Spyder Garage

Default Heads up to UK f3 owners

I had my f3 mot tested yesterday and found out that my spyder has left hand drive low beam head lights fitted that have the wrong beam pattern cutoff for the UK they point up and to the right dazzling oncoming traffic .I am out of warranty now so it looks like its going to cost me £600 to replace the low beam head lights with the correct Australian Japanese right hand drive lights. So if you have a UK spyder f3 it might be worth checking your low beam lights kick up to the left not to the right like mine. my f3 could be a one off but with the lack of a reply from the brp dealer I suspect all UK f3 spyders are European specification with the wrong low beam lights for the UK. I've had my spyder over 3 years and never noticed until the tester pointed it out but now it's obvious and it explains why I've been getting flashed a lot by oncoming traffic. You can't adjust the lights to fix the problem because the lights would be pointing on the ground in front not illuminating the road if you still have a warranty you might have a better chance getting them replaced for free
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

Surely that is a Production fault or error that BRP should be fixing regardless of any warranty status?!?

I'd be checking with your local dealer & if necessary, your Automotive Ombudsman or whatever you call those Authorities over there. Production Faults or Errors like that are usually treated the same way as National or Internationally mandated Safety Recalls, basically similarly to the Faulty Air Bag replacements - it's a failure on behalf of the manufacturer to provide a product that's fit for service in your Country and that meets all your Country's mandated Safety & Road-Worthy Requirements, it's not a warranty failure!!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I agree with Peter but mean time you could fit blanking stickers on to the outside of the lenses similar to the ones used on cars when they go to the continent.
    Wait until it's dark and get close to a vertical surface and experiment with your hand to work out where that upward section of beem is coming from. The low beem normally emanates from the top portion of the lens so don't be surprised if it isn't where you might expect it to be.

For info, the UK Spyder RT has a flat cut off so can be used on the continent also. My point is you don't need the raised part of the beem for the MOT, a straight cut off will suffice. Whether your MOT tester will accept a blanked off section you'll need to ask. Let us know.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

You did not tell us what year your F3 is and that made it harder to do some research. I made a guess that it is a 2016 or 17. If so the low beam is from the aux light positions. Then it should be fitted with European flat beam pattern. Similar to the North American fog light pattern except with a different power bulb. The Australian and Japan low beam lights have a different part number again. You should not be getting a beam pattern for left hand drive unless the mains are on in low beam. Then that's a wiring/jumper issue. Because all F3s have the same main headlights except the low beam part is disabled for the rest of the world and only used in North America.

So are your main headlights on in low beam? If so there is something wrong with the jumper wire for non NA models.

Note I had to do some guess work here.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Notice the headlights do not have a different part number for different parts of the world.
    30>30c 710004701 LH Headlamp. Includes 30 to 30c $159.99 USD
    30>30c 710004702 RH Headlamp. Includes 30 to 30c $159.99 USD
    Notice the different part numbers for low beam depending on country/region.
    60 710004150 LH Low Beam. Europe $309.99 USD
    60 710004152 LH Low Beam. Australia $309.99 USD
    60 710004152 LH Low Beam. Japan $309.99 USD
    60 710004151 RH Low Beam. Europe $309.99 USD
    60 710004153 RH Low Beam. Australia $309.99 USD
    60 710004153 RH Low Beam. Japan $309.99 USD

North America does not use item 60 as low beams, but as fog lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    I agree with Peter but mean time you could fit blanking stickers on to the outside of the lenses similar to the ones used on cars when they go to the continent.
    Wait until it's dark and get close to a vertical surface and experiment with your hand to work out where that upward section of beem is coming from. The low beem normally emanates from the top portion of the lens so don't be surprised if it isn't where you might expect it to be.

For info, the UK Spyder RT has a flat cut off so can be used on the continent also. My point is you don't need the raised part of the beem for the MOT, a straight cut off will suffice. Whether your MOT tester will accept a blanked off section you'll need to ask. Let us know.
    The mot tester was kind enough to turn his back wile I stuck some insulating tape on the lights bottom left hand side about 7 o clock did the trick and it passed the mot. I have now replaced the insulating tape with a eurolight foil beam blocker. lights now have a reasonably flat cut off not sure how long they'll stay on there due to the heat and shape of the golf ball projector lights . they should do the trick till I get the lights replaced Thanks for the helpful advice

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You did not tell us what year your F3 is and that made it harder to do some research. I made a guess that it is a 2016 or 17. If so the low beam is from the aux light positions. Then it should be fitted with European flat beam pattern. Similar to the North American fog light pattern except with a different power bulb. The Australian and Japan low beam lights have a different part number again. You should not be getting a beam pattern for left hand drive unless the mains are on in low beam. Then that's a wiring/jumper issue. Because all F3s have the same main headlights except the low beam part is disabled for the rest of the world and only used in North America.

So are your main headlights on in low beam? If so there is something wrong with the jumper wire for non NA models.

Note I had to do some guess work here.
    My 2017 f3s Daytona has European spec low beam head light where the US fog lights are. there not flat beam pattern they have a asymmetrical beam pattern that peaks on the right. in the UK Australia and Japan we drive on the left side of the road. that's why there are different part numbers Australia and Japan are asymmetrical beam pattern that peaks on the left to illuminate the curb and road signs and European spec are asymmetrical beam pattern that peaks on the right like I said in my original post it looks like brp aren't fitting the right spec low beam head lights to some UK bound f3 or they are just sending UK dealers European spec f3 spyders with the wrong lights and not bothering to fit the right lights before delivery. it even says in the owner's manual page 125 under head light adjustment (note in county's that drive on the left light peak should be on the left of the vehicle )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddjim View Post
    The mot tester was kind enough to turn his back wile I stuck some insulating tape on the lights bottom left hand side about 7 o clock did the trick and it passed the mot. I have now replaced the insulating tape with a eurolight foil beam blocker.
    Cool, result! After they've been heated a while, you may have difficulty getting them off! Don't ask how I know!
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.

Spyder Garage

When I worked in the OE lighting industry in the late 90s. It was legal to have a flat horizon cut off line low beam for all of Europe including the UK. Not sure if that has changed. Did not keep up. So when I look at the parts fiche. I assumed with the description for Europe and no mention of the UK, that it was a flat beam for all including UK. If that is not the case and the lows are designed for Continental Europe to drive on the right side of the road. Then I agree that the UK models should have been shipped with lows for the left side of the road. That is a non conformance on the part of BRP and they should make it right. At no cost to you. No matter if there is warranty left or not.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I had my f3 mot tested yesterday and found out that my spyder has left hand drive low beam head lights fitted that have the wrong beam pattern cutoff for the UK they point up and to the right dazzling oncoming traffic .I am out of warranty now so it looks like its going to cost me £600 to replace the low beam head lights with the correct Australian Japanese right hand drive lights. So if you have a UK spyder f3 it might be worth checking your low beam lights kick up to the left not to the right like mine. my f3 could be a one off but with the lack of a reply from the brp dealer I suspect all UK f3 spyders are European specification with the wrong low beam lights for the UK. I've had my spyder over 3 years and never noticed until the tester pointed it out but now it's obvious and it explains why I've been getting flashed a lot by oncoming traffic. You can't adjust the lights to fix the problem because the lights would be pointing on the ground in front not illuminating the road if you still have a warranty you might have a better chance getting them replaced for free
    I'm thinking that headlight would be in violation of UK vehicle safety regs, thusly it should be covered by BRP irregardless of the machines warranty status.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

All sorted now it was a assembly fault dealer has fitted correct head lights now .appreciate everyone's advice. Jim

Spyder Garage

... dealer has fitted correct head lights ... Jim
    Jim, I see you're in North Yorks, which dealer do you use? Ta.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    Jim, I see you're in North Yorks, which dealer do you use? Ta.
    158 performance in Tallington near Stamford

Spyder Garage

I imported my F3 from Germany in 2015 and it had the LHD lamp units in so I had to swap them for RHD to get it registered. You can get them from a dealer, the BRP units are £300+ each if memory serves, part codes 710004152 & 710001453.

However, they are supplied to BRP by Hella so being the kind of person who hates being robbed blind by this sort of thing I eventually found the equivalent Hella part code and ordered those instead through a local Hella dealer. £110 for the pair, which is a bit better than £600. The ones I sourced are silver (the BRP spec ones are black) but otherwise identical and you would have to look really hard to tell.

I have the Hella part numbers somewhere - I'll have to dig out my folder of paperwork from when I registered the bike in the UK. It took hours of research to find the Hella numbers that were the correct ones for RHD so if I can save you that I will.

Changing them is another matter - they are an absolute motherless son to fit. Search for threads on here showing how to fit the optional fog lights to the US models. There are three plastic pieces on long screws that goes through slots and then have to be turned to lock them in. All in an opening that isn't big enough to fit your hand!! Making your own tool from a long socket is the best way, need to cut a slot in it. There are pics and guides on here.

If yours has the LHD lights in it would make me think it's an import form the continent. The Euro spec F3 is identical to the UK one apart from the headlamps and easy enough to register over here. However, I'm surprised they could regsiter it with the wrong lights as I had to get written proof of the correct beam pattern from a local garage and send that with the registration form.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    I imported my F3 from Germany in 2015 and it had the LHD lamp units in so I had to swap them for RHD to get it registered. You can get them from a dealer, the BRP units are £300+ each if memory serves, part codes 710004152 & 710001453.

However, they are supplied to BRP by Hella so being the kind of person who hates being robbed blind by this sort of thing I eventually found the equivalent Hella part code and ordered those instead through a local Hella dealer. £110 for the pair, which is a bit better than £600. The ones I sourced are silver (the BRP spec ones are black) but otherwise identical and you would have to look really hard to tell.

I have the Hella part numbers somewhere - I'll have to dig out my folder of paperwork from when I registered the bike in the UK. It took hours of research to find the Hella numbers that were the correct ones for RHD so if I can save you that I will.

Changing them is another matter - they are an absolute motherless son to fit. Search for threads on here showing how to fit the optional fog lights to the US models. There are three plastic pieces on long screws that goes through slots and then have to be turned to lock them in. All in an opening that isn't big enough to fit your hand!! Making your own tool from a long socket is the best way, need to cut a slot in it. There are pics and guides on here.

If yours has the LHD lights in it would make me think it's an import form the continent. The Euro spec F3 is identical to the UK one apart from the headlamps and easy enough to register over here. However, I'm surprised they could regsiter it with the wrong lights as I had to get written proof of the correct beam pattern from a local garage and send that with the registration form.
    All sorted now. dealer told me when they receive the f3's in the crate from brp they have to change the light for UK spec during final prep. somewhere down the line mine didn't get done. it makes sense that brp wouldn't produce a hand full of f3's for the UK market when they can just supply the dealers with the lights as long as they remember to fit them that is. main dealers don't have to jump through the same hoops like we do with the DVLA

Spyder Garage

All sorted now. dealer told me when they receive the f3's in the crate from brp they have to change the light for UK spec during final prep. somewhere down the line mine didn't get done. it makes sense that brp wouldn't produce a hand full of f3's for the UK market when they can just supply the dealers with the lights as long as they remember to fit them that is. main dealers don't have to jump through the same hoops like we do with the DVLA
    Ah yes, I remember that now. I think a similar chat with 158 was what led me to look into importing from europe.

Glad you got sorted and didn't have to change them yourself!!
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |