Spyder Garage

Default Ryker security on overnight trip

I just bought a Ryker Rally a few weeks ago and have enjoyed riding around my local area. I want to take it on a weekend trip to the mountains in the future. If riding the Ryker and not trailering it, how do you "lock it down" over nite while at a hotel to prevent it from being stolen?

Spyder Garage

I purchased a 3ft Hardened Manganese steel chain with a protective nylon cover over it to lock around the rear wheel to the driveshaft housing. Same reasons, heading to the Smoky Mountains next week.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

I'll be watching here for answers. I worry about over enthusiastic curiosity and vandalism, too. It's hard to sleep and worry at the same time. A good motion detector/alarm might help.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about insurance???? I don’t think I have ever worried about it.

Spyder Garage

In 40+ years of touring I have never had a bike messed with. Then again I avoid cities like a plague. If a pro wants your bike he is going to get it, end of story. A Ryker will be more of a challenge than a two wheeled machine so that helps. Anything that would prevent the bike from rolling would probably be the route I would take, but don't forget to remove it before riding or you'll have another problem.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Another option would be a couple of those small wheel disk brake locks for motorcycles, I have one for the Kawasaki, a little easier to carry than coated cable or chain. Some even have audible alarms. I carry the nylon covered chain because I have the space for it in the luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    In 40+ years of touring I have never had a bike messed with. Then again I avoid cities like a plague. If a pro wants your bike he is going to get it, end of story. A Ryker will be more of a challenge than a two wheeled machine so that helps. Anything that would prevent the bike from rolling would probably be the route I would take, but don't forget to remove it before riding or you'll have another problem.
    A pro thief wouldnt waste his time on a machine with the value of a Ryker. I think we are more than likely protecting it from the teenage hoodlum looking for a thrill ride, or druggy looking for a fast buck.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    The prospects for the next 40 years look quite different from the last 40. Today, some people will destroy anything nice just because it's not theirs. (the word 'people' was used loosely)
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Good insurance is a must. A determined thief is going to get it regardless. Locks are for honest people.

In Fairbanks Alaska, we left one of the keys in the RS overnight. It was parked in the front row of the big lot. Still there in the morning.

I do avoid "big" and crime ridden cities if possible for overnight stays.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Open the "hood" and put a 5mm bolt in the steering linkage. Looking straight on to front of Ryker it's to the lower front right side of oil filter canister. If the bandits get her rolling it will only be in a straight line. I sure would not use this as the only theft weapon, just a little added security. BTW this is where you place the bolt in to hold the front wheels straight while adjusting crooked handlebars. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE BOLT BACK OUT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    Open the "hood" and put a 5mm bolt in the steering linkage. Looking straight on to front of Ryker it's to the lower front right side of oil filter canister. If the bandits get her rolling it will only be in a straight line. I sure would not use this as the only theft weapon, just a little added security. BTW this is where you place the bolt in to hold the front wheels straight while adjusting crooked handlebars. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE BOLT BACK OUT!
    In Australia we have the park brake lock with key lock on thd handle to stopthe bike being moved.can you fit that too.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have toured all over the US numerous times and never once have I had my bikes nor my trailers contents messed with .. I do however always take full outside covers with me. While there is always a first time, I sure don't lose any sleep over the possibility.

I always stay at good ole motel 6 and specify the ground floor with outside the room parking.

Spyder Garage

Great suggestions! Thanks

Spyder Garage

Here's the best suggestion. Pull in to your parking space and then have your buddy who rides an expensive Harley park right behind you and blocked you in. Works for me every time.

Spyder Garage

Almost any motorcycle security product should work, from chain locks, disc locks and alarms. How well they work, is based on who is trying to take or damage your Ryker.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hampton Inn has let me park right outside the main lobby doors.
    Last month, I used a locking fuel cap on my 1100 mile trip to Arizona and Utah for the motel/hotel stays, but left my GPS on the windshield and no issues.

How many folks even know how to start one?!

5-Sunset Crater.jpg3b-Perkinsville road to Drake 14 Sep 20.jpg17-Lee's Ferry boat ramp.jpg20-Vermilion Cliffs National Monument.jpg21-Grand Canyon North Rim Point Imperial.jpg
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black