Spyder Garage

Lightbulb 2018 fog lights seem to be different?

Howdy, new to the group, 1st post. Just picked up a 2018 RT and noticed that though it seems like both fog lights are working and I can see good, they are different. Passenger side seems the same color rating as the normal driving lights yet the drivers side seems to be of a different color rating or not working 100%? Are they suppose to be different colors? Would it be easy to change them out so they match (pull what parts off to get to them). Drove with them for 100 miles hoping it would warm up or whatever but stayed the same the whole ride.
    Thanks and enjoy the site and learning as I go along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I would say ether your light may have backed out of it's locked position in the socket or you have a different bulb in the light! Time to get dirty!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you purchased your Spyder new, take it back to the dealer. If you purchased it used, it could be the previous owner installed new fog lights and perhaps as Mikey said, one has backed out or something. Could be the previous owner started to swap out to LED foglights but stopped leading me to my next point. While I've never attempted to change out the foglights on my 2018 RTL, I have yet to hear anyone say it was an easy job. Everyone I've heard has said it's a bi*** of a job, especially the left side (while sitting on the bike) as there's an air duct that gets in the way of access to the foglight assembly.

You basically have (3) choices, sir. 1) You live with it as is. 2) If you have a lot of patience, are good with tools and have small hands, buy an LED foglight kit from LaMonster and swap them out. 3) Take it to your local shop and have them swap out the foglights.

Oh, and congrats on your new ryde!

Spyder Garage

Yup,I agree. Either bulb has come loose or previous owner changed to LED's but gave up on left side.Look in all your storage to see if they left a new bulb? Point it out to seller(dealer?)and see if they will handle it? I changed out my 18's lights and that side was a beast.Not undoable but lots of scuffs on hand and lots of gentle prying stuff out of the way!

Spyder Garage

Doubt it is a bulb that backed out, as the color proabably would not have changed. The left (sitting on the bike) looks like a halogen bulb, which is what the bike came with. The others look like LEDs.

Monk has it right, somebody probably put LEDs is, and gave up on the left side because it is by FAR the toughest one. an air duct gets right in the way. It can be done though, and is just some work....it is not technically difficult. You do have to weave your arms up into the gap, and I came away with some cuts. If you have a kid with smaller arms, that would help.

If you do change to LED in that one, you will need to find out what bulb that used for the other 3. Different LEDs have different temperatures or colors (as do Halogens, reason for color difference), so if you randomly pick one the color could be off again.

Good luck, not a terrible job and there are videos on line. Bright side, gives you a chance to practice pulling panels!
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Great. I did buy used about 2 weeks ago and just noticed it. Glad to hear that they do not come with LED it the passenger side did look like an LED. I just watched the video about changing to LED's and they started on the passenger side as it looked easy. They on the left side, they didn't remove nearly as much panels and it did look like a pan to get their hand in there to disconnect everything. But you are right, if going to jump in, must as well have the bulbs with me to finish compared to 'lets just look and see, first'.
    Thanks. Guess taking off the right side to see what the numbers are on the bulb so I can try to get it back to the shop and see if they will update if needed.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Well, I have the right panel off and I will agree, looks like an LED light to me, of course. Still working on the left panel and it does look tight.

Looking at the picture, does anyone know where that LED came from? From what supplier?

I'm assuming the other is not LED and would like to maybe purchase the same type from someone. Doesn't really have any markings on it other than 19B and it has a little fan on the back of the bulb.

Something I could purchase from local Auto parts store? Or would it be possible to match the Halogen light with an LED set from auto store and install on both sides? Auto LED's work on motorcycles, not sure of pricing of them.

Thanks. back to breaking my big hands on the left side...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nuttymopar View Post
    Guess taking off the right side to see what the numbers are on the bulb so I can try to get it back to the shop and see if they will update if needed.
    Honestly, if you're going to go to the trouble of swapping out both for LEDs, I'd just contact LaMonster (or Slingmods) and buy the pair. That way you KNOW both will be the same. Then you only have to remove tupperware once. I think an entire kit (pair of LED bulbs) runs around $100. If you tried to source just 1 (and hope to get the right one), it might run you close to that. Plus, you never know how old the current LED bulb is.

Spyder Garage

Looks like they have you covered. Some of these "mickey mouse" things can turn into a real project.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

you are correct on the mickey mouse simple change of things. They become RATS...lol
    I pulled the plug and purchased a matching pair from SlingMods. They were on sale for $65 so can't complain too much. Looks as though the ONE that I do have, may be from BRP as the picture looks almost the same except it didn't have the rubber washer on my bulb, might be on the housing unit.
    Well, time to put it all back together until parts come.

Thanks to all.

Spyder Garage

Did u buy T-2's ? If so.....how are they?
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White