Spyder Garage

Default Tie Rod Shaking Why?

While on a trip to TN & NC I noticed the right tie rod was shaking while on a sweeping left hand turn with speeds over 50 mph. Movement maybe 1/4" or less in both directions. Looked at the right tie rod and it is not shaking. Does it sound like an alignment issue or possibly low tire pressure? The tie rod assembly is basically three separate rods connecting the left and right wheels. Is there that much play four different connections to allow the right to move while the left is still?

Currently Own: 2019 Ryker Rally
    Previously Owned: 2019 F3 Spyder

Spyder Garage

i don't have a ryker but you should not see any movement in your tie rods. if they are moving back and forth you have a loose linkage somewhere. I would check both end links and make sure you haven't lost the nut on either end of the link or make sure both are tight. this is a big safety issue if this comes apart you lose control..if the tie rod is moving your wheel is also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bottomline2000 View Post
    i don't have a ryker but you should not see any movement in your tie rods. if they are moving back and forth you have a loose linkage somewhere. I would check both end links and make sure you haven't lost the nut on either end of the link or make sure both are tight. this is a big safety issue if this comes apart you lose control..if the tie rod is moving your wheel is also.
    There are actually six connections from the left wheel to the right wheel in the three rods in the assembly. All connections are tight. It is only the right wheel were I see movement, and it is only at speeds above 50mph, and only when making a right hand sweeping turn. I can see the post where the tie rod connects to the right wheel moving, but the post on the left wheel is not moving. I do not see this movement on either wheel when making a right hand sweeping turn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't hesitate, either check it out yourself, or if you don't feel confident in your abilities, have it checked out by knowledgeable folk. Steering
    issues are not to be let go until they get worse, that can result in a visit to the ditch...or worse. Hie thee to a shop.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I would jack up the front of the bike and start to play with the wheel back and forth and see if I could get it to do it by hand, if it's moving like that I would think a person could find where it's coming from pretty easy! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'd also check your wheel nuts to make sure none are cracked, especially the right one.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

I would "balance" the wheels on both sides ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

If all the joints are good and tight you most likely have a tire issue.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I am impressed that you're able to look so closely at a tie rod while negotiating a 50+ mph turn!

Is your right side fender 'Still' while all of this is going on?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am impressed that you're able to look so closely at a tie rod while negotiating a 50+ mph turn!

Is your right side fender 'Still' while all of this is going on?
    Actually, pretty easy to glance down at the wheel and see the silver post where the tie rod connects.

Wheel nut recall was done right after I bought the Ryker, and they are okay. Just had tires balanced before I went on the trip. The tie rod is moving because the whole right tire is slightly shaking, so no, the right fender is not still. What I find odd is that there is slight movement on the right side, but the left wheel is not moving. I would have thought that with the way the linkage is connected from left wheel to right wheel, if one side was shaking, both sides would be shaking. It also, only seems to happen on a sweeping left had turn, and not a right hand turn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tbohman56 View Post
    Actually, pretty easy to glance down at the wheel and see the silver post where the tie rod connects.

Wheel nut recall was done right after I bought the Ryker, and they are okay. Just had tires balanced before I went on the trip. The tie rod is moving because the whole right tire is slightly shaking, so no, the right fender is not still. What I find odd is that there is slight movement on the right side, but the left wheel is not moving. I would have thought that with the way the linkage is connected from left wheel to right wheel, if one side was shaking, both sides would be shaking. It also, only seems to happen on a sweeping left had turn, and not a right hand turn.
    You have a balance or out of round issue with your tire/wheel assembly. This is consistent with the fact that the steering assemblies are all tight. The tie rod is not moving in a way that would affect the other side.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I highly suspect a bad tire. Try switching left to right and see if the problem follows the tire..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You have a balance or out of round issue with your tire/wheel assembly. This is consistent with the fact that the steering assemblies are all tight. The tie rod is not moving in a way that would affect the other side.
    .... Kenda tires have the worst " defective tire rate " of any tire tire I have ever heard of ...... Mike

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If out of balance, should be able to see the tire bounce (which causes cupping)
    As already suggested, out of round tire. Jack it up and check with dial indicator.
    If no dial indicator, mount a marker in a drill press vise (or =), advance it to tire center while rotating tire.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black