Spyder Garage

Default Bad Motor - 2012 RTL

My dad just got the call from the shop that the motor in gone on his 2012 RTL that he bought used a couple months ago. The spyder has less than 13k miles, including the 200 miles he has put on it.

He is going to look at it in the morning to figure out exactly what went wrong but he is not looking forward to the $5500 they quoted him to fix the engine.

Has anybody replaced the motor, is it worth trying to find one and replace as a unit instead of having the dealer rebuild? I looked on copart and found a few but you never know what shape those motors will be in either.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited (hers)
    2010 Voyager (also hers but only as a passenger)

Spyder Garage

Less than 13K miles. Needs a new motor. Must have suffered some very abnormal abuse to need a new motor. My first question would be how trustworthy is the shop? What do they determine failed and why?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

:agree .... Something smells Bad in this one ..... sending er's .... Mike

Spyder Garage

They could just be scared because it’s the 998

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Engines do fail. My 1330 failed at 32k and its not the only one. Its not common but they do happen.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The 2012 is considered the best year for that particular model. At 13K miles, it's not even broken in yet. I would have the dealer or a different dealer run the VIN and get the repair history on the machine for starters.

We either have a case of bad advice from the dealer, or the bike was "driven like it was stolen," to ruin the engine.

Let us know what you find out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Find out why they want to scrap the motor.

If your thinking of doing it yourself, look for a used engine on Ebay to get an of the cost of an engine swap. Buy a shop manual to get an idea of the level of effort required.

If your going to fix it buy a shop manual and see if you can do it and then price out the parts. Some parts like the hose clamps are criminally expensive, others seem reasonable.

Make sure you have a large space to store the panels and all of the other stuff you have to pull off. I have a small garage and I am having to store stuff in my pickup in spite of things hanging on the walls and off the rafters.

And get ready to cuss as they have not designed this thing to be easily repaired. I know as I may have to pull my engine later this month.

Good luck and please keep us informed.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One possibility I think. The 998 uses oil, about a quart every 1000 miles. Maybe the original owner wasn't aware or was too careless and let the engine run out of oil. If it didn't run long w/o oil to seize the engine the owner may have just put oil in and thought that fixed it. Now, many miles later the hidden damage has become visible.

I believe, given the overall reliability of the 998 engine, the best approach is the buy a low mileage engine from a salvage yard.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Note all of this information is coming second hand as I have not seen any internal pictures; my original post was hoping to gain information on the difficulty of an engine swap.

It appears there may have been something put in the gas (sugar comes to mind) and then cleaned up before the Spyder was dumped at a dealer where my dad bought it. There is excessive corrosion and pitting in the intake and head and the valves are sticking open.

The current thinking is to bring it home and clean the head/valves up and see how far the damage goes. If it is warranted we will get a used engine and do the swap. He has the service manual and my brother is a mechanic so barring any specialty tools we should be good to go.

He is going to the shop today, I told him to run the VIN for the service history.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited (hers)
    2010 Voyager (also hers but only as a passenger)

Spyder Garage

There was a thread here sometime in the past couple of years, I think, where a member describes his venture into rebuilding a 998 engine. It probably would be worthwhile finding it. As I remember there was quite a bit of good info in it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I've had good luck running a heavy dose Marvel Mystery Oil in the engine oil and in the fuel. I wouldn't put any load on the engine (ride it anywhere). But running it for 10 minutes, shutting it off, letting it cool down and doing it again a few times has unstuck a few valves for me over the years without a tear-down. A lot of variables so no guarantees. But it's a cheap and easy try. Especially when you have nothing to lose.

The 998 is a pretty bullet proof engine. But no engine can stand up to outright abuse.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

This might be the one I remember seeing. The poster has a lot of photos and comments.
    Oops, forgot the link!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...own+998+engine

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

had 4500 miles on a 1330 plastic gear in oil pump failed brp said to warranty it with a new motor , too many parts were floating around in motor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brad0414 View Post
    had 4500 miles on a 1330 plastic gear in oil pump failed brp said to warranty it with a new motor , too many parts were floating around in motor
    A good idea if you have a disintegrating part failure. But according the the OP, it's just sticking valves, in this case. As long as the valves are not bent or otherwise compromised. Cleaning them might just solve the problem as there would be no loose parts floating around inside the motor to worry about.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6