Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of purchasing a Spyder Touring

Hi everyone, I am new to motorcycles / Spyders, but my wife really likes the Spyders. I've googled around the internet, but not really finding what I am looking for. Hoping this nice forum can help me.

• What's the reliability of Spyders?
    • Are certain years better than others (looking at 2018 and up)?
    • We need something comfortable for my wife, which Limited is best?
    • My wife and my combined weight is about 430, does that impact what we should be looking at?
    • Are there any good articles that talk about Spyders? I have googled this (please don't spam on this question)
    • I haven't had a regular motorcycle, so this is new to me. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You will probably get various opinions/answer to your questions.

Reverse trikes are easy to ride - IMHO. Courses are offered in many states - highly recommend taking a rider's safety course - lots of cagers out there that don't see u. Always assume u are invisible when riding a motorcycle.

Spyder's have many build in safety features that makes riding safer.

My thoughts: 1. Reliability: from my experience of having owned 2008 RS/2015 F3-S and now 2020 RT - is they are very reliable. I don't know if there is any data on internet in this area. My only failure was with 2008 - clutch slipping (a wear item).

2. 2018 and up you should be fine since they all use 1330 engine - less maintenance and doesn't burn oil.

3. Some things to consider on which Spyder. How do u plan to use it and comfort level. Mostly riding around town with short trips or semi-frequent long trips. Sport performance rider or cruiser or a little of both. Any Spyder can be modded for touring.

The riding position of the F3 platform and RT are totally different. To me F3: u set down in it - more of like a lounge chair. RT u sit up on - more like sitting at dining room table.

F3 is available in sport and touring models (Limited version as well). The RT is touring with the Limited offering more creature comforts. To me there is no best. Both F3 and RT are great reverse trikes, and the only game in town.

Try youtube - BRP has a channel which gives features and riding attributes of each model.

New to u: Try and find dealers with models that u can try out - not easy to find any in some areas. Best to try before u buy. I never have but would highly recommend doing so.

Riding weight shouldn't be an issue, since if necessary aftermarket shocks are available. Maybe more research in this area is needed, since I've never went over 300 lbs.- rider plus baggage.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great advice, so much to take in. If the F3 is more like a lounger, would you say that might be more comfortable for my wife?

I've been looking into the Trike classes, there's one in Denver, not too far from me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice, so much to take in. If the F3 is more like a lounger, would you say that might be more comfortable for my wife?

I've been looking into the Trike classes, there's one in Denver, not too far from me.
    The F-3 is more comfortable for me (I am 5'8 32 sleeve length and 30 inch inseam), however ur wife needs to try both - even if riding isn't an option - then she should be able to tell allot from just sitting on one.

The F3 has I think 5 different foot peg and brake pedal locations available to accommodate rider sizes - if I remember correctly from 5'0 to 6'3". I'm at the standard factory setting of 3 (5'8") - Also different handlebars can be used to get correct reach.
    I use a F3 handlebar on my RT.

Check out, if u haven't BRP website - they show riding position and reference height - of course height isn't everything but gives an idea and a good starting point.

The RT has huge floorboards (my 2020 is my only reference) but the brake pedal is not moveable. Which is why u must at least sit on one to see if it'll work.
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Dave31,

Have to make a little change to BeRight's comments. You actually can look for at least the Spyder RT Limited starting with 2014's and forward have the 1330 engines. Before that year they came with 998?. I've been riding motorcycles for the past 49 years. I just purchased my first 2014 Spyder RTLimited used with only 6,000 miles on it last year. Bought it without any pre-thought. Traded in my 2005 Honda GoldWing with 150,000 miles only because I was starting to get unsure of myself in the turns. This is so very comfortable to ride. I did go a take a one day riding class because it is so different driving it. well worth the $99. Four months later my husband decided to trade his Goldwing in for a 2014 Spyder RTLimited with less mileage that I got mine. You think now that you'll ride two up - be careful you just might be ending up with TWO of them. I personally choose the RT over the F3 because I travel a lot more than my husband who still works and I need the storage space which I didn't think the F3 offered me. That's something you'll also need to think about - are you planning on traveling? How much and how far?

Good luck with your decision. Don't feel like you need to go for a brand new bike, these seem to hold their value. I presently have over 23,000 miles and am ready to leave in the morning for a long weekend trip.

Sandie in
    Louisburg, NC
    2014 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the response. Very good question. To start, we'd like to ride it around Colorado on the weekends. Obviously not in the cold season :-)

Spyder Garage

I took the BRP rider/safety course for a number of reasons including; getting a comprehensive introduction to the spyder, experienced a lot of the lower speed operational characteristics of the bike, was able to ride a couple models of the bike and was able to spend a half day riding the spyder. I also had a number of years riding two wheeled bikes and found the difference to be significant. To me it was time and money well spent.

One issue not often discussed but was critical in our decision on which model to choose, we chose the 2019 F3L, was the ability of my wife to see forward over my head. She did not want to have to lean to the side and look around me which was the case on the LT. I can’t speak about the 2020 and 2021 models. Plus, depending on the height differences between the couple riding forward visibility may not ever be an option but for us it was and varied from bike to bike on both two and three wheels.
    Poasttown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OH - u might want to check to see if there is a Spyder club in your area. There are lots of them around. They will have a website/forum for arranging group rides. Fewer now with COVID.

I find Spyder owner's love to share their Spyder love and give u the chance to get up front and personal with the Spyder. Even if no group rides, I'm sure you would find a member willing to meet up.

To bad your not in my area - I would take you to a nearby school parking lot (virtual schooling only in my area, so no one around) and let you ride it.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You mentioned you are searching for articles on Spyder's

https://www.webbikeworld.com/?s=can-am+spyder
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I personally like the semi auto trans and power steering .

Please test ride the different models and see what is best for your needs. Not everyone has the same opinion on spyders. I hear the 21 models have more room in the saddle area for driver and passenger. Good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave31 View Post

We've been riding the RT LTD since 2012 and my sweetheart is very comfortable as am I. If you want to take a trike course check out the BRP website. BRP offers trike training for the reduced price of $99. You have to register on the BRP website there are 4 locations in Colorado: Aurora, Denver, Colorado Springs and Lakewood. Good Luck on you choice.

Spyder Garage

The first thing you should do IMO is find out if you need at least a motorcycle learner's permit to test ride Spyders. That's your first hurdle. Since you've never had a motorcycle you won't have two wheel habits to unlearn as you can ride a Spyder very much like driving a car. You absolutely must test ride both the RT and F3 models, first by yourself and then with your wife. This is for your and her safety. I agree with Sandie's suggestion about looking at previously owned RTs, MY '14 and later, and F3s. You will avoid a depreciation hit doing that should you ultimately find that Spydering is not really your cup of tea after you have purchased. Colorado is a great state to ride in by motorcycle or bicycle, have done both. I envy you except for the snow. Good luck in your search and test riding.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    You will probably get various opinions/answer to your questions.

Reverse trikes are easy to ride - IMHO. Courses are offered in many states - highly recommend taking a rider's safety course - lots of cagers out there that don't see u. Always assume u are invisible when riding a motorcycle.

Spyder's have many build in safety features that makes riding safer.

My thoughts: 1. Reliability: from my experience of having owned 2008 RS/2015 F3-S and now 2020 RT - is they are very reliable. I don't know if there is any data on internet in this area. My only failure was with 2008 - clutch slipping (a wear item).

2. 2018 and up you should be fine since they all use 1330 engine - less maintenance and doesn't burn oil.

3. Some things to consider on which Spyder. How do u plan to use it and comfort level. Mostly riding around town with short trips or semi-frequent long trips. Sport performance rider or cruiser or a little of both. Any Spyder can be modded for touring.

The riding position of the F3 platform and RT are totally different. To me F3: u set down in it - more of like a lounge chair. RT u sit up on - more like sitting at dining room table.

F3 is available in sport and touring models (Limited version as well). The RT is touring with the Limited offering more creature comforts. To me there is no best. Both F3 and RT are great reverse trikes, and the only game in town.

Try youtube - BRP has a channel which gives features and riding attributes of each model.

New to u: Try and find dealers with models that u can try out - not easy to find any in some areas. Best to try before u buy. I never have but would highly recommend doing so.

Riding weight shouldn't be an issue, since if necessary aftermarket shocks are available. Maybe more research in this area is needed, since I've never went over 300 lbs.- rider plus baggage.
    Two corrections to the above answers ..... The ...1330 ... engine was introduced in 2014 ... and at 430lbs.... you at or a little above the max rider & passenger load, so better springs might be advisable ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We chose an RT over an F3, mainly because of riding position. This is HER Spyder, so SHE was the one to choose which model, but I fully agree with her choice.

We found a '17 that was first sold in '18, so it still had a bit of the factory 2-year warranty left. That allowed us to extend it another three years, until June, 2023.

I'm still out on two wheels, she has just switched from two to three. She is comfortable on it now, and it's nice to know that when we are out, either one of us can hop on the back seat of the other bike and travel 2-up, if necessary.

You asked which models or years to look for, I'll offer the limited amount that I know.
    1. The 1330 engine was introduced in the RT line in 2014. Not sure about when it showed up in the F3.
    2. The RT is available in various years in Standard (Base), RT-S, and RT-Limited, which offer different options and colors. All are good, just that some are better.
    3. Some models have a manual clutch and gearshift (designated by SM-6), others have a semi-automatic gearshift with automatic clutch (designated SE-6). As a new rider, the SE-6 will likely do better for you.
    4. There are MANY aftermarket options that can be added. Some for performance, some for handling, some are purely for convenience or cosmetics. Be advised that NONE of them is cheap.
    5. Model Year (MY) 2014 through MY 2017 had radio and "entertainment" options that were modules that plugged into the base radio. In MY 2018 that changed to mostly BlueTooth connectivity, using apps on your phone. Since I don't do that much with my phone, I specifically looked for MY '14 - MY '17 and found one.
    6. 2020 RT styling changed considerably. It looks more like the F3, but still has a mostly upright seating position.

Good luck with your search.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    OH - u might want to check to see if there is a Spyder club in your area. There are lots of them around. They will have a website/forum for arranging group rides. Fewer now with COVID.

I find Spyder owner's love to share their Spyder love and give u the chance to get up front and personal with the Spyder. Even if no group rides, I'm sure you would find a member willing to meet up.

To bad your not in my area - I would take you to a nearby school parking lot (virtual schooling only in my area, so no one around) and let you ride it.
    That would be awesome. You might be near my sister though, she's in Maryland.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    We've been riding the RT LTD since 2012 and my sweetheart is very comfortable as am I. If you want to take a trike course check out the BRP website. BRP offers trike training for the reduced price of $99. You have to register on the BRP website there are 4 locations in Colorado: Aurora, Denver, Colorado Springs and Lakewood. Good Luck on you choice.
    I hadn't seen that, thank you.

Spyder Garage

Not 100% up to date for the latest models, but absolutely the most important thing to read and the best place to start:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

This thread is always easy to find as it is stuck here at the top:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ral-Discussion
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.