Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Just wanted to share my thoughts with you Spyder folks...

Dreaming of a time in the future when cosmetic changes are a focus I wanted a theme for the bike.
    Had tossed around ideas of a fire spyder or something along that line but spider graphics on these machines has been done to say it lightly.

Both myself and my wife are fans of the flat/semi-gloss black and "gunmetal" gray type of finishes and were searching for a fitting name and theme along that line so...

Her name is Alannah (Black Velvet if you please...)

I know I'm a dork (not telling me anything new lol) but I love the idea because she is such a great artist. Originally from Canada too so that also fits. The Black Velvet theme will be carried across the bike. Matte dark-colored finishes with texture.

Thank you for reading!

Edit: Most recent video I can find of Alannah but she was still rocking! Wish her the best!

Spyder Garage

Hey Spyder folks,
    Looking at engine parts and hoping for a more reasonably priced source.
    CheapCycleParts (CCP) is currently where I will be buying my OEM stuff. Need (at minimum) a gasket set (420685480 - $250) and piston ring set x2 (420295858 - $67)($134)

The gasket set will include cylinder, head and rocker cover gaskets along with valve seals and any other O-ring type seals that I would potently need to replace.

So we're looking at ~$350 in OEM parts plus the machine shop work which will likely be around $200 (blessed at that price) so a total for the engine rebuild of ~$600

That would make it essentially new in the top after a valve adjustment and would potentially do many miles without an engine problem.

Can anyone recommend a source of OEM piston ring sets and/or gasket kits better than CCP?

Thank you for reading and for any feedback!

Capture.jpg

Spyder Garage

Spyderfolks!
    First new (to me) part for this machine has arrived.

Main wiring harness purchased from eBay for an amazingly reasonable $182 USD shipped. This may have been one of the only parts on eBay (at the time) with any competition. There were two other listings when I bought this.
    This unit does include the "Frame Harness A&B" part numbers (Replaced by 710001652) along with the "Engine Wiring Harness Assembly" (420266330)

The first part number is $1200 USD and the second is not available. The harness also has the "Yaw Rate/Angle Sensor"(710002051) attached which lists new at $739 USD

Between this and the package coming... I am feeling very blessed with Spyder parts!

Thank you for looking!

Capture.PNG

20201022_151021.jpg 20201022_150941.jpg 20201022_151048_HDR~2.jpg

Spyder Garage

... and the biggest blessing of a box I have opened in recent past!

Thank you again for the amazing parts at a reasonable price!

Receiving the dash and BUDS system was an "over-the-hump" moment on this project for me.
    Because I have no money earmarked for this at the moment... I will just be working on what I can.

Next thing on the agenda is frame restoration and rust removal on the frame.
    Most likely going to wire brush anything accessible and use "prep and etch" on the inside.
    Prep and Etch is another phosphoric acid based cleaner like Naval Jelly.
    A Home Depot purchase I believe. Way more aggressive and definitely capable of causing damage to metal pretty quickly unlike Loctite's product.

I spray it on any affected areas, let sit for a few minutes and then aggressively remove the product to prevent further damage.
    After all has been washed off I thoroughly dry the frame and immediately either paint or spray with anti-corrosion liquid (WD-40 is best for that application IME)

Still looking for a source of OEM parts for less money than cheapcycleparts

Any questions, thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

20201023_142219.jpg 20201023_142309.jpg 20201023_142241.jpg 20201023_142321.jpg

Spyder Garage

Since the engine was originally used in the Aprilia line up, have you expanded your search parameters? I don't know about UTV's or any other usage. Just a thought.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Since the engine was originally used in the Aprilia line up, have you expanded your search parameters? I don't know about UTV's or any other usage. Just a thought.
    Very interesting. Thank you!
    Ideally there will be part numbers compatible with this engine for a cheaper price. I will look into it

Through luck and a stranger's kindness I have another batch of Spyder parts. Thanks again!

20201029_232507.jpg

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Worth checking out, but....... I was on the Rotax website awhile back and it seems to me the Spyder engine has been produced exclusively for the Spyder. But BRP part #'s cover all their products so you if you are looking for a part with multiple uses you might find it available as a UTV part, etc.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? ;-)

This is an amazing project you have undertook... I suspect it will work out really well for you in time, and your 1st ride on this baby will be one for the books! Keep posting your progress, and keep watching Ebay there's a world of stuff for sale on there every day!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Quick one for ya Spyderfolks

This is the top of the frame after surface prep and after the first coat(s) of primer.
    Much more surface prep to come on the rest of the frame. Anything exposed to fire

Thank you for looking!

20201104_165906.jpg 20201104_171810.jpg

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, first step of return to normal......... the base........ the foundation.......... the part that everything gets hung off of. Great project!
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Last reported mileage from title report...

So the engine has ~25k miles on it. That checks out.
    The valves and cylinder being resurfaced with new rings will put the top end back to like-new again.
    I am wondering what mileage to set on the new dash. It will show zero but am considering adding ~25k for realism.
    My understanding is (with the software and license that I have) the mileage can be anything.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oh400ex View Post
    Last reported mileage from title report...

So the engine has ~25k miles on it. That checks out.
    The valves and cylinder being resurfaced with new rings will put the top end back to like-new again.
    I am wondering what mileage to set on the new dash. It will show zero but am considering adding ~25k for realism.
    My understanding is (with the software and license that I have) the mileage can be anything.
    Put whatever mileage you're comfortable with but the title will have to be marked EXEMPT in the odometer reading box. Any future sale document will have to note actual mileage not known.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Wow you have come a long way in a little over a month. I have enjoyed your journey very much. Thank you for sharing.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Put whatever mileage you're comfortable with but the title will have to be marked EXEMPT in the odometer reading box. Any future sale document will have to note actual mileage not known.
    If it comes back to life and needs it's title that won't matter. I am in contact with the PO, DMV etc. The title will be transferred as non-salvage.
    There was never a payout on this machine and it has not been totaled. (Clean title)

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Wow you have come a long way in a little over a month. I have enjoyed your journey very much. Thank you for sharing.
    Welcome! Thank you for looking and for your comment!
    This project is simmering on the back-burner at best or would be moving much faster