Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 590 GPS - Is there a way to show 'last point' when route planning?

I am planning a trip next weekend running through WV and Virginia. I went into the trip function and started mapping out my routes. Is there a way on the 590 when programming the points to show last point of intersection vs always having to finger all over the place from home where I am at now to find the next point? I would think it would simply show last point and then you finger over to the next but it keeps taking me home. Then I have to zoom out finger down zoom in and try to find last point and then mark the next. Hope that makes sense. My snowmobile Montana simply starts your next point at the previous rather than taking you all the way home.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Call Garmin Support, 800-800-1020, and ask them. I have always found them extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I use BaseCamp and upload the routes to my 590. Yes, it has a learning curve that is a bit steep but it's a good program, IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Maybe with the custom route *haven't used much &660* but after adding all the addresses stops for a poker run I could rearrange some. & or let it calculate per whatever settings

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I don't have one of the 590's, so I don't really know Buuut, does your Garmin 590 GPS have a 'Demo mode', where it lets you try/do anything (inc adding routes) without searching for satelites? Because it's ON, but hasn't acquired any satellites, the unit has no idea where it is, and I've used that mode many many times to loading complex routes on my (many) older Garmin GPS units, just adding each stop in turn & then moving on to add the next without ever having to go back to 'Home'?! There again, maybe it was cos I generally use 'Custom Routes' to enter all the waypoints &/or turns/intersections that I want beforehand, and once I'm out there, if I want to change where I'm headed I just use 'Add Stop' from wherever I am?! So that might be another way to go??

That said, I still don't quite understand why your display ends up taking you back to Home all the time.... are you 'adding a stop' or diversion on your already loaded route from X to Y, which shouldn't return you to Home... or are you progressively adding/changing your final destination & /then re-starting the route?? I don't think I've ever experienced what you've described if I don't re-start the route??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

There is a GPS Simulator function in the Navigation settings that I have never used. It's discussed on pg 5 of the owner's guide.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Basically here is what happens. I start new trip Route. When I click on start point and view map I scroll With my finger to where I want to start and zoom in to the point. I click on the map. Then click add new point “browse map.” I want to start in West Virginia but I am programming it from home in PA. Now when I add next stop “or point” browse map, since I am at home and not in West Virginia the map zooms out and shows my current location so I have to scroll all over the map to get back to the next point zooming in and out and sliding since i am at home. I know which roads I want so I have to click on some point Or intersection on each road or the trip automatically redirects the route to the fastest time or shortest distance. I want neither. I simply wish I could open the map and click on a point, then click on next point with it not zooming out and showing me my current location. It should stay zoomed in from the last point, I simply scroll over lets say 2 roads and click next point, and slide over 4 roads to the next point etc. Once I click add point the screen zooms out to my current location and I have to slide all over the map to find the next point. I Also wish it would highlight from point to point as I go so I can see the route being built. Having to end route and then view route and find out it redirected it then add points in between to make it right is a pain. This garmin when I hit next point takes me to my current location on the map then I have to scroll all over and zoom in to find the next point because the map takes me back home each time. I watched videos yesterday on youtube and unless I literally type in an address it looks like it won’t do it. This stinks because lets say you wanted to create a route for covered bridges you have to click on the road. There are no addresses for covered bridges. The other problem now is you have to set a start point and if you are in the middle between the two points and click goto next point it doesn’t follow the route it takes you to the point either the fastest or shortest distance instead of taking you to that point by the way you programmed it. I guess it will be easier in basecamp I just hate using it and transferring it since it takes so long zooming and scrolling. We program the garmin Montana all the time and its very easy on the sleds. I was just hoping this one would be the same.

Peter that is a good Idea! If the satellite wasn’t on and the map was loaded it wouldn’t take me back home but leave me there. I might try that. You might be onto something there.

Spyder Garage

The reason the Zumo is sending you back to your home, despite the fact that you began route route in WV is because the GPS has acquired satellites and therefore your current location has become where the GPS is on the earth regardless of where you are planning the route start from. Try this, in the Zumo go to the Navigation settings and check to see if the Off Route Calculation is set to Automatic; if it is, set it to Off and resume planning your route.

If you go into the GPS Simulator function in the Navigation settings and put a check mark in the box to activate the function it will stop the Zumo from attempting to acquire satellites. Then do your route planning an save it. When you are done, be certain to uncheck the box in the GPS Simulator function or your unit will not acquire satellites the next time you turn it on.

If neither of the two suggestions above work, call Garmin Support.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The reason the Zumo is sending you back to your home, despite the fact that you began route route in WV is because the GPS has acquired satellites and therefore your current location has become where the GPS is on the earth regardless of where you are planning the route start from. Try this, in the Zumo go to the Navigation settings and check to see if the Off Route Calculation is set to Automatic; if it is, set it to Off and resume planning your route.

If you go into the GPS Simulator function in the Navigation settings and put a check mark in the box to activate the function it will stop the Zumo from attempting to acquire satellites. Then do your route planning an save it. When you are done, be certain to uncheck the box in the GPS Simulator function or your unit will not acquire satellites the next time you turn it on.

If neither of the two suggestions above work, call Garmin Support.

THANKS JAYBRO Thats what I was looking for, first suggestion works perfect.

Spyder Garage

You're welcome. Be certain to reset the Off Route Calculation back to Automatic so that if you miss a turn on a route you create the Zumo will get you back on track.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S