Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

My way of thinking is that when these egg heads design these things they should be shot at first light if they design some thing that takes 3.5 or 4,3 qt's of oil on a full service!!!! round it off to a full qt, OMG make the tank bigger so there's no way you can over fill!!! Round the amount to a full gt, is that so hard! Because you are going to get some oil monkey that don't want to take the time and fully warm it up and check the level, they are going to say what's .3 qt's it will fit!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

did they get it fixed? I had 2012 RT I put around 50k on, and while fairly reliable, it always used oil between changes. there are O rings on the filter housings as well as crush washers on the oil lines Id have looked at. Was always a pain to change oil on and you have to make sure you fill it correctly. my 2014 never uses any oil in over 7000 miles the longest ive gone between changes.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

All right I am happy to report the saga is finally over. Sierra cycles was able to fix the bike for real this time. The problem was the the o-ring and seals around the water pump shaft. On page 1 I had a premonition and it came true.

It was touch and go with Sierra but in the end they more than made up for any issues we had. They knocked 130 dollars off my bill and the owner brought the bike back to me. They also replaced some clutch basket springs that were worn free of charge while they were in there. Most importantly they have competent tech who can actually figure out what is wrong with an older Spyder.

FYI they do not have a pick up or delivery service. I used Freedom towing to get it there (it's about $250 from Tucson). Ride now had killed our battery because the bike went almost 2 months without being ridden or charged. It was weak the week before we took it to Sierra and then the day we were ready to take it, it wouldn't start.

All total the actual bill was $840
    $140 for a new battery
    $44 for leak diagnosis (only took the tech Dave 0.5 hr to figure out where the leak was from)
    $444 to repair water pump shaft gaskets and o-rings
    $166 for an oil change (yikes) I decided to just do it while it would be down.
    $12 for shop supplies
    $30 for tax

but they only made me pay $700. Great customer service!

The bike is running and shifting better than ever.

Hopefully, it will be another year before something goes wrong.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The best thing is your happy and up and running better than ever. Now go enjoy some wind therapy and when you get back
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOW, that simply takes my breath away. "...only $700", you certainly have a better attitude than I.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around $444 to repair water pump shaft gaskets and O-rings. But I would have a real issue
    with that $166 for an oil change, when they've already removed all the plastic.

Thank you for the extended cost list, it certainly will influence me if I have issues that need to be addressed.

Like Click and Clack always used to say: "It must have been time for a boat payment". LOL
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear Sierra Cycles took good care of you. It's worth a trip down there in my opinion. Can't imagine what Ride Now would have charged you.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888