Spyder Garage

Default auto leveling question

I have a 2020 RT limited that has auto leveling. Does the engine have to be running for it to work or just the key in the on position.

Spyder Garage

If it's like all the earlier Spyders, it'll need the engine to be running AND the trans in gear before the compressor will do its thing!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll have to add to Peter's comment.

Not only does the engine have to be running and the transmission in gear, the parking brake has to be OFF.

This is easy enough to test at home. Find a couple of chock blocks that will keep the bike from rolling and put them ahead of and behind a wheel. Start the engine, put in gear, release the parking brake. Does the 2020 have an adjustment switch like earlier models? If so, play with the switch, you will see and hear the suspension adjusting. NOTE: on our '17, the first press of the adjustment button will "wake up" the system, the second press actually makes the change.

That will test that the switch is making adjustments, but to check the auto-level, stand on one of the passenger floorboards, you should hear the compressor kick in. We tried this at night, with the headlights shining across the yard. It was interesting to see the lights return to the same level when the auto-levelling was complete.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

No suspension switch since 2018.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, should still see the action when stepping on the rear floorboards.

I'll add that to the "another reason I like our '17" file.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Out of curiosity are you having any issues, or just fact finding on your part?
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

just learning my rig. No issues at really

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I'll have to add to Peter's comment.

Not only does the engine have to be running and the transmission in gear, the parking brake has to be OFF.

This is easy enough to test at home. Find a couple of chock blocks that will keep the bike from rolling and put them ahead of and behind a wheel. Start the engine, put in gear, release the parking brake. Does the 2020 have an adjustment switch like earlier models? If so, play with the switch, you will see and hear the suspension adjusting. NOTE: on our '17, the first press of the adjustment button will "wake up" the system, the second press actually makes the change.

That will test that the switch is making adjustments, but to check the auto-level, stand on one of the passenger floorboards, you should hear the compressor kick in. We tried this at night, with the headlights shining across the yard. It was interesting to see the lights return to the same level when the auto-levelling was complete.

I played around with standing on and getting off the passenger foot rest with my 220 lbs. The head light beam only moved slightly on the wall of the car port. I think I have a stealth pump. Checked the fuses and swapped the relay with the reverse one. Reverse still worked. So a better test appeared in my brain! I put it back in the car port with the blocks front and back of the rear tire and with the engine off I lifted the seat and let the air out of the system and watched the rear sink down a few inches. Started it up and the stealth unheard pump brought it right back up to its ride height. Pump must be at one of the ranges the VA hearing test said I have lost. Anyway a very definitive test that the pump does work!
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

So I crawled underneath and the Ride height adjuster lever was in fact attached. I then checked the pressure in the schrader valve and found that the air was only at 40 lbs. I checked the schrader valve core and it was not very tight so I tightened it. I then put 55 psi in the system. That is what is called for at my weight of 230 lbs. I will leave it for a few days and recheck the pressure. If it is losing pressure I will contact the dealer. I know you can buy extension hoses to go on the valve but I also know they have a history of leaking. Any thoughts on an extension hose to make airing it up when I am riding two up easier?

Spyder Garage

You have the Ltd, auto adjust height. you could only check if you have any leaks by adding air. as soon as you start moving the auto adjust will either let air out or tell compressor to add air
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    ...you could only check if you have any leaks by adding air. ...
    Is it possible to add an air gauge to monitor the system that way?

Also,

I thought that most car and truck air suspension systems dump air once the vehicle is turned off to reduce stress on the components. Does the Spyder do that or is it supposed to stay pressurized?

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It stays pressureized, at least both of mine do.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
    just learning my rig. No issues at really
    Page 50 of your operator's guide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Remember, the purpose of the auto adjust is not to create a harder or softer ride. It is to keep the Spyder level regardless of the load on the seat. Two heavy riders will cause the pressure to be greater than a single light weight rider, but the headlight aim will stay the same.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have never heard of modern vehicles dumping suspension air pressure when turned off. Now if it leaks?

On my Ram 1500. It is a closed loop system. Dry nitrogen is stored in tanks. The compressor just moves the stuff around to keep the 4 corners at the right height. It does have a Entry/Exit height that drops the vehicle down so it is easier to get in and out. But that has to chosen and not automatic.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

As with just about anything else on these machines, the suspension height must be calibrated using BUDS to be correct. The service manual calls out two wooden blocks of different heights that the frame is set on. Then, using BUDS, readings are taken and stored to be used by the automatic system to maintain correct height under varying loads.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Page 50 of your operator's guide.
    I love how everyone thinks I can't or haven't read the manual. Maybe I wanted personal observations who knows? People do have questions even after reading the manual, sometimes the manual just doesn't make sense to someone. The Marines I cared for thought I was smart enough to take care of battle wounds or see them in sick bay. Maybe they were mistaken. Who knows.

Spyder Garage

Our of curiosity I put an air gauge on the air bladder. 52psi. I have 2020 RTL and thus far have ridden solo. I weight 245lb.

I haven't even had thoughts if it should be firmer/softer. It is fine. Little surprised though it was that high. I've never heard the pump, but have hearing aids and probably couldn't hear it anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have four FOBO's on my 14RTS. One on each tire and one on the air ride Schrader valve under the seat. Normally I ride on the second setting on the dashboard. That pressure will self-adjust from 27 psi to 35 psi. The top setting will adjust itself to about 70 psi to 74 psi. When I ride 2up the pressure can max out at 85 psi.