Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL burning smell

After riding my Spyder 2020 RTL with about a thousand miles on it. I smell something burning like a rubber or plastic burning smell. Any one else has this problem?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Probably off the cat. We have all smelled the burning rubber. Even on the older models.

Spyder Garage

Coming from the left side, near where the front pulley is? Mine did that until I tweaked the belt a little. Tomorrows task is to tension and align the belt, since it's raining here. It's currently against the outboard front flange and the inboard rear flange and at about 210 KriKit #, which agrees with the frequency (B0+ since I use a musical tuner). Bet yours is the same. I'll center mine up and go for A0, which is about 160#.

When your ride is over, feel the belt for heat and look for glazing or chamfering on the sides of the belt teeth.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I smelled the same thing today after I got home from the dealer on my new 2021 RT. I have to go back in 2 weeks so if it's still got the smell, I'll have them check it out then. I'm not worried about it. Absolutely worst case scenario, the belt breaks and has to be replaced under warranty.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I smelled the same thing today after I got home from the dealer on my new 2021 RT. I have to go back in 2 weeks so if it's still got the smell, I'll have the check it out then. I'm not worried about it. Absolutely worst case scenario, the belt breaks and has to be replaced under warranty.
    I wouldn't count on them re-placing it " under warranty ". many, many folks here have learned that lowering the BRP recommended Belt tension to about 160lbs ( tire on the ground ) using the KriKit II usually eliminates belt vibes .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I smelled the same thing today after I got home from the dealer on my new 2021 RT. I have to go back in 2 weeks so if it's still got the smell, I'll have the check it out then. I'm not worried about it. Absolutely worst case scenario, the belt breaks and has to be replaced under warranty.
    To intentionally ride your machine with the belt out of alignment, I am sorry dose not make sense to me! If it's not out and your just smelling rubber than I guess I see your point! You will smell and feel all kinds of things with a new ride until it's broken in!! Good luck with your new RT ENJOY!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Still get the burnt rubber smell on occasion at just under 20,000 miles. Never have found the cause. Never had a hot belt.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I wouldn't count on them re-placing it " under warranty ". many, many folks here have learned that lowering the BRP recommended Belt tension to about 160lbs ( tire on the ground ) using the KriKit II usually eliminates belt vibes .... Mike
    If the belt breaks after a few hundred miles, either they'll replace it under warranty or they'll feel the wrath of my public relations campaign. I know how to use the BBB/AG and social media as well as the news outlets. (Not kidding.)

I added a belt tensioner to my 2018 which fixed the 72-78mph buzz. This time around, I'll ask the shop to loosen the belt. If they refuse, I'll add a belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    To intentionally ride your machine with the belt out of alignment, I am sorry dose not make sense to me! If it's not out and your just smelling rubber than I guess I see your point! You will smell and feel all kinds of things with a new ride until it's broken in!! Good luck with your new RT ENJOY!!!!
    I doubt it's out of alignment. I'm guessing it's way too tight (although I'm sure it's within BuRP specs, unfortunately). Not sure if what I smell is rubber or catalytic convertor. I fully expect this to be "broken in" (600 miles worth, anyway) within a couple of weeks.

Spyder Garage

I have been paying attention to belt alignment at the dealer. Every machine on the floor has the belt hard up against the rear flange and I thus speculate hard up against the front outboard flange, just like mine was delivered. I wouldn't assume good alignment. I'm going out to adjust mine now -- wish me luck, but prepare for another disaster story.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Mine was the the panel above the rear tire had broken loose.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I have been paying attention to belt alignment at the dealer. Every machine on the floor has the belt hard up against the rear flange and I thus speculate hard up against the front outboard flange, just like mine was delivered. I wouldn't assume good alignment. I'm going out to adjust mine now -- wish me luck, but prepare for another disaster story.
    If you have it right it should about a credit card away from the flange! It will wonder back and forth some, like when you back out from a parking spot, but when you go forward some it will settle back!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I set the belt on Peggy's 2013 STS at 0.084" and after a couple hundred miles, it's back to about 0.015" away from the flange. It
    stayed at 0.084" for a couple weeks, but has gradually moved back to nearer the flange. It started out snug up against the flange,
    and I adjusted the tension and the alignment. Worked for a while anyway.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It stopped raining long enough today for me to go out to check the belt alignment. It's about a credit card thickness away from the flange on the rear sprocket. I'm ok with that. The smell might very well be from the cat. The belt is still too tight, though.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help

Spyder Garage

Im confident its the rubber exhaust mounts getting hot. My f150 has the same smell when I run it hard,my past goldwing and so does my wifes rav4.
    The cats get very hot!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Will it eventually go away?

Spyder Garage

I am not sure where the smell is coming from, I did feel the belt and it was cool. I have a krikit but will have to wait until I get home to check it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine went away when the Cat was removed but I have a 14. They do put the cat close to the rear tire area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same smell when I first got my '18 although it didn't last long. I got it w/360 miles. You could be correct, bluewoo, but then why does the smell go away after a few hundred miles?

Spyder Garage

I had the same smell when I first got my '18 although it didn't last long. I got it w/360 miles. You could be correct, bluewoo, but then why does the smell go away after a few hundred miles?
    I thought mine went away after the belt was adjusted on my old 2018, pushed it hard one day and It was smelling like hot rubber.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL w/ 500 miles on it and also have noticed the smell. I looked all over and could not find the source.

New car smell hehe...

Spyder Garage

We still have the "burning rubber" smell with nearly 2k on the OD, though not as bad as it was.

The first couple days of riding there was a burning plastic smell, it was a large label (from manufacturing process?) stuck to the cat, I thought for sure a wiring harness was melting. After that burning plastic smell dissipated, thats when i could really smell the rubber stank.

I've had almost every panel off of both RT's, more than once adding different "stuff", no signs of any damage from excessive heat or rubbing anywhere to be found. I don't think it's the drive belt, it's never been more than warm to the touch after a ride. My vote is exhaust/cat mounting or shielding.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't blame the drivebelt. The rear sprocket rotates with the belt and you can't get enough angle against that little flange to create enpough friction to cause the belt to burn. I had the same smell on my 2020; it went away when I ditched the factory cat for an RLS cat delete pipe and a Flowmaster.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    I wouldn't blame the drivebelt. The rear sprocket rotates with the belt and you can't get enough angle against that little flange to create enpough friction to cause the belt to burn. I had the same smell on my 2020; it went away when I ditched the factory cat for an RLS cat delete pipe and a Flowmaster.
    Just looked at my notes. The burning rubber smell on my 2020 went away at exactly 4737 miles. That's when I pulled the cat and put on an RLS cat delete pipe. 100% the smell was the cat.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot