love my 2012 Spyder Rt Limited and yes i did the normal upgrades like the Stage II reflash plus the canister delete, JT's air intake plus more. I'm on a fixed income so this was right at the price i wanted to pay plus it was close to home for a pickup. Yes it has the 998 v-twin motor and no i have no intentions on going $20k in the hole for a new ride. Plus my scooter has 32k on the odometer so i think its broke in and proven reliable. I've had my far share of the 2 wheelers but with age i needed to get on one more stable so the spyders looked interesting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi1099 View Post
    I'm new to the Spyder seen. I love my 2012 Spyder Rt Limited and yes i did the normal upgrades like the Stage II reflash plus the canister delete, JT's air intake plus more. I'm on a fixed income so this was right at the price i wanted to pay plus it was close to home for a pickup. Yes it has the 998 v-twin motor and no i have no intentions on going $20k in the hole for a new ride. Plus my scooter has 32k on the odometer so i think its broke in and proven reliable. I've had my far share of the 2 wheelers but with age i needed to get on one more stable so the spyders looked interesting.

Congratulations on the, new to you, ride. You are going to enjoy the punch of the 998 VTwin motor.
    Let it rev and hang on.
    Cheers, David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2011, RTS, SM5. It has been a great ride. No plans to upgrade. I just hit 80,000 miles. No payments. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I am a 'Premier' owner. I don't know where that puts my on the scale. But my 2008 Premier Edition GS SM5 is still a blast!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am a 'Premier' owner. I don't know where that puts my on the scale. But my 2008 Premier Edition GS SM5 is still a blast!
    On the scale, it all depends which one you have. If you have #1, originally given to Jay Leno, then probably a collector item. If you have #6,832 out of 1,500...then not so good. BRP blew it on that one.

I had RTS Premier Edition #474 and the dealer laughed at me when I tried to invoke that when it came to trade in time. It did have a nice embroidered seat on it though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I recently upgraded from a 2009 RS to a 2020 F3L. I was happy with the RS, but wanted a more touring orientated ride. I was happy with the trade in I got for my RS and the Kawasaki Nomad I also traded for the new Spyder. I was looking at used RT and F3L and with the rebates and dealer sale price was able to get a 2020 for not much more that what was available used. Used Spyders have been very hard to find around here. Two dealers I checked with had none in stock. I much prefer supporting dealers in my area, so there is a continued dealer presence in my area. Very happy with the F3L.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    On the scale, it all depends which one you have. If you have #1, originally given to Jay Leno, then probably a collector item. If you have #6,832 out of 1,500...then not so good. BRP blew it on that one.

I had RTS Premier Edition #474 and the dealer laughed at me when I tried to invoke that when it came to trade in time. It did have a nice embroidered seat on it though.
    Mine is either #224 or #225 - its at the shop so cant verify.

2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Had plans of a new Ryker or RT then COVID reshaped my priorities. The economy is too iffy to have an expensive guilt trip in the garage. Bought a 2008 GS for $5700- Currently in for the 12k service, annual service items, heated grips, new tires and maybe a battery. Possibly adding $2500 but still at the price point of 600cc Ryker, $2500 less than a 900cc and 1/2 the cost of a base F3. Happy camper....
    They're a great ride. I sometimes miss my old 08 with the twin engine. Anyway, make doubly sure you read up on the heat issues, specifically the boiling gas. Fixes are fairly easy to do and IMO a must for all older bikes.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Will do- thanks!

2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

I dont want to be the first guy out of the foxhole either.
    2019 RTL Dark , Orange