Spyder Garage

Question Adding a 7-pin din port where gas or temp gauge is

So I have the bouncy gas needle. I want to disconnect the gas and temp analog gauges so they show on the digital screen. Then change one of those analog gauges into a 7-pin din port where I can connect my cell phone and listen to my music. I know there is one in the rear trunk, but I want it up front....or can a cable be run from the phone up front to the connection in back somehow?

I use my cell phone for gps because I think my Nuvi died on me.

Assuming this can be done, it's a way bigger job than I can do, outside of disconnecting the 2 analog gauges. Is there anybody that can do this?

I'll hang up and listen.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Why not just bluetooth your phone to your helmet? I have done that and don't even use the onboard entertainment anymore.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post
    So I have the bouncy gas needle. I want to disconnect the gas and temp analog gauges so they show on the digital screen. Then change one of those analog gauges into a 7-pin din port where I can connect my cell phone and listen to my music. I know there is one in the rear trunk, but I want it up front....or can a cable be run from the phone up front to the connection in back somehow?

I use my cell phone for gps because I think my Nuvi died on me.

Assuming this can be done, it's a way bigger job than I can do, outside of disconnecting the 2 analog gauges. Is there anybody that can do this?

I'll hang up and listen.
    I stripped out that part of the radio harness that goes to the rear trunk ..... then ran that cable to the right side of my glove box ..... I put my XM receiver in there .... see my Album of it ..... Mike ....PS< there isn't enough OEM cable to go any further ....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I stripped out that part of the radio harness that goes to the rear trunk ..... then ran that cable to the right side of my glove box ..... I put my XM receiver in there .... see my Album of it ..... Mike ....PS< there isn't enough OEM cable to go any further ....
    That's what inspired me to add XM to my '18.

OP---Not sure why you feel you need a 7 pin DIN plug. I'd suggest what pegasus said and BT to your helmet (if that's an option) and just add a USB port to keep the phone charged.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    That's what inspired me to add XM to my '18.

OP---Not sure why you feel you need a 7 pin DIN plug. I'd suggest what pegasus said and BT to your helmet (if that's an option) and just add a USB port to keep the phone charged.
    My phone is paired with my helmet...but I don't wear it all the time. The DIN plug in the rear let's me listen to my music....but my phone can't be in the back and be used for gps... Maybe I will just buy an MP3 player.

Spyder Garage

Why not buy a BT receiver dongle. I think Lamont sells them. But not hard to find and not expensive. Plug the 3.5 mm stereo cable into it. In the trunk. Pair the phone with the dongle. You then can put the phone wherever you want and no wiring to do.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Why not buy a BT receiver dongle. I think Lamont sells them. But not hard to find and not expensive. Plug the 3.5 mm stereo cable into it. In the trunk. Pair the phone with the dongle. You then can put the phone wherever you want and no wiring to do.
    I thought of that but just thought it made too much sense for anybody to have already invented this. I will check the Garage and see if I can find it. Thank you sir!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    This worked perfectly. I didn't see one on Lamont's site. I found one at Target for <$20. This worked like a champ. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Here is the one I got.
    https://www.target.com/p/bluetooth-w...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage