Spyder Garage

Default New to me 2011 RTS with Code P1614

Hi, first post. We just bought this 2011 RTS 2 days ago and this morning this code popped up. Let me say first that Ive worked on tons of things so Im mechanically inclined, but have never even sat on one of these until 2 days ago. That being said, I researched a ton and read about all the throttle body issues on this year bike so I plan on taking the panels off and trying to clean it and see how that works. While Im in there, what else should I do? I plan on changing the air filter and doing an oil change but I need to know what else I should be looking at. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lrndthehardway View Post
    Hi, first post. We just bought this 2011 RTS 2 days ago and this morning this code popped up. Let me say first that Ive worked on tons of things so Im mechanically inclined, but have never even sat on one of these until 2 days ago. That being said, I researched a ton and read about all the throttle body issues on this year bike so I plan on taking the panels off and trying to clean it and see how that works. While Im in there, what else should I do? I plan on changing the air filter and doing an oil change but I need to know what else I should be looking at. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Anything over 5 years old I would change all the fluids, tires, possibly battery if there is no record of any updated service. Look up the BRP service schedule and I would do the first big milestone service which probably covers what I talked about. Then you know what you have. Congrats on the purchase.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Anything over 5 years old I would change all the fluids, tires, possibly battery if there is no record of any updated service. Look up the BRP service schedule and I would do the first big milestone service which probably covers what I talked about. Then you know what you have. Congrats on the purchase.
    Thanks. I know the previous owner was kind of OCD about what hes done, has a list of parts he bought, when installed, when he did oil change etc. But I dont think he got into things as deep as I like to. Heard a high pitched whine which worried me but found what that was, but Im curious how I can find out if the update was done and/or if the throttle body was ever replaced.

Spyder Garage

Cleaning the throttle body should fix it. This should be done on a regular basis, approximately every 10,000 miles. It's a big job to get to the TB so you can reach the throttle plate shaft. The airbox must be removed. Do not try to move the throttle plate if the bike has just been turned off. The throttle motor stays energized for 40 minutes after shutdown. Forcing it will damage it. A fast way to de-energize the motor is to remove the main fuse under the seat. If I remember correctly, it is #4.
    Last edited by Grandpot; 10-16-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Changed relay to fuse
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Cleaning the throttle body should fix it. This should be done on a regular basis, approximately every 10,000 miles. It's a big job to get to the TB so you can reach the throttle plate shaft. The airbox must be removed. Do not try to move the throttle plate if the bike has just been turned off. The throttle motor stays energized for 40 minutes after shutdown. Forcing it will damage it. A fast way to de-energize the motor is to remove the main fuse under the seat. If I remember correctly, it is #4.
    Thanks, looking into everything I need to remove right now. What a pita, but I guess not as bad as taking the carbs off my Valkyrie!

Spyder Garage

So I have no faith in the local dealership after calling and talking to the head tech and he told me my throttle body was replaced in 2014, hes not sure if can am has issues with these or not but it was probably the previous owners fault as to why it failed again, labor is $200 and change, and the part he said he doesnt know how much but probably "a couple hundred bucks". Sigh..

Spyder Garage

Throttle Body Ass'y Exhaust emission component Includes 1 to 13. Old part number 420296974. Replacement part number 420686290. Price $859.99

Clean it. See the TSB that Snowbelt Spyder linked to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hello Grandpot trying to send you a pm regarding this P1614 code.

Spyder Garage

you can also remove the main (relay 1) relay in trunk fuse block. it is labeled as R7, bottom left. I remove mine alot when working on Spyder. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

So LRNDTHEHARDWAY the code popped up regarding the Throttle body on your 2011 RT ....are there any symptoms with your bike or just a code? I'd be hard pressed to do anything if its just the code. Can you elaborate if your having running issues?
    Last edited by davev1pa; 12-05-2021 at 08:59 AM.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Dave. I provided a link to the bulletin in post #2. Give it a few seconds to appear. With the 2012, you may just need a software update depending on the part number of your throttle body. Or even better, just need to do a cleaning. Many folks do a cleaning in place, they don't remove the entire unit, just open up the airbox in order to get access to the shaft. It appears that it's mostly about friction of the butterfly valve shaft in the bushings - usually because of gumming up caused by the oil that sometimes gets into the air box. So clean that out, also. At some point, if the situation worsens, you'll get a rough idle, even stalling at idle and limp mode. Not desirable if you're a long way from home. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way to avoiding troubles on the road.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238