Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carsong View Post
    What air pressure did you go by??? 28 psi?
    I ran mine at 24 psi for quite a while. Just upped it to 28 recently.
    Yes, 28 psi on the rear and 15 psi on the front tires. The fronts look just as good as the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Yeah, my front tires look like new! I'm a real stickler about tire pressure, and check it constantly. I suppose all the time running the rear at 24 psi was bad for it. I don't even really ride that aggressively. Plus, living in Florida, all roads in my area are straight and flat.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    That's how mine wore and the dealer told me it was because I had the tire pressure at 29 PSI it was over inflated and caused the premature wear in the middle. He told me if I had the tire at 26 PSI I would have gotten more milage out of it. I don't believe my issue was pressure related, the tires do not seem to wear well.
    You could run 15 lbs in the rear tire and you'd still get this wear pattern. The dealer should (and probably does) know this. Some dealerships just can't tell the truth. It's some kind of genetic defect I think.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw58 View Post
    I must be doing something wrong lol. This is my rear tire at the current mileage of 16,000. I have run the recommended pressure since new and check it before most of my trips. I travel a lot for my job, and I ride my Spyder most of the time (read lots of interstate riding). I am aware that it needs to be changed, and will be doing so this winter.
    That is simply incredible!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree. I think most of the time the engineers DO know best. Unfortunately, it's the bean counters who override the engineers and install cheaper (both cost and quality) parts.
    I totally disagree with you. I have seen too many things ill designed regardless of the beaners assessment that I often say, "Where do they find these idiots?" I think that if engineers were forced to use the $*%t they design for 10 hours a day for just a week, they would design better $*%t. I redesign nearly everything I own to make them easier or better suited to use. Case in point: the grill I bought. If they would have added just 1/8" of lip onto the hood, the grill would not suck rain into it's guts and die a sad early death. Cost difference? Nothing. Think reverse curve gutter guards. That's only one example.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw58 View Post
    I must be doing something wrong lol. This is my rear tire at the current mileage of 16,000. I have run the recommended pressure since new and check it before most of my trips. I travel a lot for my job, and I ride my Spyder most of the time (read lots of interstate riding). I am aware that it needs to be changed, and will be doing so this winter.
    Same here. I've got 11K on my OEM rear Kenda and it's not quite down to the wear bars yet. I run 28-29 psi, check it often, always ride solo and drive rather easy. Slightly more wear in the center than outside edges but a lot of mileage left in it for sure.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I think the rear tire was overinflated. I agree 26 Lbs. would have prevented this wearing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    I totally disagree with you. I have seen too many things ill designed regardless of the beaners assessment that I often say, "Where do they find these idiots?" I think that if engineers were forced to use the $*%t they design for 10 hours a day for just a week, they would design better $*%t. I redesign nearly everything I own to make them easier or better suited to use. Case in point: the grill I bought. If they would have added just 1/8" of lip onto the hood, the grill would not suck rain into it's guts and die a sad early death. Cost difference? Nothing. Think reverse curve gutter guards. That's only one example.
    Yeah, but if they made it so it last twice as long, you wouldn't be back to buy another one near as soon.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I was serious, I have been on this Forum since 2012..... and your tire is very unusual from all the other Kenda REAR tires I have seen. ..... Mike
    Doesn't that just prove a number of comments I have seen about Kenda quality control. If you are very lucky you might get a good one, otherwise you are with the rest of us.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree. I think most of the time the engineers DO know best. Unfortunately, it's the bean counters who override the engineers and install cheaper (both cost and quality) parts.
    True. But the average customer tends to think that engineers have the last say. Which, of course, is far from the truth. This is where the 'Engineers know best' mindset comes from. Technically, it's true. Realistically, it doesn't always make it to the retail product.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Doesn't that just prove a number of comments I have seen about Kenda quality control. If you are very lucky you might get a good one, otherwise you are with the rest of us.
    I don't think tire wear is a function of quality control. There are only 2 plies in the tread area. This is simply not enough strength to keep the tire symmetrical at freeway speeds. I am not sure where this ballooning begins to be significant. But I would guess that if you put most of your miles on at or below 50 mph, you might get a better wear pattern. But if you do a fair amount of 50+ mph. And especially 70 mph or higher. You're going to get this typical center wear pattern no matter what pressure you run in the tires.

Here is a good way to check. On a nice, flat piece of concrete. Run the tire through a wet spot and then out onto the dry. You'll see what kind of contact patch you have at 0 mph. If you are over-inflated. It will show up right there.

The chart below assumes the tread belts are adequate to resist centrifugal force at any speed the tire is rated for. Which is not the case with the Kenda's.

Spyder Garage

Yep, I got 10k out of each of my first two. Put on a Kumho on this time hope to get 20k.
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    That's how mine wore and the dealer told me it was because I had the tire pressure at 29 PSI it was over inflated and caused the premature wear in the middle. He told me if I had the tire at 26 PSI I would have gotten more milage out of it. I don't believe my issue was pressure related, the tires do not seem to wear well.
    Owners manual recommends29 psi in the rear.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    True. But the average customer tends to think that engineers have the last say. Which, of course, is far from the truth. This is where the 'Engineers know best' mindset comes from. Technically, it's true. Realistically, it doesn't always make it to the retail product.
    Well, you give the beaners too much credit. Case in point : you would agree that the Spyder is more likely to be owned by someone over fifty. The F3 (at least in '17) had acres of digital screen banked by an analog tack and analog speedo. Then they make the time and temp font (among others) in 10 point Helvetica which is impossible for the age bracket to see - too far away for bifocals and too small for regular lenses. Plus they waste acres of space on the rest of the display. Don't know if they have improved on it 'cuz I haven't seen the later versions. Complete engineer failure. How about the standard fridge? Freezer, which you rarely get into up top, & the rest of the fridge that you likely get into frequently on the bottom. Unless you're only 4 feet tall, you gotta bend over to see what you have in there and there is a good chance you'll bump your head on the freezer door!
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Speaking of rear tire on the back of the 2020 RT, does anyone have any good suggestions for an easier way to check pressure on this tire? It is extremely hard to reach and check/fill with air when needed!
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenpup View Post
    Speaking of rear tire on the back of the 2020 RT, does anyone have any good suggestions for an easier way to check pressure on this tire? It is extremely hard to reach and check/fill with air when needed!
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    After I got my first Spyder (09) I fixed that situation by adding a Metal 85 degree valve stem to the Disc side of the wheel ...... At my first rear tire change ( I went to an Auto tire ) ... I bought the valve ( Kurvey Gurl ) and drilled the correct size hole almost in the middle of the wheel ( for clearance for the tire changing machine ) .... makes pressure checking waaaaay easier .... Mike ......just checked and She is still selling them @ two for 11.00 , they are " Enkei" brand and are steel ( not aluminum )

Spyder Garage

that's how they do worthless I didn't change the fronts yet because they are still like new but wont go back to the factory tire.
    2014 STS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

it is still worn in the center much more than the edge but that is some really impressive mileage it is also probably the new Kenda Kanine most of the ones I see mine included was 2014
    2014 STS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Absolutely 100% normal for the OEM tires. It would be a miracle if you got any other wear pattern. When you are at speed, the tire balloons out and you've got only 2-3 inches of tread contact with the road surface. The 225/50/15 tire is nearly 9" wide. So, you're getting maybe 30% of the tread in contact with the road at freeway speeds. Think about this when someone tells you that 'The engineers know best'.
    I smile every time someone states that, they have to work within set guidelines that's not always best for the rider or the machine. Cooperate cost cutting and emissions.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

I get the need for "Real Tires," but as yet in reading tire threads found what they are. By Brand and size. I would respectfully ask what you run as I am almost to the end of my stock Kenda rear for the second time in less than 2 years, and looking to get better fronts. I have about 2 weeks before my appointment to make these weighty decisions and look to those who are in the know for help.
    I'm also guessing that knowing what I ride is important 2010 RS
    Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phobius View Post
    I get the need for "Real Tires," but as yet in reading tire threads found what they are. By Brand and size. I would respectfully ask what you run as I am almost to the end of my stock Kenda rear for the second time in less than 2 years, and looking to get better fronts. I have about 2 weeks before my appointment to make these weighty decisions and look to those who are in the know for help.
    I'm also guessing that knowing what I ride is important 2010 RS
    Thanks in advance.
    For your 2010 RS, the recommended tire is the Bridgestone Potenza 165/65R14 on the front. Rear we recommend the Yokohama Advan Fleeva 205/55R15

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Wearing out in the centre can be a problem with too high a pressure. The back tyre warms then spins up rather like a dragster when moving (much, much smaller scale of course). Had same issue as do a few friends. Just try with a lower pressure with the Kenda but normal with a car tyre.
    ɹəpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ oʞɔıp

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hell I only got 5700 miles on my stock rear tire. Feel lucky you got 8K on yours.

16K miles maybe a new record on the Kendas..

Spyder Garage

If you never ride above 45mph they can last a long time. Its more a testimony to the slow pace of the owner than the longevity of the tire.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame