Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Active Member tbohman56's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    Posts
    47
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Tie Rod Shaking Why?

    While on a trip to TN & NC I noticed the right tie rod was shaking while on a sweeping left hand turn with speeds over 50 mph. Movement maybe 1/4" or less in both directions. Looked at the right tie rod and it is not shaking. Does it sound like an alignment issue or possibly low tire pressure? The tie rod assembly is basically three separate rods connecting the left and right wheels. Is there that much play four different connections to allow the right to move while the left is still?

  2. #2
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    68
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    i don't have a ryker but you should not see any movement in your tie rods. if they are moving back and forth you have a loose linkage somewhere. I would check both end links and make sure you haven't lost the nut on either end of the link or make sure both are tight. this is a big safety issue if this comes apart you lose control..if the tie rod is moving your wheel is also.

  3. #3
    Active Member tbohman56's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    Posts
    47
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bottomline2000 View Post
    i don't have a ryker but you should not see any movement in your tie rods. if they are moving back and forth you have a loose linkage somewhere. I would check both end links and make sure you haven't lost the nut on either end of the link or make sure both are tight. this is a big safety issue if this comes apart you lose control..if the tie rod is moving your wheel is also.
    There are actually six connections from the left wheel to the right wheel in the three rods in the assembly. All connections are tight. It is only the right wheel were I see movement, and it is only at speeds above 50mph, and only when making a right hand sweeping turn. I can see the post where the tie rod connects to the right wheel moving, but the post on the left wheel is not moving. I do not see this movement on either wheel when making a right hand sweeping turn.

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    161
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Don't hesitate, either check it out yourself, or if you don't feel confident in your abilities, have it checked out by knowledgeable folk. Steering
    issues are not to be let go until they get worse, that can result in a visit to the ditch...or worse. Hie thee to a shop.
    Peggy and Howard

    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

    His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

  5. #5
    Very Active Member Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Durham,Maine
    Posts
    1,504
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I would jack up the front of the bike and start to play with the wheel back and forth and see if I could get it to do it by hand, if it's moving like that I would think a person could find where it's coming from pretty easy! Good luck!!

  6. #6
    Active Member RykerRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    66
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I'd also check your wheel nuts to make sure none are cracked, especially the right one.

    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally
    2017 Kawasaki VX-300 Adventure

  7. #7
    Very Active Member chris56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    austria
    Posts
    1,355
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I would "balance" the wheels on both sides ..
    Ryker 900 - Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Toyo tire/ back - longer shocks 400mm front - frontgrill + LED - GIVI topace - heatet grips .. & very fast !

  8. #8
    Active Member EdMat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Clinton, MS
    Posts
    339
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    If all the joints are good and tight you most likely have a tire issue.

  9. #9
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    11,473
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I am impressed that you're able to look so closely at a tie rod while negotiating a 50+ mph turn!

    Is your right side fender 'Still' while all of this is going on?
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  10. #10
    Active Member tbohman56's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    Posts
    47
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am impressed that you're able to look so closely at a tie rod while negotiating a 50+ mph turn!

    Is your right side fender 'Still' while all of this is going on?
    Actually, pretty easy to glance down at the wheel and see the silver post where the tie rod connects.

    Wheel nut recall was done right after I bought the Ryker, and they are okay. Just had tires balanced before I went on the trip. The tie rod is moving because the whole right tire is slightly shaking, so no, the right fender is not still. What I find odd is that there is slight movement on the right side, but the left wheel is not moving. I would have thought that with the way the linkage is connected from left wheel to right wheel, if one side was shaking, both sides would be shaking. It also, only seems to happen on a sweeping left had turn, and not a right hand turn.

  11. #11
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    11,473
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbohman56 View Post
    Actually, pretty easy to glance down at the wheel and see the silver post where the tie rod connects.

    Wheel nut recall was done right after I bought the Ryker, and they are okay. Just had tires balanced before I went on the trip. The tie rod is moving because the whole right tire is slightly shaking, so no, the right fender is not still. What I find odd is that there is slight movement on the right side, but the left wheel is not moving. I would have thought that with the way the linkage is connected from left wheel to right wheel, if one side was shaking, both sides would be shaking. It also, only seems to happen on a sweeping left had turn, and not a right hand turn.
    You have a balance or out of round issue with your tire/wheel assembly. This is consistent with the fact that the steering assemblies are all tight. The tie rod is not moving in a way that would affect the other side.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  12. #12
    Very Active Member canamjhb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Mesa, Arid-Zone-A
    Posts
    1,844
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I highly suspect a bad tire. Try switching left to right and see if the problem follows the tire..... Jim
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike
    Platinum Silver Satin 2014 RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

    .]

  13. #13
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    14,923
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You have a balance or out of round issue with your tire/wheel assembly. This is consistent with the fact that the steering assemblies are all tight. The tie rod is not moving in a way that would affect the other side.
    .... Kenda tires have the worst " defective tire rate " of any tire tire I have ever heard of ...... Mike

  14. #14
    Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southern Nevada-Northern Arizona
    Posts
    448
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    If out of balance, should be able to see the tire bounce (which causes cupping)
    As already suggested, out of round tire. Jack it up and check with dial indicator.
    If no dial indicator, mount a marker in a drill press vise (or =), advance it to tire center while rotating tire.
    20 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE...02 H-D Sportster 1200S.....72 Yamaha AT2
    14 Honda CB1100 std..........03 H-D Sportster XLH883...70 Honda SL350
    18 Yamaha XT250...............76 Honda CB750F..............70 Honda CL350
    16 Moto Guzzi V7II..............75 Honda CB360...............67 Honda CL160
    17 Yamaha TW200...............70 Yamaha CT...................67 Honda CB160
    12 Triumph Bonneville..........72 Yamaha CT2.................62 Honda CA110

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •