Spyder Garage

Default F3 Special Series - USB??

Hey everyone, I’m new to the Spyder community. I just purchased a 2020 F3-S special series and I want to use the BRP connect. I have successfully paired the BT but the screen prompts me to connect phone however it seems there is no place to physically connect the phone to the bike?! I asked the dealer (who said USB connect is not avail on this model) and mailed BRP who told me to refer to the owner’s manual. Argh! Why would it tell me to connect my phone with to a USB if there is no USB? Anyone here with a special series who can help this gal out??

Spyder Garage

I am not that familiar with the F3-S Special Series. But on the F3T and L the usb data cable is in the glove box. Along with the 3.5 mm stereo audio input cable. If yours has a glovebox. Then look there.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply! There’s no glove box on this model.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 F3S Special Series too. The USB cable should be routed into the frunk. You might have to remove the frunk liner and route them in yourself if the dealer didn't do it. The cables will be there in front of the battery.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

The dealer definitely didn’t do it - they are telling me the feature isn’t available in this model. But I don’t all together trust them, their knowledge of machine seems limited at best - anyway, I will remove the frunk liner tomorrow and to see what I can discover. It will soon be battery charger time anyway. Thanks for the reply!

Spyder Garage

Well that makes sense that they would route the cables to somewhere that you could put your phone while riding. Since you don't have a glovebox. Then the front trunk would seem likely.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have a special series f3, the usb and 1/8 connectors are routed through the frunk liner into the frunk. There are no speakers on the SS, so connecting to the brp connect is kind of pointless. I deleted my connection to the bike and use sena evo 20s communicators for driver and passenger helmets. I can make/receive phone calls, listen to music from my phone, and talk to passenger. All through Bluetooth. Hope this helps!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F3S special series. Does it have the same USB set up?
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Thanks- I was hoping to use the maps but I couldn’t get it to work very well. I ended up getting bit lost but it was a nice Fall day so it wasn’t all that bad. Maybe BT system for my helmet will be next ��

Spyder Garage

I have the lamonster approved phone holder with the usb power port for my phone attached to the left side of the handlebars. Great setup! I like to ride with maps always guiding me back home when I have no destination set. Seeing upcoming street names is helpful when exploring new area's. Almost all phones have bigger screens than what you would see on the gauge cluster .

Spyder Garage

I have the F3S as well and on the dashboard there is a spot for the heated seats outlet and fog lights...I installed the fog lights on the right (if your sitting on the bike right not standing in front of it...lol) anyway..on the left outlet i will be installing a usb from amazon..([2 Pack] 12V USB Outlet, Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Power Outlet with Touch Switch) its 17.00 only because im getting the two pack so I can install the other under the seat for the rear passenger...but in any case...under your left panel (remember sitting on the bike from right to left)..lol... there is a customer accessory port you can wire to that usb and now you have two usbs on your dash board..the only down side is you may have to drill to open the hole up a little more because it is very narrow for that usb port to be pushed into...and when you lift the top it may hit the handle bars but as for plugging in your device its not a big deal at all....hope this helps...USBPLUG1.jpgUSBPLUG2.jpg

Just wanted to send an update...its not water proof but I don't plan on riding to much in the rain and if im caught in the rain i would put my phone in my pocket anyway...lol

Spyder Garage

Default Wiring help

Quote Originally Posted by kennygee View Post
    I have the F3S as well and on the dashboard there is a spot for the heated seats outlet and fog lights...I installed the fog lights on the right (if your sitting on the bike right not standing in front of it...lol) anyway..on the left outlet i will be installing a usb from amazon..([2 Pack] 12V USB Outlet, Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Power Outlet with Touch Switch) its 17.00 only because im getting the two pack so I can install the other under the seat for the rear passenger...but in any case...under your left panel (remember sitting on the bike from right to left)..lol... there is a customer accessory port you can wire to that usb and now you have two usbs on your dash board..the only down side is you may have to drill to open the hole up a little more because it is very narrow for that usb port to be pushed into...and when you lift the top it may hit the handle bars but as for plugging in your device its not a big deal at all....hope this helps...USBPLUG1.jpgUSBPLUG2.jpg

Just wanted to send an update...its not water proof but I don't plan on riding to much in the rain and if im caught in the rain i would put my phone in my pocket anyway...lol
    Thanks so much for this! My USB port from Amazon has red and black wires. How did you wire to the accessory port? Did you have to cut the port off and wire directly? Also the port on my F3 2020 has 4 wire, so would love to know which wire to the red and black on the USB socket.

Spyder Garage

The wiring on the left side of the ignition switch is for the heated grip controls. It is a real tangle when you try to trace it thru the wiring diagram. Don't bother.
    I drilled out the plastic and installed a dual USB socket with voltmeter. The hole for the heated grip switch is 19mm. I had to drill the hole to 28mm+ to fit my USB Socket.
    The accessory port is just a set of wires with no connector. There should be a tag on the wires labeling them Accessory port.
    Just run a set of wires from the accessory port from under the access panel on the left side. The wires on the left side are a dead head with no terminals. You have to wire in your own connectors for the USB.
    In my case I connected my USB and GPS to this same deadhead connection. Power is only on when the engine is running.
    Last edited by Haze; 07-04-2021 at 09:00 PM. Reason: clarify explanation
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    The wiring on the left side of the ignition switch is for the heated grip controls. It is a real tangle when you try to trace it thru the wiring diagram. Don't bother.
    I drilled out the plastic and installed a dual USB socket with voltmeter. The hole for the heated grip switch is 19mm. I had to drill the hole to 28mm+ to fit my USB Socket.
    The accessory port is just a set of wires with no connector. There should be a tag on the wires labeling them Accessory port.
    Just run a set of wires from the accessory port from under the access panel on the left side. The wires on the left side are a dead head with no terminals. You have to wire in your own connectors for the USB.
    In my case I connected my USB and GPS to this same deadhead connection. Power is only on when the engine is running.
    Thanks!

I think with everything you’ve said and this video, I can wire my own USB port. I’ll just save $100 and use my own from Amazon.

https://youtu.be/_2wSQASc0tE

Noob question, why not just wire to the battery with an in line fuse?

Appreciate the help and patience.

Spyder Garage

Wiring direct to the battery causes the USB port to be always on.
    If the USB port is lighted/pilot light or has a voltmeter then it will continue to draw battery power when the bike is turned off. Very little power but still a drain on the system.
    I prefer to have everything off when I turn the key off.
    Your choice. You can do it. DIY/Farkling is almost as much fun as riding.
    David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Awesome, I thought so, so ordered a USB port with an off switch. Thanks for all your help!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 F3-S Special series and i had the same problem. There is a usb connecter and a aux cord connecter in the frunk, take out the liner in the frunk as if u were trying to get to the battery and u should see the connecters

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fullyallamathic View Post
    I have a 2021 F3-S Special series and i had the same problem. There is a usb connecter and a aux cord connecter in the frunk, take out the liner in the frunk as if u were trying to get to the battery and u should see the connecters
    Thank you. I'll look today. Still questioning the logic behind the non inclusion of usb chargers when the cheaper Ryker has them

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

IMG_20210708_131609.jpg

Seems like my 2020 F3 std does not have that...am I missing something?

Spyder Garage

is that a Special Series or just an S? The S does not have BRP Connect.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2021 at 07:51 PM. Reason: seres = series ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fullyallamathic View Post
    is that a Special Series or just an S? The S does not have BRP Connect.
    It's the 2020 F3 base model.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2021 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

the base model doesn't have brp connect. you would have to buy the kit
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2021 at 07:41 AM. Reason: by = buy ;-)

Spyder Garage

I suspected as much. I'll scour the forum to see how to connect to a switched corrector and connect my own frunk USB connection.

Appreciate your help.