Spyder Garage

Default Tilting Can-Am Ryker Conversion

This was posted on You tube

https://youtu.be/ohGvHS34Eeo
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Interesting but not informative teaser video. The Ryker itself looks pretty nice, but the rider is all over the road - doesn't seem to be able to hold a line. Then again, it may be the machine and not the rider. I visited their website and, surprise of surprises, its under construction. Check back soon is the best piece of information offered.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, thank you. Looks like a manta ray on wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Not much tilt.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I test rode a Piaggio MP3 a few years ago, and they tilt way over. They also are much narrower in the front. It was kind of cool, and
    handled pretty darn well. This one looks more like a gimmick than something that would have a real benefit over a regular Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Some lap times would tell the story.Could be over engineering for the hell of it.Weight, cost, looks??????????
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I think if it tilted very much you'd have to ditch the car tires for motorcycle tires in the front. You'd lose a fair amount of tread to road contact.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Interesting , only the front wheels tilt . wouldn't want to do a alignment on it .
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I test rode a Piaggio MP3 a few years ago, and they tilt way over. They also are much narrower in the front. It was kind of cool, and
    handled pretty darn well. This one looks more like a gimmick than something that would have a real benefit over a regular Spyder.
    I heard Aprilia just registered a patent for tilt 2 wheel up front moto. Aprilia is owned by- you guessed it Piaggio.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    I heard Aprilia just registered a patent for tilt 2 wheel up front moto. Aprilia is owned by- you guessed it Piaggio.
    yes .. they use a very interesting CVT gearbox

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...ng-mana-trike/
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think if it tilted very much you'd have to ditch the car tires for motorcycle tires in the front. You'd lose a fair amount of tread to road contact.
    Yeah, I totally agree! I looked at the pictures on their website, it is quite hard to tell, but to me it looks like they did change to motorcycle tires in back and front.
    Curious to see how this thing actually handles, so will be interesting to see some reviews, if this concept actually makes it that far.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    :agree .... you beat me to this conclusion ...... from the video I think they kept the OEM tires because IF they didn't the wheels / rims would have to be changed to a Motorcycle type I would nece use a Mtc tire on a " J " Bead rim ...... this is a good thing for the reason you stated. I think Auto tires will work well do to the limited amount of lean they show, if it was more, then Real Mtc. tires ( and wheels ) Would be be necessary. .... just my opinion, but I'm not sure much or any Additional traction is being gained ....WHY .... because with BRP's VSS system I think any gains would trigger the Nanny ..... I do like the look though ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    :agree .... you beat me to this conclusion ...... from the video I think they kept the OEM tires because IF they didn't the wheels / rims would have to be changed to a Motorcycle type I would nece use a Mtc tire on a " J " Bead rim ...... this is a good thing for the reason you stated. I think Auto tires will work well do to the limited amount of lean they show, if it was more, then Real Mtc. tires ( and wheels ) Would be be necessary. .... just my opinion, but I'm not sure much or any Additional traction is being gained ....WHY .... because with BRP's VSS system I think any gains would trigger the Nanny ..... I do like the look though ..... Mike
    I think they look like car tires. What I don't get is since only the front wheels lean. What is the advantage? The body doesn't lean any differently than stock (though it looks like they have stiffened up the front end quite a bit). If you watch it over rough spots in the road you can see it's a pretty stiff ride. So, what I see is;

1- The Ryker doesn't lean into the turns like a 2-Wheeled motorcycle does.
    2- The Ryker leans away from the turn (as a stock Ryker does) though not much.
    3- Looks like a very stiff ride.
    4- Tilting the tires/wheels simply compromises the tire to road surface contact. Though, in this application. I don't think by all that much.
    5- Tilting the machine to the INSIDE of the curve is the advantage offered by a true tilting machine. This isn't accomplishing that, so I don't see the advantage.
    6- If the body of the Ryker did tilt. It doesn't look like it could tilt much before dragging something.
    7- The tilting front wheels does give it kind of an 'Edgy' look.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-02-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

as far as I can see .. the "turning circle" seems to be ten times higher as the normal Ryker ?!? Not useable for the roads here in the Alps..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats