Spyder Garage

Default Air compressor repair

When my compressor stopped working I thought I was going to replace it with an aftermarket unit. But I watched Granpot's video on the replacement and decided to inspect mine first. As happended to his also happened to mine and I suspect many others. The crank fell off the motor shaft. I removed the cylinder head, as you need to have that and the connecting rod removed to tighten the crank set screw. I removed the cover(4) screws, heated crank with heat gun to release locktite to remove the set screw. The crankshaft rod bolt is very small and easy to twist off. Note: it is LEFT HAND THREAD. heated the crank again with heat gun to carefully worked the rod bolt loose to remove. I then used locktite 648 on the crank to shaft and regular red locktite on set screw. Also used red locktite on the connecting rod screw. The connecting rod screw has a male torx head. Unit has worked well ever since(over a month). Hope this helps some owners.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

That's a very goo blow-by-blow description of the repair. And congrats on doing it successfully.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I changed mine with the VIAIR model # 95c week before last. I had to drill and tap new holes in order to turn check valve 180
    degrees. Unlike the model everyone's used this one has no issues with the brake lines and works like a champ. Oh, it also doesn't blow any fuses.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    When my compressor stopped working I thought I was going to replace it with an aftermarket unit. But I watched Granpot's video on the replacement and decided to inspect mine first. As happended to his also happened to mine and I suspect many others. The crank fell off the motor shaft. I removed the cylinder head, as you need to have that and the connecting rod removed to tighten the crank set screw. I removed the cover(4) screws, heated crank with heat gun to release locktite to remove the set screw. The crankshaft rod bolt is very small and easy to twist off. Note: it is LEFT HAND THREAD. heated the crank again with heat gun to carefully worked the rod bolt loose to remove. I then used locktite 648 on the crank to shaft and regular red locktite on set screw. Also used red locktite on the connecting rod screw. The connecting rod screw has a male torx head. Unit has worked well ever since(over a month). Hope this helps some owners.
    I'll put mine in the post when it happens
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    I changed mine with the VIAIR model # 95c week before last. I had to drill and tap new holes in order to turn check valve 180
    degrees. Unlike the model everyone's used this one has no issues with the brake lines and works like a champ. Oh, it also doesn't blow any fuses.
    Just curious what fuses were blowing on yours? My compressor quit I didn't replace it but had my rear shock replaced with an elka2 and now I'm getting a C0040 code and my vcm fuse blows
    Thanks
    Leon
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-27-2020 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderryder53 View Post
    Just curious what fuses were blowing on yours? My compressor quit I didn't replace it but had my rear shock replaced with an elka2 and now I'm getting a C0040 code and my vcm fuse blows
    Thanks
    Leon
    Stupid question, but did you unplug your compressor?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-27-2020 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

No, unplug it from where?
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn

Spyder Garage

I followed the wires from the pump and disconnected the plug, if I remember right! My pump went south on me and I made it a manual fill, I unhooked the pump and never looked back, no codes.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks I'll check that out
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Leon
    BRP went to two fuse boxes in the frunk on 2012 and later. Mine original video was for a 2011. If you install the aftermarket compressor on the later models, you need to view my video about the compressor fuses.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Leon
    No fuses blew out. I was merely saying that those who used the Viair 97c had issues with fuse blowing out because that model draws higher amperage. The 95c I used draws the same amps as the OE compressor.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky