Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for waterproof riding (over) bibs/pants recommendations

I have a pair of cheap wet weather pants. Unfortunately, they allowed the back half of me (from waist to knees) to get soaked yesterday whilst riding back from the dealership. Unfortunately (part 2), I have a couple "requirements". First, I'm fat. I've got a big arse so that eliminates quite a few pants/bibs. Second, I carry. Always. Like an American Express, I never leave home without it.

So, I'd prefer a set of bibs. With a rain jacket over it, there's little to no chance of getting wet (short of a little bit of water down the collar). But, with bibs, I can't carry unless they were quite a bit oversized. My Olympia Hudson jacket has a butt zipper (not really sure what or if there's an official name for it) so in theory I could zip in a pair of pants which (again, in theory) would eliminate water down the back of the pants (I think).

I've never owned a high quality pair of rain pants/bibs so I'm hoping someone here can give me some suggestions. Not saying money is no object (it is) but I want something quality that fits/works well and will last. I don't ride in the rain alot but I DO ride 12 months/year and also use rain pants as a windbreaker when it gets cold.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you want to stay dry, look for poly vinyl pants, like what highway construction workers wear. If you tied the pant legs in a knot they could be used for carrying water. Not attractive ( imho ) but they will keep you dry ..... annnnnnnnnd they arn't expensive ... try E-bay ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a Firstgear Hypertex rain jacket and pants I bought from Bajaron. Summer of 2019 I rode in it for 4+ hours in absolutely frog strangling rain with 45-50 max speed, and stayed completely dry. The suit was also good wind protection over Wolf Creek Pass.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I use 2 piece IXS rain gear. It's made in Germany and I'm lucky my LBS carries a line of it to try on because i had to go up 2 sizes on the top and 1 size up for the bottom for it to fit. It runs small. Mine is black, but it also comes in HI Viz. I didn't like Frogg Toggs for riding and this was suggested. It fits snug, but does the job in heavy rain. I've walked into my office looking soaking wet only to pull off my rain gear to assure everyone Im completely dry. Its not the cheapest, but it works..
    https://ixs.com/us/moto/motorcycle-g...et-saint-black

Spyder Garage

Check out KLIM Forecast Jacket and pants. Light weight and easy to pack. Not cheap, but likely the last rain gear you'll ever buy. Unless you change sizes

Spyder Garage

Default Goretex for the win.

I have found any gear made with GORETEX liner or bonded to shell is 100% waterproof. I've ridden at high speeds (sport touring bikes) in all-day downpours on the slab to return home from multi-state tours and always remained dry. Goretex allows sweat to escape but prevents rain from entering. I've had other brands that claim to be waterproof and breathable but they still let rain pass thru and soak my body. Goretex gear is not cheap but well worth the extra cost IMHO.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The big problem isn't necessarily the material of the pants but the gap between the back of the pants at the waist and the back of the jacket (which I'm planning on keeping). Because I'm fat, that gap widens when I sit. That's why I was thinking about bibs but wanted recommendations on all. My jacket has a zipper in the back to attach pants. Will any rain pants (with a zipper) zip onto this? If so, that may solve the issue aswell.

Spyder Garage

I agree with sledman, gortex and I love my “klim” forecast too. My wife and I got caught in a huge downpour in the UP. No where to take cover under. We pulled over and waited it out. It slowed down enough to ride and we road all day in the rain. Never got a drop of water. Gortex doesn’t stick to you like a garbage bag (plastic) They make suspenders to hold the pants if you want. Klim is not cheap but I live by it in the snow and on the road. Very well made. Might also want to look at construction cross over suspenders. They hold up construction belts they will hold up your pants. Klim does run a bit small but I have seen some pretty big guys wearing klim pants in the winter. I like the forecast in the summer. Might want to check out the KLIM traverse. I believe it zips into pants. Little heavier but very good from what I hear for summer wear. One more thing. Simply let KLIM gear dry. Then brush off all the road grime and rinse in a wash tub. Throw it in the washer with no soap then heat for 5 minutes at tops and let air dry. It will retain its waterproof and can be cleaned. My high VIZ was black after the ride and looks brand new today.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They look nice but I can't justify almost $250 for just pants. I really appreciate the suggestion, though.

Spyder Garage

My Husband and I just came back from Spyder Adventure in Maggie Valley this past Sunday and rode about 7 hrs and some of it very strong rain and remained dry entire time. We purchased these IXS reflective rainsuits last year at Iron Pony and certainly glad we did. https://ironpony.com/ipd/brand/bc3.a...S/c2/Rain-Gear Highly recommend them. I know my husband usually carries, not sure if he was this past Sunday, I was more concerned about the rain.

Sandie in
    Louisburg, NC
    2014 RT Limited , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsSewn View Post
    I know my husband usually carries, not sure if he was this past Sunday...
    Like American Express, I never leave home without it. (Let's just say I'm fully prepared for a zombie apocalypse.)

Proud member of ZORT! (Zombie Outbreak Response Team)

Spyder Garage

I would suggest frog togs. I have a pair of coveralls that are great for rain. My jackets I wear are water resistant but in Arizona the combination works great.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    I would suggest frog togs. I have a pair of coveralls that are great for rain. My jackets I wear are water resistant but in Arizona the combination works great.
    Much closer to my price range especially since I'm not in rain much. They must be discontinuing all of their bibs, at least the more inexpensive ones. I'll give their site a good lookover later.

On a side note, they seem to have a sense of humor. Directly from their website: "Our warranty does not cover damage inflicted by tree branches, fish hooks, fillet knives, shotguns, chainsaws, falling down a mountain, failure of your chute to open, fire-walking, becoming a porcupine’s love interest, gator wrestling or any similar brushes with Mother Nature and its inhabitants."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    On a side note, they seem to have a sense of humor. Directly from their website: "Our warranty does not cover damage inflicted by tree branches, fish hooks, fillet knives, shotguns, chainsaws, falling down a mountain, failure of your chute to open, fire-walking, becoming a porcupine’s love interest, gator wrestling or any similar brushes with Mother Nature and its inhabitants."
    Sense of humor? It's also possible that they might have had those (attempts at) warranty claims.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I wear an HWK rain suit. It is not terribly expensive and it has the breathable liners. I never have understood how air can go in and out, but water only goes out, but it seems to work. The HWK suits are actually armored dirt bike racing gear. You can take the armor out of them if you want and wear it as only a rain suit. I have worn it in pouring Florida thunderstorms and stayed plenty dry. Best rain gear I ever had. I still carry a light weight Frog Togs Road Toad rain suit in the frunk for emergency use. The HWK suit is fairly bulky. Remember, whatever you decide to buy, order it at least one size too large, so that you can put it on over the bulky layering in winter. Other things you can do is be sure the rain suit you buy has the Velcro bands at the leg opening and the wrist area that will tighten down to keep water out. Also a good pair of waterproof gloves with long gauntlets that go over the rain jacket sleeves keep water out.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Monk, wouldn't it work for you if you put the gun in your bag, then retrieve it after you stop and remove the rainsuit?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I wear an HWK rain suit. It is not terribly expensive and it has the breathable liners. I never have understood how air can go in and out, but water only goes out, but it seems to work. The HWK suits are actually armored dirt bike racing gear. You can take the armor out of them if you want and wear it as only a rain suit. I have worn it in pouring Florida thunderstorms and stayed plenty dry. Best rain gear I ever had. I still carry a light weight Frog Togs Road Toad rain suit in the frunk for emergency use. The HWK suit is fairly bulky. Remember, whatever you decide to buy, order it at least one size too large, so that you can put it on over the bulky layering in winter. Other things you can do is be sure the rain suit you buy has the Velcro bands at the leg opening and the wrist area that will tighten down to keep water out. Also a good pair of waterproof gloves with long gauntlets that go over the rain jacket sleeves keep water out.
    Doesn't seem they offer anything big enough to fit me but thanks for the suggestion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Monk, wouldn't it work for you if you put the gun in your bag, then retrieve it after you stop and remove the rainsuit?
    No, sir. That defeats the purpose of carrying. I don't carry so I can go hunting when I get to my destination. I carry to protect myself and others. That's also why I always carry with a round in the pipe. If there's an imminent threat, I don't have time to unlock the frunk, dig through my bag, draw the weapon, etc. I need to draw NOW.

Spyder Garage

According to the Goretex and other breathable liners' hype the reason sweat gets out and rain stays out is the size of the pores. Appaently sweat droplets are smaller than rain droplets at a microscopic level. I'm not a scientist but I have stayed in Holiday Inns on my travels.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hear a lot of good stuff about Frogg Toggs. But I have purchased the cheaper set (around $29), and the more expensive set. The cheaper set did good for about 4 wears, and then they started to leak. As for the more expensive and thicker set, the jacket does fine, but the pants SUCK! The pant legs have started to rip and tear at the bottom, and they leak in the seat of the pants. I purchased a set of camaflauge hunting pants from a clearance sale at Walmart this spring. I gave them a try, and so far, so good. So for the Frog Togs, I say, jacket is good, but the pants suck. My next move is to break back out the green rubber suit pants. They get hot, but they keep the rain out.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

One thing I like about the Klim Forecast pants besides being Gore-Tex and waterproof is the almost full length zipper on the outside of each leg makes putting them on so easy.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Default waterproof overpants

Monk

If you haven't made a purchase yet, consider the First Gear Kilimanjaro pants. Full lenth zippers on both legs gusseted waist closure and they make suspenders that zip attach in the back. All day rain, and dry. No need to stop and fiddle with rain gear. Wear them year round.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Monk

If you haven't made a purchase yet, consider the First Gear Kilimanjaro pants. Full lenth zippers on both legs gusseted waist closure and they make suspenders that zip attach in the back. All day rain, and dry. No need to stop and fiddle with rain gear. Wear them year round.

Al in Kazoo
    Yep .... full touring gear is the best option... you get what you pay for. My last trip was 4 days of rain out of 16 days. I was bone dry the whole time. I have had this set for 10 years and its still hanging in there.

Textile jacket and pants.. leather.com Under $200 for the pair and they still do the job, worried about the legs creeping up , get a
    Pair of boot suspenders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll check them out after lunch. Nice Classic. I've had 2 Nomads. Just traded the last one (a '14) on my new RT.

Spyder Garage

Look into Frogg Toggs.....not the regular motorcycle pants.....My friend who sells Frogg Toggs ordered a bib for me....different material than the "tyvec" kind of material ....... with the standard Frogg togg jacket I stay dry in all day rain.....BUT You have to buy this stuff way bigger to fit over your riding gear WITHOUT stretching the seams when you sit !!