Spyder Garage

Default Long: BRP Connect & Sygic maps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BDooTV-xcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJfTbsloFag

I admit, BRP Connect is clunky and there’s a big learning curve. I purchased the Sygic maps several months ago for North America as a backup system to hubby’s GPS on his 2 wheels. (I have NOT done the current update for Sygic). This has been a frustrating learning curve but after our ride to the Red Rock Rally in Utah (our 3rd rally at this location), Sygic did work, not perfectly, but it did an admirable job. I'm happy with it.

This is my Lady Spyderlover perspective on Sygic and BRP Connect (not scientific or technical in the least)

Pet Peeves:

Personally I think the screen is too small and gets crowded if you choose to have a lot of information on your screen

I could never get the volume to work, so you have to pay attention to the screen directions. However if you miss a turn, Sygic has tons of visual alerts to tell you to turn around. Sygic will recalculate if you miss a turn (whether on purpose or not) if you don’t turn around.

Some addresses/cities are not found. To get around that, we would only use a City name along the route to get to the area and then my Apple Maps would do the rest

BRP Connect did freeze up when my phone got too hot in the glovebox riding in the Mojave Desert at 109 degrees. A few times Sygic didn’t connect properly and we had to pull over and I had to disconnect the USB plug and restart everything. For heat issues, I reconnected to BRP/Sygic and left the glovebox lid open to get air circulating and it didn’t shut off after that.

What I liked:

Most important to me was visual directions were fairly accurate and generally matched hubby’s GPS. When the directions didn’t match on the GPS vs Sygic, as a test we went with the Sygic and it was correct each time (we were in familiar areas when we tested the directions).

Here’s what I’ve learned about making BRP Connect and Sygic work:

Biggest suggestion is to use BRP Connect/Sygic on your routine rides to get the hang of the programs, and what the Sygic screen looks like/what it does before going on a trip, otherwise your experiences likely will end in frustration.

IMPORTANT: It takes a fair amount of practice to figure out what the BRP Connect button (high beam) switch does different from the joystick (toggle) button. Mastering these 2 buttons is what makes BRP Connect work a lot smoother.

Always enter your first destination in Sygic on the PHONE APP and hit the route button before you start up the Spyder. It’s far easier to enter your first stop in Sygic, than trying to put in the final destination, IF you want to take back roads or alternate routes. I know this seems like a PITA, but IMHO it works the best. Alternately, if you’re not using Sygic, be sure to cancel any previously active routes on the PHONE APP before you hook up to BRP Connect or else it will try to send you back to your old destination.

Next, start the RT up, unlock your phone and open BRP Connect app. Plug in the USB and make sure your phone doesn’t auto lock BEFORE the phone screen goes black and shows the locked phone symbol that means you are connected to BRP on the Spyder. Next (and this took me awhile to figure out) hit the BRP Connect Button (formerly high beam light switch on the back side of left hand grip) to activate BRP Connect on the screen and then use the joystick to toggle over to Sygic and press enter. After confirming Sygic shows the correct destination, it’s time to go!

Keep in mind every time you shut off the Spyder, you have to disconnect your phone from the USB and then go through the (re)connect process otherwise you'll get an error code. Just remember if you have a new destination, enter that location on the Sygic phone app before you connect to BRP.

Overall, Sygic performed well for a modestly priced phone app in comparison with the gazillion dollars spent by Goggle, Apple and Garmin, for their products. As always, we travel with paper maps if all other services fail.

In summary, the best advice is to practice, practice, practice, before you take it on a trip.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Watch your screen. You will see the dialog show up at the bottom indicating something similar to "Announcement". That's Sygic talking to you. WHILE THE PROMPT IS DISPLAYED, increase your volume. There are separate volume settings for music and voice... you have to adjust the voice WHILE IT'S SPEAKING.

That should fix your volume issue.

If you're on Facebook... we have a BRP Connect group... https://www.facebook.com/groups/2125926714370274
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks! I'll look for that on the volume.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the info. I like Sygic, especially its ride planning capability. However the intermittent loss of audio detracts from the navigation function. The volume adjustment you mention also impacts Ford’s in vehicle nav system in that one has to increase the volume using the dial while the navigation voice is speaking.

On the Spyder, any time I use the joystick on the left handlebar to do anything with Sygic menus, the app locks up. How did you adjust the volume while the app (and BRP Connect) are running?

Again many thanks.
    2018 RTL , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have tried for over 2 years to make BRP C work and I liked Sygic over Genius because it's easier to see.

BUT

Now that quite a few apps are not working or dropped as well as Sygic Car Nav is no longer available in app stores, I have given up on it and pair the headset directly to the phone. I use Cardo Packtalk and am learning the voice commands. Not working the best but I have SiriusXM and Sygic and Rever (If I remember to start it). The last two rides I found the screen locked up using both GPS apps (not at the same time) and the volume screen was also locked in announcement mode. Still hears music and announcements.

I emailed BRP Care and they told me to take it to a dealer and they will fix things. How are they going to get the Sygic app back in the app stores??? "Sygic GPS Navigation" is their new app but not working in BRP C. Thinking BRP might be revamping to Apple Car Play?

Missing or not working apps

FOBO ii
    Accuweather
    Rever
    Dash Radio
    Cardo
    Dash Radio
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adakian View Post
    Thank you for the info. I like Sygic, especially its ride planning capability. However the intermittent loss of audio detracts from the navigation function. The volume adjustment you mention also impacts Ford’s in vehicle nav system in that one has to increase the volume using the dial while the navigation voice is speaking.

On the Spyder, any time I use the joystick on the left handlebar to do anything with Sygic menus, the app locks up. How did you adjust the volume while the app (and BRP Connect) are running?

Again many thanks.
    Hi, I couldn’t get the volume to work so I relied on watching the map. I’m going to try Kissfan’s suggestion to see if that works.

Spyder Garage

Flamewinger, I checked my Apple App Store and Sygic GPS Nav (offline and CarPlay)is still available, so not sure about the original Car app availability? I am using the old Car Navigation version on my Spyder. I had heard there were issues with the Sygic update from Squared Away in Utah, so that’s why I have avoided doing it. I haven’t downloaded any other app’s to the RT other than Sygic.

As for Apple Car play (which I have in my car) not sure if BRP is headed that direction because Apple charges big fees on the developers and BRP would have to pay up. Also, Apple Car Play takes up a large screen space and the Spyder screen is pretty small. Be interesting to see what direction BRP goes, if they even change at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    Flamewinger, I checked my Apple App Store and Sygic GPS Nav (offline and CarPlay)is still available, so not sure about the original Car app availability? I am using the old Car Navigation version on my Spyder. I had heard there were issues with the Sygic update from Squared Away in Utah, so that’s why I have avoided doing it. I haven’t downloaded any other app’s to the RT other than Sygic.
    Sygic GPS Nav doesn't work in BRP C. New owners that see the web site and read about BRP C and compatible apps will read that Sygic Car Nav is an app that works. When they go to download it they'll find its not there and download the new Sygic app then find out it doesn't work in their dash. I wonder about support for the Car Nav. Is Sygic going to keep updating it? I talked to BRP Care and they told me to take my Spyder to a dealer and they can fix things. Haven't yet and doubt they'll ever figure it out.

Also Rever, Accuweather, FOBO ii along with a few other app are not working or missing or not yet available.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2018 F3-Limited. I live in Sunnyvale, CA and the only one I could find was in Henderson Nevada. It took a week but I arranged it and flew out to pick up the bike. I asked the sales guy 3 times if all the updates to the dash had been done and he said yes. Of coarse it wasn't done and because of the GPS not functioning right I spent 14 hours getting back home. Upon further research into the dash, mine is at 10.3 and it should be at 20.8, it needs to have a firmware update. It is suppose to fix most of the problems but we will have to see. I go in Tuesday to get it done so I'll report back if it fixes anything.

Spyder Garage

So I am a bit of a techie and I have given up on BRP C. Our new to us 2018 RTL(had 10.3 and was upgraded to 20.8) has a GPS mount and the Garmin that came with it had the screen extremely weathered and screwed up. So it now has a Garmin 2557 LMT that I had. However the screen is not that readable in the direct sun light. So I have been working to get Google maps working. The new 2020 Ford Edge ST we bought this summer did not have Nav so I was using Google maps in it, which comes up on the car center stack. I plan routes on the computer and send them to the smart phone.

So for the Spyder I worked out a cell phone mount and I am working through the issues of getting the turn by turn directions to play with the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 head sets. It worked fine with me on it by myself, however when the intercom was up and running no turn by turn directions. This afternoon after our 80 mile loop ride this morning I think I stumbled onto the issue.

The priorities list is the following order in the Q3 head sets:

1. Mobile Phone audio or GPS instructions
    2. Intercom / Click-to-Link
    3 A2DP (Stereo Bluetooth) audio
    4. FM Radio (Built-in)
    5. Aux (for corded connection i.e. Music Players)

I am sending the turn by turn to the trike via Blue tooth, and then to the head sets via music setting. So I changed the priorities in the Q3 to put the A2DP audio ahead of the intercom. I will know tomorrow after a short test ride if that fixed the issue.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    I asked the sales guy 3 times if all the updates to the dash had been done and he said yes.
    I'm sure you've heard the old saw. "How do you know if a salesman is lying?" "See if his lips are moving!"

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are a few new apps available. I found Sygic GPS Nav does work (didn’t before). Need to play with it to get used to how they work. There is also Dash Radio, and a navigation app for snowmobiles.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

If you paid all the fees for Sygic connect can you upgrade to the Sygic gps without repaying the fees , or do you have to pay again the ONE TIME fee

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbear View Post
    If you paid all the fees for Sygic connect can you upgrade to the Sygic gps without repaying the fees , or do you have to pay again the ONE TIME fee
    Check their website. To upgrade from version to another, like from car to truck, you'll have to pay an upgrade fee. But once you pay for a lifetime license you will get map updates forever at no fee.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I emailed them and got no reply. The new Sygic GPS is not as expensive and if bought on sale it’s less than $50 total.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BDooTV-xcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJfTbsloFag

I admit, BRP Connect is clunky and there’s a big learning curve. I purchased the Sygic maps several months ago for North America as a backup system to hubby’s GPS on his 2 wheels. (I have NOT done the current update for Sygic). This has been a frustrating learning curve but after our ride to the Red Rock Rally in Utah (our 3rd rally at this location), Sygic did work, not perfectly, but it did an admirable job. I'm happy with it.

This is my Lady Spyderlover perspective on Sygic and BRP Connect (not scientific or technical in the least)

Pet Peeves:

Personally I think the screen is too small and gets crowded if you choose to have a lot of information on your screen

I could never get the volume to work, so you have to pay attention to the screen directions. However if you miss a turn, Sygic has tons of visual alerts to tell you to turn around. Sygic will recalculate if you miss a turn (whether on purpose or not) if you don’t turn around.

Some addresses/cities are not found. To get around that, we would only use a City name along the route to get to the area and then my Apple Maps would do the rest

BRP Connect did freeze up when my phone got too hot in the glovebox riding in the Mojave Desert at 109 degrees. A few times Sygic didn’t connect properly and we had to pull over and I had to disconnect the USB plug and restart everything. For heat issues, I reconnected to BRP/Sygic and left the glovebox lid open to get air circulating and it didn’t shut off after that.

What I liked:

Most important to me was visual directions were fairly accurate and generally matched hubby’s GPS. When the directions didn’t match on the GPS vs Sygic, as a test we went with the Sygic and it was correct each time (we were in familiar areas when we tested the directions).

Here’s what I’ve learned about making BRP Connect and Sygic work:

Biggest suggestion is to use BRP Connect/Sygic on your routine rides to get the hang of the programs, and what the Sygic screen looks like/what it does before going on a trip, otherwise your experiences likely will end in frustration.

IMPORTANT: It takes a fair amount of practice to figure out what the BRP Connect button (high beam) switch does different from the joystick (toggle) button. Mastering these 2 buttons is what makes BRP Connect work a lot smoother.

Always enter your first destination in Sygic on the PHONE APP and hit the route button before you start up the Spyder. It’s far easier to enter your first stop in Sygic, than trying to put in the final destination, IF you want to take back roads or alternate routes. I know this seems like a PITA, but IMHO it works the best. Alternately, if you’re not using Sygic, be sure to cancel any previously active routes on the PHONE APP before you hook up to BRP Connect or else it will try to send you back to your old destination.

Next, start the RT up, unlock your phone and open BRP Connect app. Plug in the USB and make sure your phone doesn’t auto lock BEFORE the phone screen goes black and shows the locked phone symbol that means you are connected to BRP on the Spyder. Next (and this took me awhile to figure out) hit the BRP Connect Button (formerly high beam light switch on the back side of left hand grip) to activate BRP Connect on the screen and then use the joystick to toggle over to Sygic and press enter. After confirming Sygic shows the correct destination, it’s time to go!

Keep in mind every time you shut off the Spyder, you have to disconnect your phone from the USB and then go through the (re)connect process otherwise you'll get an error code. Just remember if you have a new destination, enter that location on the Sygic phone app before you connect to BRP.

Overall, Sygic performed well for a modestly priced phone app in comparison with the gazillion dollars spent by Goggle, Apple and Garmin, for their products. As always, we travel with paper maps if all other services fail.

In summary, the best advice is to practice, practice, practice, before you take it on a trip.
    Foreget BRP Connect it sucked from very beginning when you run out of cell phone service your out of directions and on your own... go with 99 % of everyone else to Garmin GPS
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    Foreget BRP Connect it sucked from very beginning when you run out of cell phone service your out of directions and on your own... go with 99 % of everyone else to Garmin GPS
    Sygic is standalone, isn't it? No cell service needed while traveling. At least the one I have on my tablet and phone is, but it's not a Connect version.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Well, I have to also give up on turn by turn directions in the helmets when the intercom is up and running. Drats!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new apps in BRP Connect actually work pretty good as of a month ago. FOBO ii, Dash Radio and the new Sygic GPS which is way better than the old version they had. Since snowmobiles and sea doos will also have the same dash they will be using BRP Connect as well. There is already a navigations app for both. Wavve and BRP Go.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red