Spyder Garage

Default Car Tire Recommendation - 2017 F3T - Perfect Fit?

I am seeing a lot of different recommendations for replacement car tires for the Spyder on these forums. A lot of people mentioned the fit and the fenders and needing to add a washer, etc.

Can someone give me a good tire that will just fit perfectly without me worrying about any adjustments for fitting around my fenders, etc.

My F3T is calling for 165/55/R15 for the front.

Thanks in advance.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Coupla washers will take you maybe 15 minutes. Simple really. Loosen all four bolts on the fender braces take the front bolts out, put the washers on them between the brace and mount then screw the bolts back in. Do the back and tighten. Rinse wash repeat until all the washers are on. That gets you for the Toyo fronts. Best tires ever. Soft ride, no wander glue like adhesion. I will be putting another set on when these die. Fun factor increased by 10!fender brace2.jpgfender brace.jpg
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 10-14-2020 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added info
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Coupla washers will take you maybe 15 minutes. Simple really. Loosen all four bolts on the fender braces take the front bolts out, put the washers on them put the bolts back in. Do the back and tighten. Rinse wash repeat until all the washers are on. That gets you for the Toyo fronts. Best tires ever. Soft ride, no wander glue like adhesion. I will be putting another set on when these die. Fina factor increased by 10!
    Thanks for clarifying, I thought it would be more complicated than that. Which Toyos are you running exactly and what size?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waywardtrails View Post
    I am seeing a lot of different recommendations for replacement car tires for the Spyder on these forums. A lot of people mentioned the fit and the fenders and needing to add a washer, etc.

Can someone give me a good tire that will just fit perfectly without me worrying about any adjustments for fitting around my fenders, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    There should be ZERO issues with a 165/60 - 15 of any Auto tire brand. I personally recommend the Vredestein Q-5 in 165/60-15 but they are a bit more expensive than most..... But they do have the best performance rating .... wet-dry- comfort, and it's even good in the snow / cold temps ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    There should be ZERO issues with a 165/60 - 15 of any Auto tire brand. I personally recommend the Vredestein Q-5 in 165/60-15 but they are a bit more expensive than most..... But they do have the best performance rating .... wet-dry- comfort, and it's even good in the snow / cold temps ..... Mike
    By ZERO issues, do you mean they fit without the washer adjustment?

Spyder Garage

Correct

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance.
    I have Vredestein Q5 165/60-15 on The front of my 2016 F3L and they mounted and ride with no problem.
    Improves the handling greatly.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Correct
    .............Mike

Spyder Garage

Just installed the Vredestein Q5 in 165/60-15 on the front of my wife's 2018 F3L and they fit with no issues. After I asked if her Spyder was riding smoother. She said what ever the dealer did she wants them to do it more often. I told her it was the new front tires. After 600 miles in the last two days she thanked me for having them installed!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Just installed the Vredestein Q5 in 165/60-15 on the front of my wife's 2018 F3L and they fit with no issues. After I asked if her Spyder was riding smoother. She said what ever the dealer did she wants them to do it more often. I told her it was the new front tires. After 600 miles in the last two days she thanked me for having them installed!
    I hope the " Dealer " didn't use Kenda tire PSI's ..... did you tell Her the " Dealer " wasn't the one who recommended the Q-5's ..???? .. Mike

Spyder Garage

I hope the " Dealer " didn't use Kenda tire PSI's ..... did you tell Her the " Dealer " wasn't the one who recommended the Q-5's ..???? .. Mike
    She knows as I ordered them and had them shipped to the dealer. After she hit a large rock on the hwy with the stock left front tire I told her that I no longer trusted that tire. Had already set up the 28,000 mile service with my dealer in MN as we were going there for their last ride and potluck. I called them to see if I could send the tires to them for installation. Was told yes so they were there waiting for us.
    The PSI is correct!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for clarifying, I thought it would be more complicated than that. Which Toyos are you running exactly and what size?
    fender brace.jpgfender brace2.jpg

Run them @ 20psi. You simply put the washers between the fender brace and mount. You are moving the fenders in toward the bike. More details at the link in my sig.

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which Toyos are you running exactly and what size?
    There should be ZERO issues with a 165/60 - 15 of any Auto tire brand. I personally recommend the Vredestein Q-5 in 165/60-15 but they are a bit more expensive than most.
    We have fitted 175/55 tires on the front of our RT (Vred Q5s). Not sure how that would compare with an F3, but the fenders look the same.

The tires definitely fill the space under the fender, but no washers were installed, no clearance issues noted.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Hi Spyder lovers. I've seen several entries here about replacing Kenda tires with Vredestein Q5 or General Altimax and next time I need tires on my 2014 RT-S I will be getting one of these brands. My question is, are these tires steel belted radial construction? 4-ply tread, 2-ply sidewall? Are steel belted tire recommended or discouraged?
    That's all folks !
    2014 RT-S , This will be the first thing I do for it. Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRibbon View Post
    Hi Spyder lovers. I've seen several entries here about replacing Kenda tires with Vredestein Q5 or General Altimax and next time I need tires on my 2014 RT-S I will be getting one of these brands. My question is, are these tires steel belted radial construction? 4-ply tread, 2-ply sidewall? Are steel belted tire recommended or discouraged?
    Go to tirerack.com, for Altimax RT 43 specs .... My Q-5 is as follows : Tread plies 4 = 1 polyester, 2 steel & 1 polyamide .....sidewall =1 polyester & it is a Radial .... of most Auto tires the Q-5's have a much lower max. weight rating ... it's only 908 lbs. ..... this is actually a good thing .... the Spyders don't weigh much so a softer sidewall is an advantage .... at about 15 to 18 psi your ride will feel more comfortable ... yet still give excellent traction ....wet or dry ...... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Tires for F3

Thanks for all the information about replacing front tires. The exact info I was looking for.

Spyder Garage

Now that you have had them for a while how do you like the Q5's? I am having a real hard time finding any 165/55/15 of any MFG.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpdrDvr View Post
    Now that you have had them for a while how do you like the Q5's? I am having a real hard time finding any 165/55/15 of any MFG.
    Actually from what I have heard on this forum finding any tires are a problem ( supply issues ) ..... also the Q-5 tire is being phased out , it has been re-placed by " Quatrac " model .... I hear it's also a winner .... I suggest the 165/60-15 size ....Tire Rack says they have them in stock ....Free shipping .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I fitted 185/60 r15 size tires, and they fit with no adjustments, no washers. Plug and play )
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Actually from what I have heard on this forum finding any tires are a problem ( supply issues ) ..... also the Q-5 tire is being phased out , it has been re-placed by " Quatrac " model .... I hear it's also a winner .... I suggest the 165/60-15 size ....Tire Rack says they have them in stock ....Free shipping .... Mike
    Ordered the new Vredestein Quatrac from Tire Rack, and they arrived last Wednesday. Now to find the time to get them installed
    165/60-15 Front
    205/60-15 Rear

IMG_1150.jpg

Cheers

Spyder Garage

Just a note of endorsement. I have over 9K miles on my Q-5s (all 3) and they look like the day they were installed.
    Best upgrade ever!
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw58 View Post
    Ordered the new Vredestein Quatrac from Tire Rack, and they arrived last Wednesday. Now to find the time to get them installed
    165/60-15 Front
    205/60-15 Rear

IMG_1150.jpg

Cheers
    Since this is the NEW tire from Vredestein .... please keep us posted on it's performance ...... it's valuable info to all .... Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Since this is the NEW tire from Vredestein .... please keep us posted on it's performance ...... it's valuable info to all .... Thanks .... Mike
    I will. After 3 years and 20k on the OEM tires I'm excited to see if I can tell the difference.

Cheers
    Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Just a note of endorsement. I have over 9K miles on my Q-5s (all 3) and they look like the day they were installed.
    Best upgrade ever!
    If anyone likes your review, be advised Vredestein has stopped selling this model .... it has been superceded into the " Quatrac " model ..... I expect it will be just as or better than the Q-5 ...... and TireRack has them ...... Mike