Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2008 Spyder GS (SM5) | Fire Damage

Hello everyone!

2008 Spyder SM5 that caught fire.
    Was told that it was an electrical fire starting in the dash but completely unknown history.

Likely never going to ride again and is destined for parting-out.

Wanted to see what you all thought about it. Any opinions or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you for looking!

20201007_105329.thumb.jpg.687a6a70fb81efd25c7a4eac76eeb49c.jpg 20201007_105353.thumb.jpg.94c1e7efb796d556adce535aeeb4ec1f.jpg
    20201007_105343.thumb.jpg.164404e0dc727ad02c8863a11e7f5077.jpg 20201007_105405.thumb.jpg.5a470a215d1d4158fa1373cbd5a0e598.jpg
    Last edited by oh400ex; 10-12-2020 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Photos and model

Spyder Garage

Junk!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

well, there is a member here who was recently told he needed a total engine rebuild. Here's a possible donor.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    well, there is a member here who was recently told he needed a total engine rebuild. Here's a possible donor.
    The OP does not say if it is a SM or SE model. Also this engine is a 990 series not a 991 series like in the other thread you mentioned. That would make it more complicated again.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Junk!
    Aww. Guess I was hoping for a "saved it from the junkyard" sort of deal but you are right. Poor thing...

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Unknown engine miles and condition.
    A number of things could have happened but if the story was true and it caught fire that means it was running when that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The OP does not say if it is a SM or SE model. Also this engine is a 990 series not a 991 series like in the other thread you mentioned. That would make it more complicated again.
    I honestly don't know how to tell or the difference between. No idea what an engine swap would entail on one of these.

Please feel free to post any information in this thread... it is greatly appreciated!

All I know is that it's an 08 Spyder GS (Trim RS) V2 Engine 990cc
    If it isn't burned off tell me where to look and I'll check it out

I would love to see this thing on the road again!

Spyder Garage

If it had a clutch lever left handlebar before the fire and it has a gear shift lever in front of the left foot peg. Then it is a manual SM5. If it does not have either one of this things. Then it is a semi-automatic SE5.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If it had a clutch lever left handlebar before the fire and it has a gear shift lever in front of the left foot peg. Then it is a manual SM5. If it does not have either one of this things. Then it is a semi-automatic SE5.
    This model has its shifter in front of the left foot peg.

SM5

Spyder Garage

@jaybros @kx5062 @billybovine

Here are some pictures after some parts removed and a bath.

Curious if this changes your perspective Jay? No hate either way!
    I am very interested in your opinions Spyder owners!

Thank you for looking!

20201010_132941.jpg 20201010_133049.jpg
    20201010_132950.jpg 20201010_133021.jpg

Spyder Garage

These two show the parts that were damaged by fire and the ones that were not.

Thank you for looking!

20201010_133129.jpg 20201010_133141.jpg

Spyder Garage

I never said it would be easy. I just suggested it could be a source of a donor motor for another member in need.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It sure looks to me like you have quite a bit of salvageable stuff there. The real question is how much of a market is there for them. You might try eBay and see what happens. I'd be inclined to try first to sell it as a whole package. Let someone else finish disassembling it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Fire and heat can turn everything very Brittle and cause damage that may not be readily apparent.
    Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    It sure looks to me like you have quite a bit of salvageable stuff there. The real question is how much of a market is there for them. You might try eBay and see what happens. I'd be inclined to try first to sell it as a whole package. Let someone else finish disassembling it!
    I am going to put it on the road and ride it assuming everything just goes sunshine and fairytales. Never knowing the mileage is really going to bother me...
    Assuming I put a new dash on it it will show 0 miles. Grain of salt but PO said it one owner, under 10K miles and was basically never ridden. Will definitely sell it as a whole if someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman 2012 View Post
    Fire and heat can turn everything very Brittle and cause damage that may not be readily apparent.
    Sam
    Oh yes. This would not be my first fire recovery unfortunately. First BRP or Spyder though.
    I consider everything that was rubber or plastic compromised along with the rocker cover gaskets and one of the fuel injectors at least.

It appears that anything below a certain level didn't get hot at all unless plastic dripped onto the area.
    The bike is from your neck of the woods originally.

Thank you for your comments!
    Suggestions and thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WoW - what a challenging project you have on your hands.

You might search forum here and internet - I think (and only think don't know) that there was an issue with some 08's that leaked gas/smelled fumes. Been to long - my old fart brain isn't sure. Maybe related to smelling of gas and an evaporator can or something and there was a work around that many owner's did.

I don't know - maybe some other's here recall.

I would speculate that parting out (if market for same) would bring more $, than restoration. If your plan is $ motivated versus a hobby type project.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    WoW - what a challenging project you have on your hands.

You might search forum here and internet - I think (and only think don't know) that there was an issue with some 08's that leaked gas/smelled fumes. Been to long - my old fart brain isn't sure. Maybe related to smelling of gas and an evaporator can or something and there was a work around that many owner's did.

I don't know - maybe some other's here recall.

I would speculate that parting out (if market for same) would bring more $, than restoration. If your plan is $ motivated versus a hobby type project.
    Thank you for the reply!

I think you are right that parting it out would make the most money but I never really picked it up to make money on. It was either getting sold or destined for the junkyard and I saw enough left that it made me sad thinking it might get crushed so I bought it. Blame Ryan F9...

You are completely right about the 08 having recalls. Several. Nothing serious either. Fire... fire... crash!
    Relating to fuel there are two separate issued recalls. The PO might have never even known...
    This fire allegedly started in the dash but in reality I will never know.

From my initial readings... I would think the evap cannister was saturated and fumes were potentially leaking all over the bike. That would seem like the most likely source of fuel for a fire on this machine. Haven't found a thread or mention yet of another Spyder catching on the dash.

Would need a canister bypass if I keep it. Canister-ectomy is the SL term I think

December 12, 2012 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 12V581000
    Fuel Canister Vent Hose may Leak Vapors
    Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire and personal injury.

December 12, 2012 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 12V582000
    Fuel Tank Cap may not Seal Properly
    If the fuel cap does not seal properly, it may leak fuel vapors. Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire and personal injury.

December 12, 2007 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 07V561000
    BRAKE PEDAL
    A DRIVER MAY BE UNABLE TO STOP THE VEHICLE AS EXPECTED INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Last edited by oh400ex; 10-12-2020 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Formatting

Spyder Garage

OK, things make more sense now. It wasn't clear at the start of the thread you had bought this as a salvage project and not your own machine burning up. Obviously you have more experience with Spyders than I first understood you to have. How about a bit of your history w/ Spyders?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Obviously you have more experience with Spyders than I first understood you to have. How about a bit of your history w/ Spyders?
    Literally none. "Whoa pretty..." from a distance until this popped up. Great long-lasting forum here with tons of information... just going off of what I have read in the past few days. I have restored many different machines over the years but the closest to this would be an Arctic Cat. Done a few different JP machines with a focus on Honda ATVs. I am not afraid to wrench, paint, weld or whatever I can do to bring the machine back to life. That being said it is a money pit type of project for me (or anyone) so I'm open to the idea of selling it. If someone needed a parts machine this may be an excellent candidate. Might not get the chance if I am riding it though lol

Spyder Garage

Good luck, and have fun!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Here are a few more shots...

The exhaust after cleaning, the "burnt" pile and some plastics being refinished.
    On this plastic I grind off the old burnt stuff, prep surface, adhesion promoter, plastic bondo, sand, primer and paint.

Just getting started with that process and may not make it that far with this project.

Thank for for looking!

20201012_095807.jpg 20201012_095607.jpg 20201012_095751.jpg

Spyder Garage

A suggestion: if you find it worth progressing through with a rebuild you will have to rely on a dealership for up to date part numbers. If you go to this link, https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...ts-iframe.html, and drill down to the 2008 GS you will find all the parts lists. Many of the parts are listed as not available. That's because BRP does not update its online parts lists when they change part numbers. So, it's a good idea to have Cheap Cycle Parts, https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...-5-speed-parts, bookmarked on your computer as they keep the up tp date part numbers.

There are two black boxes, the Calibration Module, PN705600626, and the Engine Control Module, PN420266764, that you will have to have the BRP's B.U.D.S., software to diagnose if they were damaged in the fire or have a dealership check them out. I note too that neither BRP nor Cheap Cycle Parts list the Engine Wiring Harness Ass'y as available. That may mean an Ebay/junkyard search.

Good luck!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

There are two black boxes, the Calibration Module, PN705600626, and the Engine Control Module, PN420266764, that you will have to have the BRP's B.U.D.S., software to diagnose if they were damaged in the fire or have a dealership check them out. I note too that neither BRP nor Cheap Cycle Parts list the Engine Wiring Harness Ass'y as available. That may mean an Ebay/junkyard search.

Good luck!
    Heart absolutely hit the floor when I saw the calibration module mentioned. I was aware of this part existing but had no idea that it was ~$900 plus a dealer visit to even touch!

Fingers and toes crossed for me but it may be OK. To my knowledge, the CM 705600626 is located on the bottom of the machine and suffered no damage. ECM 420266764 is also in good shape cosmetically but was closer to actual fire damage than is comfortable for a part this expensive and tied to a dealer visit.

Engine Wiring Harness assembly is something I could use a bit of help with.
    The third picture shows what I believe to be the part you are mentioning. Hopefully, between what can be seen and the wiring harness below...
    I will have most (if not everything) required to restore the main components of the electrical system. Need a dash...

Thank you very much for the helpful info!
    Keep it coming Spyder owners!

20201012_162835.jpg 20201012_163043.jpg
    20201012_162910.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Spyder Garage

I saw this one on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-12-Can-a...d6e0%7Ciid%3A1, that looks a good bit like your picture, but, unlike the BRP parts picture of the engine wiring harness it looks like both yours and the ebay one are of the complete vehicle wiring harness but I flat don't know.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Another thing to consider is the price of a good used like machine. I would not be the least bit surprised if you could buy a good condition used machine for somewhat less than the rebuild cost of this one.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I saw this one on ebay that looks a good bit like your picture, but, unlike the BRP parts picture of the engine wiring harness it looks like both yours and the ebay one are of the complete vehicle wiring harness but I flat don't know.
    Me either but we are going to find out!

Another thing to consider is the price of a good used like machine. I would not be the least bit surprised if you could buy a good condition used machine for somewhat less than the rebuild cost of this one.
    This is on the forefront of my mind.

A used 08-09 in alright condition is ~5-8k in my area.
    I am not the type of person who can dump thousands into a machine regularly which is why I ride Honda

If this project gets cost prohibitive it will be destined for parting out at least instead of scrapyard.

Most people are not comfortable fabricating their own body panels, seat, pillion handles etc but I certainly am. Would not consider buying a single piece at +$100 USD per panel when I can ride without or fabricate something myself. Same with the fender that was burnt... that is no biggie for me to repair to like new condition. There is no rush on this project lol

If I am missing something obvious that will cost a lot please spare me and let me know what to look out for!

Thank you for the responses!

Spyder Garage

If anyone could point me in the direction of some information on bypasses it would be greatly appreciated.

Evap canister I think I have a handle on but electronically very far away from where I need to be.
    My understanding is that there will be several sensors or switches that have burned off of this machine.
    I intend to bypass as many of these as possible.

My main goal being to start the engine and see how it sounds before proceeding any further.
    No dash and ignition seem to be my biggest obstacles at this time. I would gladly use a different key and ignition module fit to this machine if possible. I would not need the seat pop feature of the ignition for example if building a custom seat and definitely not to start it. I do not know if the dash is even required to start the bike. Hard to find answers to questions like that in the service manual

Thank you for reading!