Spyder Garage

Default How do I Disassemble the fuel pump assembly - 2008 Spyder GS990

2008 Spyder GS990.
    Fuel pump is not working. I took the tank off (what a pain) and removed the fuel pump assembly. 510 for a OEM fuel pump assembly, holy cow. There's some fuel pump only on Amazon for around 70. Has anyone used these fuel pumps? Are they any good?

How do you get the fuel pump out of the fuel pump housing? I don't want to break it and have to get the whole assembly.

Thanks,
    LarDog

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Wheelerlardog View Post
    2008 Spyder GS990.
    Fuel pump is not working. I took the tank off (what a pain) and removed the fuel pump assembly. 510 for a OEM fuel pump assembly, holy cow. There's some fuel pump only on Amazon for around 70. Has anyone used these fuel pumps? Are they any good?

How do you get the fuel pump out of the fuel pump housing? I don't want to break it and have to get the whole assembly.

Thanks,
    LarDog
    I had the same situation with my 2007 Can Am Outlander 800 Max XT. I found just the pumps on eBay for $30. Worked good for me, and they come with instructions and many extra pieces you will need like the new fuel strain, flex hose, electrical connector, lifetime warranty, etc. Just search for KEMSO Intank Fuel Pump for Can-Am Spyder F3 2008-2017 pumps.

Regards,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check here if you need a pump...Lifetime warranty and under $100.00...

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23904...UaAg5eEALw_wcB

Many here have used their pumps on Spyders, ATV's and many other applications....

Spyder Garage

So I got the fuel pump assembly apart. Had to push in 2 tabs (without breaking them) and pull it apart.

There are 2 hoses as part of the fuel pump assembly. These are the hoses that are part of the fuel pump assembly and inside the tank. On top of the assembly (the part you can see on top of the tank) 2 hoses come from the fuel pump assembly, F and R. I'm guessing F is for fuel as it goes to the fuel filter. The R I'm guessing is for return as it goes to the intake manifold (if that's what it's called with EFI) for venting. The 2 hoses that are part of the fuel pump assembly (inside the tank) connect to these (F and R). Both of mine are broken. Only 1 comes with the new pump.

Where can I get another hose? I've looked around and can't seem to find them. I only find them as part of the $510 OEM fuel pump assembly. Are there other types of hoses I can use that are ok being in the fuel tank?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Here's a pic of the hose I'm talking about...IMG_3162.jpg

Spyder Garage

That looks like every Gm fuel pump module I’ve ever replaced.I would take that down to my local mechanic and ask if he had any cores around that maybe you could take the hoses off or other parts.I wonder if a parts store could match it up to a common pump style.I think Rock auto has pics on their website that might help you.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I got the new fuel pump. A fuel strainer also came with it. IMG_3179.jpg
    The old fuel strainer had totally disintegrated and I don't know the shape of it. The new fuel strainer seems way big and I can't get it to fit. I'm wondering if it's the wrong size. IMG_3180.jpgIMG_3181.jpg
    Has anyone replace the fuel strainer or seen what it should look like?
    Also, there was only a single spring and it looks like there should be two. I hope just one is ok. IMG_3163.jpgIMG_3164.jpg

Spyder Garage

Got a few shots this evening of the fuel pump assembly from my 08 GS with fire damage.

Hope something here helps. If there is anything I can help clarify in the pics I will certainly try.
    This is a bit of blind leading the blind as I have no experience with this fuel pump but we might bump into something together.

20201016_171158.jpg 20201016_171432.jpg 20201016_171302.jpg
    20201016_171405.jpg 20201016_171213.jpg 20201016_175746.jpg

Spyder Garage

Just replaced my pump on the 2010 rt. Had it quit on me shortly after and found the new hose had come off. New hose was had to push on at that time but was real easy to put back on and easy to pull off. I recommend pump clamps on bolt ends so you aren't going back it to this later or be shut down some where.