Thread: Communication

Spyder Garage

Default Communication

Hi new to the group just purchased 2020 RT limited. Petrol blue. Coming from Goldwing. Looking for ideas on communication. Goldwing had CB radio and wired headsets. What are the best options for group rides and helmet to helmet communication. Just not sure about Bluetooth set up. Or go with Serrria Elactronics handlebar mounted CB with wired head sets.

Spyder Garage

Welcome... and congrats on your Spyder!!

We came from CB communications on my 2012 RTS and my husband's HD TriGlide. When we traded those bikes for our 2019's (his F3L) and my RTL we went to Siennas. I know our units can be set to include a group of riders, but we are our own 'group' of 2... so I can't say how easy or hard it might be to make that change. I'm sure others will chime in with that info.

I can say that it is r-e-a-l-l-y nice to no longer be wired to the bike, and that our sound quality is excellent.
    Ride Safe!
    Gina J

Spyder Garage

Wife and I have been riding since the mid 60's tried CB's and walkie talkies, gave up. This year we broke down and bought Sienna's from Motorcycle Dave here on Spyderlovers. What a pleasant surprise how well they work.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

We use Cardo Packtalk communicate with Cardo and non-Cardo devices with no problems.

Spyder Garage

Sena.

I did the wired walkie talkie thing many years ago and it was good for the time, but the new wireless tech is way better. However, CB is something I've never warmed up to and didn't do so if you're wanting to stay in the CB range someone else might have specific knowledge.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Senas for years. An old SMH5 that still works just fine for my wife and I gab as we roll along.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

We have been using bike to bike helmet communicators for many years now. No CB's or cell phones.

Have been through most of the brands. Cardo, Nolan n-com, Sena and one other brand with I cannot remember. On our third set of Sena now...the most recent came built into the Bell Mag 9/Sena helmets.

We prefer Sena because it is the least noisy, and gives us about three to four blocks (line of sight) communication between bikes. Have not used the group features, it is just her and I when the communicators are in use.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-17-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Sena. Wife and use them for our personal intercom. She has the smh10 and I have an evo20s with up graded speakers. When I bought the Sena to begin with I bought them as a paired set. Riding in a frog killer rain coming home from San Diego in March my 10 got drowned so I replaced it with the 20. You might want to consider a paired set what ever you go with. Motorcycledave.com a sponsor here will set you up. Tell him what you want to do and he will get you set up. You do have to call him for prices.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Whatever one you get, be sure it's Bluetooth 4.1 so it will pair with others. I see a lot of used Sena 20S for sale on many sources, including this forum. I bought 4 of them that way and paid no more than $125 per headset. One was even brand new in an unopened carton. They work great and are easy to learn and operate.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Montiniauto View Post
    Hi new to the group just purchased 2020 RT limited. Petrol blue. Coming from Goldwing. Looking for ideas on communication. Goldwing had CB radio and wired headsets. What are the best options for group rides and helmet to helmet communication. Just not sure about Bluetooth set up. Or go with Serrria Elactronics handlebar mounted CB with wired head sets.
    Which way you go depends on who the communication group is. If it's just you and your wife then the recommendations about BT are right on. If you group ride AND enough others are using BT, then BT is the way to go. But if most of your group are CB users then the handlebar mounted CB is about your only choice. You probably know that CB is no longer a BRP option.

If CB communication is of secondary importance consider getting a good handheld CB radio and connect a Sena SR10 adapter to it. The adapter converts the CB input/output to BT. That way you can straddle the old proven technology of CB and the new world of sometimes problematic Bluetooth tech.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The Sena 50S is a Mesh Network and has been excellent for group intercom. It supports older BT also but the mesh has much longer range than BT and is crazy simple to connect to the network. Just power on, open whip, press button and you enter open mesh channel 1 which is all you need to do. You also can BT to the Spyder, phone, GPS, whatever.
    You can go into a private mode and/or change channel if you get interference.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

went with CARDO pack talk....just installed two days ago..clear as a bell...

Spyder Garage

i use u clear i love them !!

Spyder Garage

Many years ago, we bought Cardo's and like using them, but they began to have issues, so the first year that Sena made motorcycle intercoms, we bought a set at the Bikes, Blues, and BBQ rally, and we have been Sena users ever since. We have had the set of SMH20's for a couple years now, and just did a 1200 mile ride this past week through northern AZ. southern UT, and southeastern NV, and they're still clear as a bell.

I recommend Sena.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The problem with bluetooth headsets is they only work with each other IF PAIRED to begin with. They need to not only be the same brand but have the same features. A group of riders with multiple BT headsets won't have the communication CB users have. If it's just the two riders then Sena, Cardo, Uclear will work.

I use a Midland 75-822 handheld CB with Sena SR10 BT paired to my Cardo Packtalk headset. I use a USB to cig lighter adapter to power it and Sena PTT wired button. Works great. Most Spyder groups I have ridden with haven't even tried to use the headsets for group riding.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm in the process of finding out what JM Corp has to offer for Bluetooth connectivity. As of now I've been told they have a BT adapter for their JMCB-2003 CB radio, but it is a made to order item. As soon as I can get more info from them I'll post it. But it looks like they offer an option that parallels the handheld CB + Sena SR10 option.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I also came from a 2006 Goldwing and welcome to SL!!! Petrol Blue is the fastest color too
    I got the Sena 20s evo Refurbished as a pair from Sena and love them. I showed the wife how to make calls/music streamed from phone and now its really nice, I haven't tried that yet as Im paying more attention to other things.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

2020 Spyder RTL - I just bought the dual pack Lexin LX- 4FM on Amazon $119.99. Pretty happy so far using them for intercom. I have not tried pairing with the Spyder or an i- phone yet.
    Installed them on 3/4 helmets. Can not even feel the speakers. Running at 60 mph we could still easily communicate.
    Lexin has newer model with more features coming out, but my main need was an intercom with my wife.