Spyder Garage

Default Why does the 2019 F3 Limited not come with a Belt tensioner and roller?

Is it not needed? Because I sure do feel the vibration at 73 mph and higher when on the highway. And if it does need it...is the best option the Belt tensioner and roller from Lamonster? And does the tensioner OEM tensioner fail or is it just the roller?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' thread not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the roller bearings that have a life expectancy of 10k-15k miles (per Lamont). Lamont uses a double roller bearing and a wider roller so I'm guessing the OEM tensioner won't last as long. Could be why they only offer a 1 year warranty on the OEM version. I think you can buy a replacement roller/bearings from Lamont for like 20 bucks. Even if you ride daily (and a LOT of miles daily), I can't see riding more than 15k miles/year. Paying an extra $20/year to replace the roller/bearings seems like a deal but then again, I'm a Lamont/Lamonster fanboy so take that for what it's worth.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
    Is it not needed? Because I sure do feel the vibration at 73 mph and higher when on the highway. And if it does need it...is the best option the Belt tensioner and roller from Lamonster? And does the tensioner OEM tensioner fail or is it just the roller?
    IMHO ... BRP went ElCheapo with their roller tensioner and they Now know the results .... I cured my Belt Vibe issue by lowering the Belt tension to 160lbs ...On-The-Ground. ..... annnnnnnnnnnnd I don't have to worry about " Tensioner Failure " that has ruined quite few Belts, as re-ported on this Forum. ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I used Lamonster tension on my F3L for 6 k miles.......one of two bearings injested water and rusted. Ordered Stainless Steel Bearings ( repacked with grease)and installed in the roller hoping for longer life. I was checking it every morning on our 2800 mile venture 2 weeks ago. Keep an eye on it folks.....bearings fail.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Inserted missing eye. ;)
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Smooth Spyder

Spyder Garage

I have ask the same question Bluebelle. My F3L does the same thing and really gets a severe vibration in the high 70 mph range. I don’t ride in the mid seventies often but when on the interstate it’s more common. Staying in the slow lane and below the traffic flow, just so the bike doesn’t vibrate, is causing me to consider installing a belt vib. dampener and just change the roller at each oil change. I also took my bike to the dealer so the mechanic could test ride and he agreed a dampener would help. I suppose I could change the belt tension as some have mentioned but I wonder why the BRP engineers just don’t do that from the factory.

Poasttown 2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

First, it is a vibration dampener, not a belt tensioner. The belt tensioner on our Spyders are the 2 tensioning bolts at the back of the axle. I know it seems a petty aspect. But words have meaning.

Second, it isn't needed in the sense that everything works just fine without a dampener. Not withstanding the aggravation for some that the vibration brings. I've been riding motorcycles all my life. After single cylinder BSA's, etc., a little vibration is no big deal to me.

If you do get a vibration dampener. Be sure to get one that won't grenade on you and ruin your $300.00 belt. Those little buggers turn at an extremely fast clip. Around 30k at times. You want something that will take that kind of abuse. This certainly leaves out the BRP dampener.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-13-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I did not take off the covers but I do not think my bike even has the OEM tensioner on it...that is what I do not understand. Why would BRP NOT put a tensioner on the bike?

Spyder Garage

I agree. Seems odd that a $26k retail bike you would have to add a tensioner to get the vibration out...surely they know this is happening...seems odd for such an expensive toy they would not add a decent tension and roller set up???? Bizarre!

Spyder Garage

So thanks for the education on tensioner vs dampner. Now you have really got me scared...do I add the dampner and take a chance of it blowing up....or do I leave it off and I have read that without a dampner it will lessen the life of the belt and is not good for the engine....any thoughts anyone please???

Spyder Garage

I did not take off the covers but I do not think my bike even has the OEM tensioner on it...that is what I do not understand. Why would BRP NOT put a tensioner on the bike?
    Maybe because the majority don't have this problem or the majority of people ignore the problem or maybe just suffer silently? Who knows.

Changing belt tension can make a difference. To smooth mine completely out I also installed the dampener from Lamonster. Periodically I reach under the bike, lift the wheel off the belt, and give it a spin just to make sure all is OK. If the wheel ever feels ruff or the bearing don't roll smooth I'll replace them.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So thanks for the education on tensioner vs dampner. Now you have really got me scared...do I add the dampner and take a chance of it blowing up....or do I leave it off and I have read that without a dampner it will lessen the life of the belt and is not good for the engine....any thoughts anyone please???
    Look at this tensioner/dampener....https://www.smoothspyder.com/ Site sponsor...Some who are using it have reported 50,000 miles without a problem...Costs a little more but way better in the long run...Mine has 30,000 miles and never a problem...larryd
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2020 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

read my post #3. above ...... Mike