Spyder Garage

Default questions about oil change kit?

For a 2014 RT Limited

I purchased an oil change kit from a supplier here on the site a while back. I wanted it on hand so when I reached the appropriate mileage, I would be ready for the change. While doing it yesterday, I noted the small O-rings did not have the color coding of green and black like on the original oil drain plug and the ones that go on the stinger down inside the filter seemed to fit a bit loose. Everything went back together smoothly but I am a little concerned about the variances from the original O-rings. Do those swell up after spending time immersed in oil or should I be looking for different ones and not drive my Spyder until all have been replaced again?

This was my first oil change and just wanting to make sure everything is kosher. TIA

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Probably best to address that question direction to the supplier. I don't know who you bought it from but I can think of 2 and they are both very knowledgable and give good after the sale service.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Probably best to address that question direction to the supplier. I don't know who you bought it from but I can think of 2 and they are both very knowledgable and give good after the sale service.
    Well crap; why didn't I think of that. thanks. Just posed my questions in a private message. Will wait to hear back before blasting off on an all day ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most reuse the original O rings for many oil changes and last a long time.

Spyder Garage

To all who have gone before me and offered advice and especially to those who created videos about these oil changes, I SALUTE you. There was a time when I thought BMW engineers were the most sadistic on the planet with the way they made what should be simple things so difficult to service; like a battery change. Then came a time when I thought some other Germans had taken the top spot for being sadistic making it so extremely difficult to change the oil on the VW Passat. I found out this weekend that neither of them can hold a candle to the designers of the Rotax engine in the Spyder. I have changed oil in everything from lawn mowers to D9 Caterpillars since about 1966 when dad first showed me how to do it with the 3HP Briggs & Stratton lawn mower. But the Spyder is the most overly complicated oil change I have ever experienced in my life. It's all done now, but before the next one I may need a valium or at least a few shots of Southern Comfort.

Spyder Garage

I don't think the oil change is so bad for my F3S. I think their way of checking the oil is a PIA..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Well there's your problem...you should have STARTED with the Southern Comfort!

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Am View Post
    Well there's your problem...you should have STARTED with the Southern Comfort!
    you are 100% correct; that's at the top of the procedural list for the next one.