Spyder Garage

Default What is the deal with deleting the catalytic converter?

So what is the deal with deleting the catalytic converter. I know there is a big weight saving. Maybe a bit more hp and a bit better mileage. Is that the reason people are doing the cat delete?

Spyder Garage

Some do it for the weight loss, some for the heat loss, some for the sound difference. The cat holds a lot of heat under the seat. I removed it for a while but then I felt there were leftover exhaust fumes that were much more noticeable. I put it back on
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Is that common? Fumes after installing?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Lamonster cat delete on my 2014 since the week it was new and never noticed any fumes or other negative effects...I like it...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did the same as "larryd." Same year spyder and got the same results. I put one cone baffle (screen style) in the cat delete. Slightly lower tone note and no difference in MPG. The ECU controls that. Possibly gain a little in the lower RPM range with the baffle and on the upper RPM's w/o the baffle. The cat delete is a mod that will take many miles to break even on, if at all. If you are shopping for more power go straight to "stage 2." Best bang for the buck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
    So what is the deal with deleting the catalytic converter. I know there is a big weight saving. Maybe a bit more hp and a bit better mileage. Is that the reason people are doing the cat delete?
    i have a RLS ceramic coated cat delete which is about a 25lb weight savings. I did it to cut down on the heat. Definitely louder with no baffles and an Akra Sinister pipe. The tone is deep and the only time I notice fumes is when backing into the garage. Seen maybe +1-2 mpg at best, but i can ride more aggressive without the heat buildup.

Spyder Garage

If you are really looking to cut some serious weight; switching to one of RLS mufflers, like the "Torpedo" really makes a huge difference. I weighed the stock monster- muffler at around 35 lbs, and the new glass-pack replacement was just under 10 lbs. Way better sound and less weight.

Spyder Garage

Other than making your Spyder lighter, you will never notice any difference in weight with the exhaust being that close to the ground. Sound, pure and simple...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Sound and maybe the heat issue. The latter may depend on the climate where you live. I never understood the weight savings issue with a Spyder. I don't drag mine up a flight of stairs every evening so who cares about shaving a few pounds off the Spyder.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All of the above and if you think about it these cat deletes are free with the fuel savings over time and..............................

927855_488323324607672_1234041494_a.jpg

Win win!!
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of these posts are definitely making up my mind on whether I want to do a cat delete or not.

The answer is an emphatic NO!

We are not "aggressive" riders, have never noticed any heat build-up.

Is it really important to shave 25 pounds off an 1100 pound machine?

Since the ECM controls the engine, the fuel economy will likely not improve (much).

But the biggest reason is ... NOISE. No sir, NOT going to have it.

I'm in Maggie Valley right now. I have heard all kinds of sounds coming from various Spyders. Some of them are almost pleasant, most are rather obnoxious. I can't imagine listening to that for hundreds of miles per day. For several days.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forgot to add.........it drowns out the concentration sapping extraneous noises a bit on long trips.I love everything about my Spyder and prefer the sound of a happy engine talking to me versus wind howl,music or static from the comm set.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I installed a cat delete pipe on my 2020 RT yesterday and rode 100+ miles today. I still have the OEM muffler. I like the sound level increase w/o the baffles. It's a little louder but not obnoxious. I wear earplugs and the added volume lets me use the engine sound for shift points until I become 'one' with the bike.
    Weight, heat, and economy were not considerations when I opted for the change.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did the cat delete on my 2016 F3T about 2 months ago. I still have the stock muffler, but did not use the baffle in the cat delete pipe. To me, it is a bit louder than I want. But I plan on doing the stage 1 or 2 cpu upgrade. With that, I don't think it would be as effective with the baffle. And once you put the baffle in, I believe it would be a major job extracting it from the pipe. So I will keep it as is for now. I can't tell a major difference with the exhaust fumes, but the throttle response is a lot better. I think it might have lost a very little on bottom end, but more than made up for it on the top end.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

finally put the cat delete on my 2013 RT sm5....noticed the difference in sound and performance right away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    finally put the cat delete on my 2013 RT sm5....noticed the difference in sound and performance right away.
    We have the 2013 STS SM5, which I'm thinking would be about the same amount of work as the RT, maybe a bit less. I do have a couple questions
    if you don't mind: Where did you get your cat delete? Is RLS the only source? I love to tinker and modify my rides, but I'm having trouble working my
    mind around $425 for a small piece of pipe to replace the cat. Was it a fair amount of work to change out the cat?

TIA for any feedback.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I bought mine on ebay for $172
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyd...72.m2749.l2649

Don't know if it's a match for you.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I bought mine on ebay for $172
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyd...72.m2749.l2649

Don't know if it's a match for you.
    It's not, your link is to a 1330 cat delete, Possible (Peggy and Howard) have a 998, it takes a completely different Cat Delete.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I got mine from one of the guys on site who put it up for sale. Quite reasonable price. I had it installed at the shop because I didn’t have what was needed to lift it up in my garage to get’er done… Shop charge me two hours labor which I think was a good deal… I knew it worked well
    When I saw the tech ridei it out of the shop for the test drive like he was stealing it. No regrets.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

The cat delete, to me, seems more of a "I can tinker with my bike, so I will" issue. The actual benefits seem a bit dodgy.
    I can't imagine that saving 25 lbs on a 1000 pound machine makes that much difference to performance or gas mileage.
    Some people like the sound, others don't.
    So in my view, it comes down to a matter of taste.
    One small point, by removing the catalytic converter, you're changing the characteristics of the exhaust system. Sound is one aspect, but you're also increasing the emissions.
    For those who are environmentally conscious, that's a bad thing.
    For all others, it's still illegal.
    I'm not sure how you'd ever get caught, but it wouldn't be a good day if you were.

For myself, I just don't see the need, but as they say, your mileage may vary (literally).
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey