Spyder Garage

Default Back Brake pad repl - have I compressed the piston enough?

Tried today to replace rear brakes on a 2010 rt. I compressed the caliper as much as it would go, but still pads are too close together to slip on to rotor. I am using Volar pads. Could it be the Volar pads are too thick? Anybody have experience with Volar pads? Maybe stick with oem parts?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2020 at 02:45 PM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the piston as far back as it will go? Most pads are basically the same size for the application. How much distance do you lack for the rotor to fit between the pads?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

If you haven't compressed/retracted the piston so that it's completely flush with the caliper body, then you've got more piston retraction to do!

It's really not too often these days that brake pads labelled to fit any particular application won't actually go in & fit properly; so unless those Volar pads are just something you thought might fit & bought on the off chance, &/or they weren't specifically labelled or sourced as being suitable for a 2010 Spyder, then you can most likely assume that they WILL fit correctly without mods once you've got everything else done properly!

IIRC, the pre-Brembo brakes on the 'earlier than 2013 Spyders' had some particular method for properly retracting the piston... something to do with the park brake actuating lever?? Anyone?? BajaRon knows Spyder brakes, he might be able to help with that.....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dont you have to turn the rear pistons to get them to retract?

Spyder Garage

the shaft that the parking brake wheel goes on has to be backed off thats on the caliper,have replaced my pads a few times

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Dont you have to turn the rear pistons to get them to retract?
    That's for the 2013 & on Brembo's - they 'screw in'; but the earlier brakes were an 'in-house' caliper with a different piston retraction method....

Sounds like Gordy's got it covered tho!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!