Spyder Garage

Default What's with pressing the ECO Button before starting?

Owned my 2015 Spyder RT Special for 24 hours now and am delighted with all of the features but am puzzled with the ECO button on thr top of the left grip. I have read most of the owners manual and find no mention. Specifically here is my problem: When I attempt to start the engine, I put the transmission in Neutral, turn the key to on, and push the starter button. I then get a message "Read Safety Card and push ECO button". After pushing the button the starter button is activated and all is right with the world as the engine starts.
    I really hate that extra step with every engine start.
    Thanks in advance to any of you experienced riders who can help with my problem.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RedRover View Post
    Owned my 2015 Spyder RT Special for 24 hours now and am delighted with all of the features but am puzzled with the ECO button on thr top of the left grip. I have read most of the owners manual and find no mention. Specifically here is my problem: When I attempt to start the engine, I put the transmission in Neutral, turn the key to on, and push the starter button. I then get a message "Read Safety Card and push ECO button". After pushing the button the starter button is activated and all is right with the world as the engine starts.
    I really hate that extra step with every engine start.
    Thanks in advance to any of you experienced riders who can help with my problem.
    Unfortunately, you have one choice available. Deal with it! There is no way to disable it other than some options for flashing the Engine Control Module. At least you don't have to wait for the bootup process to complete like you do with pre-2015 Spyders. Why the admonishment to read the safety card exists, we have no idea. Probably Canadian lawyer influence.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yes the ECU flash is expensive way to fix the ECO button and 20 sec wait ( frustrating). But---- with the ECO fix you get an extra 15 horsepower in the bargain.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having to press the "ECO" button (later rebadged as the "Mode" button although the function didn't change) is annoying, but I'm guessing it's just as Idaho said. It's a legal thing to encourage you to read the safety card. On earlier models, it also gives the electronics time to boot up. If you're robbing a bank and need a quick getaway vehicle, pick something other than a Can Am Spyer. (I've owned my 2018 RTL for about 9 months. Not sure I've read the card yet. Unless BuRP lawyers are reading this in which case, I read it every time I start the bike. Sometimes I even stop during a ride just to re-read it.)

Spyder Garage

Spyders have had the Mode button since initial introduction. From MY 2008-2012 it was on the Multifunction Gauge Cluster and was moved to the left handgrip in MY 2013. The "ECO" appears above the Mode button so the operator knows to give the button a long push to get into or out of that infernal mode while motoring down the road without having to take a hand off the bars to make the change -- a move obviously dictated by the corporate ambulance chasers.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

As said above...same button different features. Mode/Eco are the same button. Mode tells the computer that you have read the safety card. A longer press initiates the Eco process. Slowed down gear ratios and supposed to be better mileage. I don't think 1 to 1.5 gallons does it for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Or you could have this on the card. ( Thanks to Bob Denman )

Safety card.jpg
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

After 1,000+ cold starts, pushing the mode button, releasing parking brake button, and flipping the kill switch to on position becomes pure habit that you do not even need to think about.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

A waste of time and engineering. Just my opinion, but nothing we can do about it easily.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    A waste of time and engineering.
    This is another one of those times when I ask the question:

"Why did they make it so difficult?
    With just a little more engineering, they could have made it IMPOSSIBLE."

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought (and I could be wrong...I'm neither a lawyer nor Canadian) but maybe Canadian law (where the BuRPs are built) requires something to "encourage" the reading of the safety card. I'm sure this is more of a holdover from the earlier models that took time to boot the system but if there's some sort of Canadian law...........

Again, just a thought.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Just a thought (and I could be wrong...I'm neither a lawyer nor Canadian) but maybe Canadian law (where the BuRPs are built) requires something to "encourage" the reading of the safety card. I'm sure this is more of a holdover from the earlier models that took time to boot the system but if there's some sort of Canadian law...........

Again, just a thought.
    There is no such Canadian law.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ok. It was just a thought. Like I said, I'm neither Canadian nor a lawyer although I've been to Canada enough times, I feel like I ought to be a citizen.

Spyder Garage

Maybe you shouldn't try to remove the message. It would be a lot better to change the wording of the message to some 'wise A' saying such as the one on the bottom of my Sportster mirrors when the key comes on.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

The ECU flash removes that startup procedure PLUS puts a smile on your face

Spyder Garage

But it does give you the "inside" info you need to start the bike... the uninitiated non-Spyder ryder can't just start your bike!

As Bill Murray said on Caddyshack - "So I got that goin for me, which is always nice"
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey RedRover! How about a response to let us know you've read our comments. We'd appreciate it! Otherwise we don't know if we are just blathering in thin air or if we have helped you. Thanks.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)