Spyder Garage

Default F3L Bad FM Reception

From new my 2018 F3L had terrible FM reception. I took off the antenna and found the normal thread locker on the threads. Cleaned all that off the antenna and chased the mount threads. There was no improvement. There was some plastic mold flash on the antenna mating surface of the mount. Cut that off and filed it flat. No improvement. Took apart the antenna cable at all the connectors and inspected them. No problems found. So at my first service. I always get my first service at the dealer. I told them about the issue. They agreed there was a problem, but was not able to improve things.

So earlier this year I installed a camera system. As part of that I took off the top case. When I took off the antenna ground strap. The bolt was covered in thread locker. So much so that some came off the bolt and was between the ground strap and the frame. During reassembly. Cleaned all the tread locker off the bolt. Chased the threads on the bolt and frame. Cleaned the the thread locker off the ground strap. Reassembled. The FM reception was greatly improved. It is now useable but still think it should be better.

That is something else you can check if your FM reception is not very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Good catch!

Spyder Garage

Have you had the new buds update. Think it's 20 .something. Have 18 F3L Radio Rocks

Spyder Garage

I am at 20.8. That is the latest and greatest for 2018 model. Installed it myself because I have BUDS2. Each update brought lots of improvements but nothing to do with the FM reception.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Have you installed anything else that is bluetooth, wireless, LED or transmits a signal?

I had the same issue when I installed my Sirius Satellite Radio, and the antenna was causing the issue. I got rid of it and the problem went away

Some LED lights emit signals that will interfere with FM radio signals.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    Have you installed anything else that is bluetooth, wireless, LED or transmits a signal?

I had the same issue when I installed my Sirius Satellite Radio, and the antenna was causing the issue. I got rid of it and the problem went away

Some LED lights emit signals that will interfere with FM radio signals.
    Interesting .... I also have the XM receiver and the OEM antenna doesn't affect the receiver signal .... the XM receiver has it's own antenna ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I put led fog lights radio went crazy. Put an isolator in helped. But when i really want to listen to radio leave lights off