Spyder Garage

Default Rear brake squeeks

Dealer installed new rear pads on 2012 RT Limited

Now when coming to stop only just before stop there is a squeal sound. More often first few stops

Dealer so far not able to fix

Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Brake squeal is not uncommon. Especially on the pre-2013 models. There are a number of things that can be done to mitigate the noise. The 1st thing I would try would be to do some hard stops to heat the pads up and cure the resin. Slow as fast as you can from 60 mph to 20 mph in quick succession at least 3 times. Then ride a few miles without applying the brakes to let the brake system cool naturally. This may cure your problem. If not, there are some other things which can be done. However, the most effective methods require removal of the brake pads.

Good luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks I’ll try that and let you know if it fixes the issue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Brake squeal is not uncommon. Especially on the pre-2013 models. There are a number of things that can be done to mitigate the noise. The 1st thing I would try would be to do some hard stops to heat the pads up and cure the resin. Slow as fast as you can from 60 mph to 20 mph in quick succession at least 3 times. Then ride a few miles without applying the brakes to let the brake system cool naturally. This may cure your problem. If not, there are some other things which can be done. However, the most effective methods require removal of the brake pads.

Good luck!
    I have had the same problem only my squeal is when I back up my 2012RT. It happens as I am rolling back (engine off) I step on the brake and it stops...had a mechanic here in Greenville SC tell me to spray some silicone on the brake sprocket ?? Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

I have had the same problem only my squeal is when I back up my 2012RT. It happens as I am rolling back (engine off) I step on the brake and it stops...had a mechanic here in Greenville SC tell me to spray some silicone on the brake sprocket ?? Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Brake sprocket?????????????/
    I wouldn't have silicone spray anywhere near my brakes.............. I even wash my dirty, greasy hands before putting in the brake pads.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's a "brake sprocket"? And yeah, any silicone spray needs to be far from braking surfaces.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Brake sprocket?????????????/
    I wouldn't have silicone spray anywhere near my brakes.............. I even wash my dirty, greasy hands before putting in the brake pads.

Lew L
    Agreed. Bad advise, even if you could figure out what they were talking about!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tip.

Has helped to cure the problem except for first couple of stops. After that no sounds.