Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RSS SE5 Battery Replacement Help?

Decided to replace the battery because of it age- original to the Spyder. Would like to know if other brands of batteries are acceptable as replace ments to the YUASA original one. How about an HGM Adventure Power brand. Will it be fine/ OK or cause any problem?? Thank you. John

Spyder Garage

Another ?/Concern. This AGM Adventure Power battery needs to have the acid added by me if I purchase it. Since the battery gets installed on its side, is there a possibility of it leaking? Thanks. John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not likely, I've installed several of the AGM batteries where you have to add the acid, and it's never been a problem. My Interceptor battery
    is tilted, and Peggy's scooter battery actually lies on it's side. Neither have ever shown any sign of leakage.

FWIW I usually replace my batteries with one's from WallyWorld, I'm way too cheap to pay for a Yuasa when there seems to be little merit. I
    get about as many years out of a WallyWorld battery as a Yuasa at about half the price. But that's me, and YMMV.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I like the Duracell from batteries plus. Cheap, works great, available everywhere!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cheap replacement from Walmart is working fine.
    I have it on battery tender now because I only ride once a week on short ride but even before it wasn’t on it, never failed after 10-15 days without a ride.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

The only issue with a bottle filled AGM battery is proper prep. First charge needs to be done with the battery in the upright position before installing the caps. Need to get the air bubbles out of the glass mat. This should be in the instructions that come with the battery. Follow them.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
    Peggy and Howard

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The only issue with a bottle filled AGM battery is proper prep. First charge needs to be done with the battery in the upright position before installing the caps. Need to get the air bubbles out of the glass mat. This should be in the instructions that come with the battery. Follow them.
    Not according to Yuasa. Put the cap strip on after the electrolyte container is empty. Then let it rest for the acid to be absorbed, then charge. https://www.yuasabatteries.com/resou...n-agm-battery/

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, that too. ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

I'll be going with a Deka when the time comes. They are extremely resistant to heat and vibration, which is why Harley uses them, and it is not uncommon for them to load test above their rated CCA. My bikes stay in an unheated garage and see temperatures between -35 F and 115 F, and the Dekas I've used have held up better than any other brand.