Spyder Garage

Default What is the Stickiest Tire you've used? Front/Rear

What is the stickiest tire you've used? (front and rear) I'm sure it would still outlast the stock Kendas. I'm most concerned with wet traction. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

We have been very pleased with the increased traction afforded by the Yokohama tires over the stock Kenda. Yes they still last much longer than the junk Kenda tires as well.

Currently using Yokohama Advan Fleeva 205/55R15 rear and Yokohama S34FA 175/55R15 Front. Those fronts are running well over 50,000 miles so far and counting.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We have been very pleased with the increased traction afforded by the Yokohama tires over the stock Kenda. Yes they still last much longer than the junk Kenda tires as well.

Currently using Yokohama Advan Fleeva 205/55R15 rear and Yokohama S34FA 175/55R15 Front. Those fronts are running well over 50,000 miles so far and counting.
    I put the Yokohama's on my 2016 F3T and what a world of difference! Best wet and dry traction I have seen so far.
    When my 2020 RTL needs tires I will be installing the Yokohama's on it.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

I have no experience with these tires so take this with a large grain of salt but Federal Brand.

A quick search on the forum with titles only selected for "federal" will find many results of happy customers and they are likely the cheapest tire available. (~$55 USD per tire)

One user mentioned running them, hitting a pothole and replacing with a new. If you try that with an expensive tire you might be into it 3-4 times as much money.
    Go with whatever gives you the best personal benefit of cost/performance but if you are considering a "cheap" tire they may be a great option.

Edit: Maxxis AP2 (mentioned by PRP below) are only ~$20 more than the Federals. Maxxis RZRs are arguably the best off-road tire money can buy so if you are looking for grip as a highest priority... Maxxis AP2 may be a great choice. Seems like a UK product though...

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't normally recommend a tyre but your question is specific and since you're reasonably far north my best tyre so far is the one below. Both front and rear. Different sizes of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Well ... Vredestein tires are snow rated. This generally means a softer compound for colder weather. When I was trooping, I ran Goodyear winter ultra grips year round here in WI. Stuck really well, albeit with shorter tread life.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cant get a Maxxis Tire in the US. Or I would have tried one years ago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been running the Achilles ATR-K Economist tire and like them better than the Federals. Noticed less noise better response when steering.

Tried the Achilles (Front) and the Kanine rear this season. Didn't get much ride time this season but to this point I been satisfied with the ride.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Anjill View Post
    What is the stickiest tire you've used? (front and rear) I'm sure it would still outlast the stock Kendas. I'm most concerned with wet traction. Thanks.
    My Son installed Continentals super sticky but only lasted 3000 miles... he did say
    they were the funnest 3000 miles he ever had

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Anjill View Post
    Interesting topic ..... I've read performance " tests " from " independent sources " ..... the best reviews were for the Vredestein Q-5 tires ( for front and rear ) ..... they even perform quite well at colder temps as mentioned by another member, pretty remarkable imho..... As far as " WET " traction goes .... certified " snow tires " will likely give the Very Best wet traction in deeper surface cover .... but who drives around on wet roads that have 1/2 inch or more of water on them. .... One might encounter this a few times in ones life ( on a Spyder ).... my suggestion SLOW down. I would buy the Q-5 for wet and dry for 100% of my driving. ..... I never ride during " Flood " conditions ..... And no matter what " AUTO " tire you buy, it will perform at it's best @ 17 to 19 PSI F & R ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oh400ex View Post
    A quick search on the forum with titles only selected for "federal" will find many results of happy customers and they are likely the cheapest tire available.
    In my short time on the forum, "a quick search" and all the replies to similar questions seem to give one basic answer. It doesn't really matter WHAT tire you install, as long as it's not a K%^@. (I don't even like typing that word.) Yeah, there are a few that sing the praises of the stock tire, but some of them are held captive by a dealer that refuses to sell anything but stock. They have pretty much resigned themselves to accepting what's on the bike, but don't really know what they are missing.

"Stickiest" tire? There are many reports of "regular" tires that are sticky enough to upset Nanny. Why pay more for stickier, when they probably won't last as long?

It was suggested that you search for Federal, Yokohama and a few others. If you do that, I doubt that you find anyone that says they did not like the tire. Yeah, some have tried something else and liked it better, but the first one they tried was good, too.

Personally, I have the Vredestein Q5s. I don't know if they are the best or not. We have only put about 5000 miles on them, but they were so much better than the stock tires. I can't imagine getting any better than that, but what do I know?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G