Spyder Garage

Default Zenon HID lights - Has anyone installed HID's without problems?

I recently had Zenon H.I.D head light bulbs installed, the first thing I noticed is that it didn't start the way it used to. It would run for a second and stall out. The next time it would run properly. So I took off on it and the next problem I experienced is after hard starting it wouldn't go into gear. After much sweating , cursing, and cajoling, I got it into gear and drove straight home. I put the original Halogen lamps back in, problem solved.
    So here is what I would love feedback on, is there a way to put in a circuit to fool the computer into thinking it has the Halogens in while actually having the Zenon bulbs in? Has anyone successfully installed a set of HID lamps without problems.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Spyder Garage

there is an OEM kit. found on on fleabay
    2009 GS , MSD wires Red/Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phobius View Post
    I recently had Zenon H.I.D head light bulbs installed, the first thing I noticed is that it didn't start the way it used to. It would run for a second and stall out. The next time it would run properly. So I took off on it and the next problem I experienced is after hard starting it wouldn't go into gear. After much sweating , cursing, and cajoling, I got it into gear and drove straight home. I put the original Halogen lamps back in, problem solved.
    So here is what I would love feedback on, is there a way to put in a circuit to fool the computer into thinking it has the Halogens in while actually having the Zenon bulbs in? Has anyone successfully installed a set of HID lamps without problems.
    I haven't heard of this issue occurring related to an H.I.D. swap ..... I think the installer did something wrong. Telling us what Spyder / year etc. you have is ALWAYS helpful ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

2010 RS I checked the install there really isn't much to it. Plug the exciter module into the stock connector install the lamps in the receptacle. That's really it. I changed the lamps out after the problem started and no more issues.

Spyder Garage

Don't have any experience with HID headlights but was having problems with VSS error messages and going into Limp Home mode. Changed LED taillights out for stock filament types and the problem was solved. As a result, I'd be very leary about changing bulbs anywhere because of what appears to be a hypersensitive electronic sensor system. Check out my thread HERE.

Spyder Garage

I've heard of instances where the HID circuit interferes with the electronics on the older semi auto shifting.

My recommendation: Go with LED's. Newer technology. Instant on light, and no interference with the electronics. To make double certain of compatibility, get the LEDs from Lamonster Garage.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey