Thread: ? Tire too big

Spyder Garage

Default ? Tire too big

I have my 2016 F3 limited at Flamingo Motorsports to replace my rear tire with a 205/65-15 Vredestein Q5 and laser alignment. Just received a call from them worried that the new taller tire will cause ABS/Traction control problems because of its greater height. I told them many have used this tire without problem.
    I hope i'm right. Has anyone used this tire on an F3L? I already had the fronts replaced with 165/60-15 Q5 and i love what it has done to my handling.
    Thanks for any input.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

No problem with those size tires. That is the size on mine.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RNBOB View Post
    I have my 2016 F3 limited at Flamingo Motorsports to replace my rear tire with a 205/65-15 Vredestein Q5 and laser alignment. Just received a call from them worried that the new taller tire will cause ABS/Traction control problems because of its greater height. I told them many have used this tire without problem.
    I hope i'm right. Has anyone used this tire on an F3L? I already had the fronts replaced with 165/60-15 Q5 and i love what it has done to my handling.
    Thanks for any input.
    Bob
    I'm the guy who discovered and recommend this tire ...... and I confirm that other folks here have mounted that size on an F-3 and it fits. Your dealer is making a " GUESS " about whether it fits.,..... No one here has reported any ABS or VSS issues. .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a "CYA" statement by the dealer, and that's fine. With all the electronic nannies on vehicles, small changes can sometimes cause issues, and as long as they didn't say it will create problems, they are just expressing due caution.

Spyder Garage

You are good to go. Dealerships are usually way behind in what works (and what doesn't work).

Ride like you stole it!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the positive replies.
    Can't wait to get the spyder back to see how it handles.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RNBOB View Post
    Thanks for all the positive replies.
    Can't wait to get the spyder back to see how it handles.
    .... You arn't very far from where I live ..... You are welcome to visit ( and stay ) and ride my area with me ...... next season, snow is predicted soon here .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is the exact tire and size that we have on HER RT.

We don't ride hard enough to kick in the "safety" stuff, but have had NO problems with 'normal' operation.

The taller tire also gets your speedo REALLY accurate. The odometer will be about 2% slow, though.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    The taller tire also gets your speedo REALLY accurate. The odometer will be about 2% slow, though.

Just be aware that no two speedo's or odo's/trip meters will necessarily have exactly the same error, unless they've been very carefully calibrated to do just that!! And I seriously doubt that BRP or any of their component suppliers actually do that too often!

So whatever tire change works FOR YOU to get your speedo dead accurate might work for someone else, but the chances are that it'll more likely correct to some extent in the same direction, but not necessarily quite as precisely - it could be a bit worse, or possibly it could be even better!

Similarly, while in your case Steve, when you've fitted these tires and ended up with an accurate speedo and an odo that's 2% slow, that's not necessarily or even highly likely to produce exactly the same result for anyone else, altho it IS quite likely to be somewhere in the same ball-park!!

And that's just as a result of the inherent differences there weill always be between sensors & electronic devices etc - I haven't even started in on the variations that any differences in things like ambient temps, tire rolling resistance, soldering connection quality, or wiring resistance &/or length et al might cause!!

But going back to the OP's 'Nanny' question, it's extremely unlikely that such a small change in the rolling dia of your tire will have ANY impact on the ABS/Traction control, largely because the 'change in size' your tire choice brings with it is barely any greater than the difference between running a brand new tire with full tread depth vs running a completely worn out tire with NO tread depth left!! And when you add in that the programming for the 'Nanny' not only MUST be able to cater for THAT difference, but it also must be capable of catering for any one tire going flat.... and if BRP is permitted to sell Spyders/Rykers in ANY public auto market in the World, then it certainly still works if THAT happens!!

So anyone telling you that a change in tire rolling diameter of just a few mms is going to cause issues with the Nanny, ABS, or Traction Control is either deliberately trying to mislead you; or they have no bloody idea & are probably simply parrotting what they've been told to tell you by a person/organisation that falls into the former category!!

Ps: I'm currently running a 205/65R15 Michelin that (within specified temp & presure ranges) is giving me a (tested & calibrated) accurate to a fraction of a kph speedo reading AND accurate Odo/Trip Meter readings to a similar level - and they didn't need to make any adjustments to achieve either!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2020 at 11:45 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!