Spyder Garage

Default First Time Owner/First Time Poster

Hi Everybody!

I hope this message finds you all doing well.

Well, we finally did it! After many years of riding motorcycles across our beautiful nation, my wife and I pulled the trigger 11 days ago, and purchased a 2020 Spyder RT Limited Chrome. So, 3 days after purchasing it, we loaded it on a trailer, hauled it 2 days from our home in Arkansas to Flagstaff, AZ, left the truck and trailer there, and then took our new Spyder on a 1200 mile, 6 day ride that included northern Arizona, Southern Utah, and southeastern Nevada. Currently, we are back in the truck on day 1 of our 2 day drive back to Arkansas with our Marsala Red (Miss Kitty) Spyder resting on the trailer behind us.

Let me say this: WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

Having said that, there was a sizable learning curve the first few days. The first couple nights, I was sore in my shoulders from fighting it all day. I wasn’t purposefully fighting it, it was all subconscious. Finally I got better at releasing control, relaxing my grip, and letting the bike do what it naturally does. I’ve been told by a number of Spyder riders that it takes about 1000 miles to get used to it if you’re coming directly from riding a two wheeled bike. I agree with that estimate.

The 6 days and 1200 miles have left me with a few questions and observations:
    1. Why can’t I increase my speed by throttle when the cruise is set? It appears the only way to increase speed is to push the cruise button up.
    2. Is there some kind of kit to move the rear trunk back an inch or two? My wife isn’t a large gal (5’2”, 120lbs), but she said it’s a tight fit back there compared to the room she has on our 2 wheeled bike.
    3. I’m gonna be looking to get an upgraded sway bar soon. Open to suggestions.
    4. Side loading saddlebags are for the birds. We have spent all of our previous riding years with top loaders, and I’m tellin ya, we will never get used to the hassle of having to slide the liner out to get something out or put something in, much less worrying about something falling out when we open it. We’re very open to saddle bag liners that can make this process better. Any suggestions?
    5. It doesn’t take much for this bike to click the cooling fans on. I’m not used to that. Our previous bike was water cooled also, but it had to be a scorching day, with us sitting in traffic a long time for the fan to come on. Is this normal?

As I said; we LOVE this bike, and are elated to own it.

Looking forward to getting to know you all as we experience our years ahead of ownership.

Please do not hesitate to begin bombarding me with info that I need to know and be aware of.

Big Lenny

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops makes a trunk extender for the 17 thru 19 F3L. Dont know if he is making one for the linqs system. You could call him and ask.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Congratulations!

I suggest you read the Do's and Do Nots sticky. There's a lot of good information in the thread. Also, do yourself a big favor and read your operator's guide thoroughly if you haven't already done so.

If you momentarily want to increase your speed while you have cruise control on, say to pass a slowpoke, all you have to do is roll on the throttle. When you set the CC it electrically puts the throttle back to idle so you have to roll on enough to pass the point at which you set the CC.

Can't comment on the 2020s fans coming on but mine don't come on quickly unless it is broiling hot.

Good luck and ride safe!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops sells a great set of custom made bags for the 14-21 RT saddle bags.Utilizes every square inch with convenient pockets and dividers.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Congratulations!

I suggest you read the Do's and Do Nots sticky. There's a lot of good information in the thread. Also, do yourself a big favor and read your operator's guide thoroughly if you haven't already done so.

If you momentarily want to increase your speed while you have cruise control on, say to pass a slowpoke, all you have to do is roll on the throttle. When you set the CC it electrically puts the throttle back to idle so you have to roll on enough to pass the point at which you set the CC.

Can't comment on the 2020s fans coming on but mine don't come on quickly unless it is broiling hot.

Good luck and ride safe!
    ..... I have a 14 RT and can increase my speed vis the throttle ..... It returns to the setting it was at..... at worst you just have to re-set it ..... good luck .... Mike Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

Spyder Garage

Turning the throttle will over-ride the cc.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-18-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congrats on you new toy and welcome to the world of 3 wheeling. It sounds like you need to give yourself time to "get used to" or adjust your thinking to what you have, instead of what you used to have. I've been there, so I know what you are dealing with.
    I find bag liners limiting as they fill the case, leaving no room for what stays with the bike. I carry a change of clothes (usually just underwear) and toiletries in a small duffel and take that into the hotel. While tools and rain gear, etc. remain with the bike. Pretty Wife and I have done extensive touring all over this country and in Europe and that system has worked for us for decades. One bike came with liners and we never used them. You can have them if they'll fit. There were for our '92 Yamaha Venture Royale.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

If I have the CC set and grab a handful of throttle to pass grandpa and grandma out checking the crops in their cage when I've completed the pass I simply relax my grip on the throttle and the Spyder slows the the speed at which I set the CC. If I downshift to make the pass the downshift cancels the CC and I must reset it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My 2015 RT throttle has a slower response time as well if the cruise control is set. I can twist the throttle and it will override the cruise, but it still doesn't have the same response as it does when the cruise is off. If I want the throttle response back I just kick it down a gear.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

The Bajaron sway bar is the only one I've seen and it's made a world of difference on my 2020 RT.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

We chose Hopnel saddlebag liners for our Spyders and have been quite pleased with them. They're reasonably priced and they've held up well. Several sponsors sell them.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure I can explain it clearly but with the 2005 Goldwing I had I found myself unintentionally accelerating above the cruise setting. If held the throttle in the position it was in when I set cruise, any turn of the throttle to open immediately caused the speed to override the cruise setting. I don't know how the difference is built in but with the Spyder I can roll the throttle forward and backward a little bit without affecting the cruise speed. If I deliberately roll the throttle open then it overrides the cruise. I find the Spyder more relaxing when it comes to holding the throttle hand grip.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    My 2015 RT throttle has a slower response time as well if the cruise control is set. I can twist the throttle and it will override the cruise, but it still doesn't have the same response as it does when the cruise is off. If I want the throttle response back I just kick it down a gear.
    I believe this is LAG time .... my 14 RT takes slightly longer if the throttle is completely released , but if I'm near the equal setting as the CC there is NO lag ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for your responses!
    We just pulled into our house from the two day drive back home from Flagstaff. What a wonderful ride! LOVE LOVE LOVE the Spyder!

BLUENIGHT911, IdahoMtnSpyder, Navydad, ARtraveler, JayBros, I'm gonna take several of your advices and roll on the throttle a little farther when I have CC on the next time I'm on the bike. I wasn't used to having lag time. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

JayBros, Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna dive into those Do's and Do Not's tonight. I have been reading the operators manual a lot, but also know you guys have a wealth of street knowledge on this site for me to tap into, so my learning curve will be shorter.

almosthere, I'm aware of the saddlebag liners that SpydrePops has been offering, however, when I was at his place a couple weeks ago, he informed me they are on backorder because of COVID, with no lead time set in the near future. Those are the best ones I've seen yet, os far as how much they fill the total cavities of the side cases.

Arion, I'm gonna take a gander at those Hopnel ones. I might get those in the mean time, while I wait on SpyderPops to get a shipment of his in.

Raybj, I'll consider that Bajaron sway bar soon.

JP58, I'm certainly gonna look into a trunk base extender from SpyderPops, if he offers one.

RICZ, I completely agree with you that I need to get used to what I have, instead of what I used to have. I actually think it has been a blast so far to learn this new beautiful machine. I had bag liners for our 2007 Yamaha RSTD, but really didn't use them that much. Thats because the saddlebags were top loaders, so when you opened the lid, everything stayed perfectly where you stored it. With these side loaders, it just feels to us like we need the stuff in a liner to keep it from falling out when we open the door. For this first trip, we used the Frunk for my wife's clothes, and toiletries, the rear trunk for my clothes, and the side cases for daily use stuff, like her purse, and water jugs, and other stuff. Oh, and I purchased from SpyderPops before we left on the trip, a luggage rack for the rear trunk lid. We strapped a roll bag on top with a few pair of shoes. We'll be experimenting a while on how we're gonna pack for future trips. Heck, we may even get a trailer, who knows.
    Thank you for the offer on the liners from your Venture Royale, but I think we'll be fine. Ahhh, a 92 Venture Royale; now that was a fine bike.

Thanks again everybody!

BL

Spyder Garage

First congratulations on the new RTL 2020. I came to the Spyder after 50+ years on 2 wheels, Yamaha Ventures and Royal Stars since 1986. I love my 2012 Spyder. Since it is a 2012 RTL it came semi hard luggage cases for all for 4 compartments. I use the front and larger side side bag for my wife and the smaller compartment for myself. The rain gear goes on the rack and the daily use stuff goes in the trunk. Just a quick grab of the bags and we are unloaded, or lloaded when leaving in the morning. Value Accessories has the Hopnel bags which are soft sided more like the old Venture Royale bags.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    First congratulations on the new RTL 2020. I came to the Spyder after 50+ years on 2 wheels, Yamaha Ventures and Royal Stars since 1986. I love my 2012 Spyder. Since it is a 2012 RTL it came semi hard luggage cases for all for 4 compartments. I use the front and larger side side bag for my wife and the smaller compartment for myself. The rain gear goes on the rack and the daily use stuff goes in the trunk. Just a quick grab of the bags and we are unloaded, or lloaded when leaving in the morning. Value Accessories has the Hopnel bags which are soft sided more like the old Venture Royale bags.
    Hi Pegasus1300. I do remember way back when I first started looking at Spyders, they did come with the semi hard luggage cases. They came with a GPS too. I guess BRP, like most other companies, decided to cut costs, as the unitts became more popular.
    So, you were a Venture rider? That is a fine bike. My wife and I have been riding a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe for 13 years. Have been to 31 states on that sucker. Are you a member on Venturerider.org? I think I remember you being on there.
    I hear folks on this site are as awesome as the people on Venturerider.org.

Spyder Garage

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue