Spyder Garage

Default shuddering start off

When my Spyder is cold I get what feels like a clutch shudder when starting off in 1st gear. Once the bike warms up it seems to go away. Any Ideas and is there a clutch adjustment on the semi-automatics? 2013 ST 998 semi automatic
    2013 ST , Silver & Black

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You don’t say what year or model you have, and no...no clutch adjustments.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Which Spyder model, year, engine & trans do you have? 998cc/SE5? 1330cc/SE6?

However, most Spyders DO have a 'Clunk' on first engaging any gear after starting up (ie, selecting First or Reverse) and that often contributes to a bit of a 'juddering' feel as you take off. In fact, it was such a prevalent issue that back around 2012/13 or there-abouts, it prompted BRP to issue a TSB about it and not long after, upgrade the clutch plates to make them 'stronger' to ensure that it wouldn't damage anything (despite very little evidence that it even could!) but that upgrade coincidentally made the clunk & juddering symptoms a little worse. Still, both the 'clunk' and the 'judder' can usually be reduced/minimised by simply spending a little bit more time letting the engine/trans & the oil warm up a tad longer after starting.

So there's a good chance that what you are concerned about is simply the 'normal' reaction to engaging a 'not yet spinning constant mesh set of gears' with a newly started engine and then driving off, which is all completely normal and (usually) absolutely nothing to worry about..... but then again.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

After years of riding enduro motorcycles, where the clutch and transmission share the oil (but not the engine) I've learned that the oil selection can change clutch operation over the range from grabby to slippy. Your oil selection can be a factor.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Geez we wish you would describe your bike, so we can address the issue. I have learned that my F3L requires a warm up until I see the first bar on the heat scale. I start it then put on my gear and by the time I have my helmet on, she's warm enough to take off. If I take off without warming, throttle response is very sluggish.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Just let your Spyder idle until 1000 RPM. Lets the oil get to flowing and tans works a lot better.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I had to look it up on your profile that you have a 2013 ST. So yes it will shudder on first take off of the day. Maybe even the second or third depending on the distance driven. This is normal and causes no harm. This feature started in the 2013 model year because of the long life clutch plates. As per a BRP Technical Service Bulletin. You will get used to it. I did.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have a 2019 RTL. When I start it cold in the garage and back it out to warm up. It always surges. After warmed up all is good.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

thanks for the response, you mentioned that this was quite prevalent in 2012 & 13 and I am riding a 2013 ST. Hopefully it is nothing to worry about.
    2013 ST , Silver & Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chwkrider View Post
    thanks for the response, you mentioned that this was quite prevalent in 2012 & 13 and I am riding a 2013 ST. Hopefully it is nothing to worry about.
    It has to do with a change in clutch material in 2013. BRP recommendation is to let the machine warm up good before taking off, OR take off quickly after starting the engine to fully engage the clutch before it has a chance to chatter, OR, you can just learn to live with it! It's nothing to worry about.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chwkrider View Post
    It's nothing to worry about.

Fundamentally, it's because in 2013 or ther-abouts, BRP made the clutch plates STRONGER & more able to withstand this sorta stuff, so there's nothing to worry about... except maybe worrying too much about something that really doesn't warrant it at all!

Ryde More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!